Autopsy 3-0-75: 5 years on.

Remove this Banner Ad

So tomorrow (Wednesday 4th March 2015) marks the 5 year anniversary of when the ambitious 3-0-75 plan was first announced and revealed to the public. Most of us diehards would know what the plan involved but essentially it was playing finals 3 times, having 0 debt and achieving a membership total of 75k.

At the time, it's fair to say the plan raised a few eyebrows. We were coming off a miserable 2009 season where the club finished second last and was generally considered a rabble by many. Here's a thread from 2010 where some opposition fans thought it would be another failed 5 year plan or that the club should consider more 'modest' targets (i.e 50k members for example). Certainly makes for some interesting reading in hindsight!
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/richmond-3-0-75.678737/

Now if we look at it purely in isolation, you could say the club has failed to achieve what it set out to do (at least in the sense of whether those lofty goals were achieved or not). The club has only played 2 finals in that time and despite a recent surge in membership numbers currently has a record of 66,122 (2014) -though at the present rate, you'd expect 2015 to easily surpass the 2014 number (only a smidge over 2,500 to go - sign up if you haven't already!).

The only target the club achieved was the zero debt.

The more cynical will probably point out that the club set measurable goals and failed to meet 2 of them - therefore the overall strategy 'should' be considered a failure. For me personally, when I look back on the Richmond of 2010 and compare it to now, I can't help but consider the whole thing to be a MASSIVE success.

The important thing to remember that while the 3-0-75 had tangible goals and targets, it was also about positioning the club so that it would be in a strong position to become not just one of the biggest clubs in Victoria but to being the BIGGEST in Victoria; as well as positioning the whole organisation towards having a crack at future premierships.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tigers-plan-to-be-top-victorian-club-20100303-pizq.html

I personally think Gale, Hardwick, Peggy, everyone at the club and even those who've since left (March, Cameron) should be applauded for their efforts in helping drive this club forward. They aimed high and demanded high results of each other at every level at the club and the progress (IMO) has been amazing. Even with the introduction of 2 new expansion sides, the club has gone from strength to strength over the last few years. They're slowly but surely rebuilding the pride, reputation and brand of the club and taking it levels not seen since the powerhouse days.

I don't think anyone at the club would tell you the job's done either - there's still a long way to go. In my lifetime, I don't think I've ever seen the club in a better state or with a better platform to stake a legitimate claim as the biggest and best in the league.

The saying 'shoot for the stars and even if you fall short, you'll land on the moon' would ring true IMO.

As a quick comparison to show how the club has evolved and progressed under the 3-0-75 strategy:
2010:
  • 37,000 members (2009 tally, a then record for the club).
  • Approx 4.5m debt.
  • No VFL side (Coburg affiliation).
  • Last finals appearance in 2001.
  • Net asset position: $13,295,264.
  • Net profit: $2,846,065.
  • Footy department spend: $14.2m (2010).
2015:
  • 66,122 members (2014 and current record).
  • 0 debt (achieved through $6m target of the Fighting Tiger Fund).
  • Stand-alone VFL side.
  • $20m ME Bank redevelopment at Punt Road.
  • Korin Gamaji Institute (launched officially 2012).
  • Consecutive finals series appearances for the first time since 1975.
  • Net asset position (as of 2014 report): $23,710,00.
  • Net profit for 2014: $1,329,530.
  • Footy department spend: $21m (approx).
  • Record membership and sponsorship revenue.

What are other people's thoughts and reflections on the success/failure of the 3-0-75 strategy?

Have posted many times how proud I am of everyone involved with RFC for turning the club around, thank you NUFC for making it clear with facts about how far the club has come even if we did fall short of the goals we set. I was born in 1978 and this is the best situation i can remember at RFC in living memory. I get jealous of you old bastards on here actually getting to live the powerhouse days, cant wait until us from the younger brigade get our turn to scream out were from tigerland after a flag with tears in our eyes :)

I think of some goals I have set myself over many years and very few achieved. Setting goals is not just about setting something readily achieved but a target to aim for. Yes we could have aimed for 50k of members, 1 million of debt and play finals at least once in the five years which even back in 2009 was tough but achievable.

