Fernando Alonso not racing in Australian Grand Prix

Remove this Banner Ad

Having performed an exhaustive series of tests and scans – some of them as recently as yesterday evening – McLaren-Honda driver Fernando Alonso’s doctors have informed him that they find him asymptomatic of any medical issue; that they see no evidence whatsoever of any injury; and that they therefore describe him as entirely healthy from neurological and cardiac perspectives alike.

However, Fernando’s doctors have recommended to him that, following the concussion he sustained in a testing accident at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya on February 22nd, for the time being he should seek to limit as far as is possible any environmental risk factors that could potentially result in his sustaining another concussion so soon after his previous one, so as to minimise the chances of second impact syndrome, as is normal medical procedure when treating athletes after concussions.

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/inside-the-mtc/fernando-alonso-a-medical-update/

So McLaren's own statement directly contradicts Ron's rubbish about Fernando not suffering concussion.

Don't worry though, just a precautionary trip to hospital. :confused:
I pop in for a 3 night stay myself every now and then. Just to make sure everything's in tip top shape.

Suspect the fact it's Australia was a factor in the decision. If something goes wrong here, you're slamming straight into a wall.

If the first race was Malaysia or Bahrain there's lots of run off there. May have played a role.

Yeah perhaps but even then Melbourne is no Adelaide in that respect. Could the long haul flight also be playing a part ?? Huge news in any case

It was a really strange and 'unique' accident. Real bummer for Fernando. Happy that Magnussen is the one replacing him, I forgot that he got on the podium on debut last year.

Maybe Alonso realises the McLaren Honda is such a long shot in Melbourne that it's not worth the trip or risk? The doctors are using the excuse that he should avoid the chance of a second concussion.

The impact that Alonso suffered wasn't overly big in racing terms and doctors have already said that he shows no signs whatsoever of lingering concussion issues.

There are rumours that Alonso was unconscious before he hit the wall in Spain and electrocution may have been the cause. Maybe Alonso has put his foot down and said that he won't race until McLaren can prove that the issue that caused the crash won't ever happen again?

I wonder how Button and Magnussen feel about that???

Last edited:
Maybe Alonso realises the McLaren Honda is such a long shot in Melbourne that it's not worth the trip or risk?

BTW - conspiracy theorists will have a field day with this one....
Ron's insane press conference where he tried to claim Alonso didn't have concussion didn't help.

Whispers, whispers mind, of teams thinking boycotting the Australian GP because of how Alonso's crash happened. Apparently, and I stress that, it's still not proven Alonso didn't receive an electric shock fro the electric systems in the car and lose consciousness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whispers, whispers mind, of teams thinking boycotting the Australian GP because of how Alonso's crash happened. Apparently, and I stress that, it's still not proven Alonso didn't receive an electric shock fro the electric systems in the car and lose consciousness.
They really should just come out & give the true story behind the crash. That way whispers & rumours don't happen. It clearly wasn't a high speed crash caused by gusty winds when the person behind Alonso, Vettel, has already stated that he'd slowed down and that it wasn't windy.

It certainly is getting a bit strange - interesting that Alonso himself hasn't actually said anything. Is he unwilling to ruffle the team's (or FIA's) feathers?

It seems to me that Alonso's accident is similar to these two NASCAR crashes, where the car hits almost exactly side on with the wall. Not sure of Kyle Petty's injuries but Dale Earnhardt Jr had a concussion after what on surface looks like a fairly tame incident.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back