I applaud all those that have contributed from us souls in here parting with hard earned when we were a laughing stock to those that had such vision and determination to execute a plan to get there. Yes we fell short but we in no way failed.

Let us all hold our heads high and continue down the road to the glory we rightfully deserve!

we had to rebuild in the time of the 2 new Clubs taking all the top Draft picks & this has no doubt delayed our rise, but we are getting there. the biggest thing for me is the no debt. had we not lost so many close games in '12 we'd have perhaps made finals so would have achieved the 3rd Finals series in that time & the way it's going we'll have more than our Membership from last year (our record) total by Rd 1. happy days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The average amount of members across all clubs has increased, however there are many Victorian clubs that have had very minimal increases to their memberships.

Carlton, Western Bulldogs, St. Kilda, Melbourne, North Melbourne, and even Geelong are mostly sub 40k, and many of them were close to that back in 2010.

Whereas Richmond, as shown in the OP, we had similar numbers as those clubs previously, but these days we are hanging with the heavy hitters in Collingwood and Hawthorn.

Collingwood and Hawthorn, mind you, have won 3 of the 5 premierships contested in the 10's so far, and combined have featured in every grand final of this decade so far (Hawthorn in 2012, 2013, and 2014, Collingwood in 2010 and 2011).

Despite this, they're only JUST above us (we may have even overtaken the Hawks in pure membership numbers very recently).

Win 1 premiership, or even make a preliminary/grand final, and we will actually be the biggest club in the league again. And being THE top Victorian club by 2020 was the ultimate vision of this plan.

We are well on our way folks.

Next 5 year target

5 (flags) - Nike, Puma or Adidas - 25 Brothels purchased

If we bought a knock shop Caro would lose her s**t more than if Jake King was having coffee with Toby Mitchell and James Hird at Danks clinic

Next 5 year target

5 (flags) - Nike, Puma or Adidas - 25 Brothels purchased

It often gets overlooked, but there was another part of 3-0-75. I can't remember all of it, but one target was to have won our 13th premiership by the end of 2019.

It often gets overlooked, but there was another part of 3-0-75. I can't remember all of it, but one target was to have won our 13th premiership by the end of 2019.
Well that mean we are going to win 3 of the next 5 flags doesn't it :oops:

I remember hearing Caro say at the start of the 2014 season on 3aw that we were about to release a new 5 year vision but then we went 3-10 and it was never released

Well that mean we are going to win 3 of the next 5 flags doesn't it :oops:

I remember hearing Caro say at the start of the 2014 season on 3aw that we were about to release a new 5 year vision but then we went 3-10 and it was never released
Groupie if we win 3 of the next 5 flags ill let you bang my missus with 10 other blokes and post it online :D

Groupie if we win 3 of the next 5 flags ill let you bang my missus with 10 other blokes and post it online :D
I'm in

High-Five-Fist-Bump-GIF.gif

It was interesting to read back on the forum post from 5 years ago. I only read the first 20 posts or so but the support actually came from Carlton and Bombers supporters and the baggings came from Hawks, Pies and PA ferrels...

I can understand Pies and PA but I would have thought more positive comments would come from the Hawks, especially as they were embarking upon a similar strategy. Then again this from a club that signs up pets and re-allocates games to widen their market. Pretty desperate?

The reality is that if we set minimal or standard goals then the pot wouldn't have been stirred. All clubs will now be looking at what the Tiges have done to engage their fans and marvel at the relentless efforts that made it happen. Now we just need to keep riding the momentum and drive our way to top 4, top 2, TOP!!! In two years I wonder how much of a pipe dream a flag will be...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back