PowerDrafter

Team Captain
Sep 23, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Chicago Blackhawks
Pre season best 22s.PNG Pre season best 22s.1.PNG

Sorry for the annoying layout guys it was just easier this way. But here is my list of every teams pre season best 22's. I did this a few weeks ago so sorry the likes of Libertore (WB) and McKenzie (WCE) are still there.

All the yellow ones are guys I think are self picking within the best 22 at each club and those not yellowed are guys I feel will be in the best 22 but could fall out for another guy.

Please leave your thoughts I'm really keen to see what you all think of these teams

Not a bad effort on Hawthorn...however Ben Stratton and Liam Shiels are definate best 22 - picked every week. They would come in at the expense of O'Rourke and Hartung.

Hale is slightly favoured over Ceglar still (but that could change) and Duryea played 23 games last year so would, at the very least, be picked against smaller forward lines.

Obviously hard to fit them all in.

Pretty good effort. Only things I'd say about the Dogs' side (Libba aside, of course):
  • That's one hell of a tall back line. I'm not sure we'll play all of Morris, Talia and Hamling in the same side. That's not to say we won't, just seems unlikely to me.
  • McLean looks a good player but he's probably not best 22 yet. He likely debuts later in the year.
  • Campbell is pretty average when played forward and with Boyd there his days being played as a forward/second ruck are likely over. If he gets a game it's as first ruck. Redpath will be given first chance at that second key forward role.
  • Hrovat's pretty important to us and I'm not sure he'd be the substitute.
  • Koby Stevens should be in there.
Nice work though! Always good to see an outsider's perspective on our best 22.

Not a bad effort on Hawthorn...however Ben Stratton and Liam Shiels are definate best 22 - picked every week. They would come in at the expense of O'Rourke and Hartung.

Hale is slightly favoured over Ceglar still (but that could change) and Duryea played 23 games last year so would, at the very least, be picked against smaller forward lines.

Obviously hard to fit them all in.

Agreed, Liam Shiels is one of my favourite players at Hawthorn, BUT I've seen multiple accounts and even Clarkson himself say that O'Rourke was recruited to come in and play consistent senior football, preferably I'd like Shiels but of what I've read and the way Hawthorn stuctured up (even though a preseason game) Shiel looks like the unlucky guy to miss out

On the same topic Clarkson has also said he expects Hartung to progress like Isaac Smith and Brad Hill into the senior team and get some if not regular football, his elite running puts him SLIGHTLY, not by much infront of Duryea

Woodward and Anderson are probably fighting for that other spot

Hale is once again one of my favourites but now Ceglar has learnt how to play forward, with his additional height and ruck ability he'd probably get heads up over Hale but thats a 50/50 ball in my eyes

Stratton is abit of a weird guy, he's at 190 so he's still classed as a medium tall. Personally I don't think Lake will play every game, whether Hawthorn can cover Lake's height loss with Stratton is unknown but you'd think that he would be the next guy in if Lake doesn't play (which is highly unlikely that he does)

Pretty good effort. Only things I'd say about the Dogs' side (Libba aside, of course):
  • That's one hell of a tall back line. I'm not sure we'll play all of Morris, Talia and Hamling in the same side. That's not to say we won't, just seems unlikely to me.
  • McLean looks a good player but he's probably not best 22 yet. He likely debuts later in the year.
  • Campbell is pretty average when played forward and with Boyd there his days being played as a forward/second ruck are likely over. If he gets a game it's as first ruck. Redpath will be given first chance at that second key forward role.
  • Hrovat's pretty important to us and I'm not sure he'd be the substitute.
  • Koby Stevens should be in there.
Nice work though! Always good to see an outsider's perspective on our best 22.

Most teams play a 3 tall forwardline so the doggies would play a 3 tall backline to try and compete. Morris has always played above his height so if Hamling was to come in it would allow Morris to take a small/medium and really dominate that 3rd man across.

I am a huge fan of Toby McLean, doggies are my second team and when I saw his name called out I got really excited, Dalhaus looks like moving into the midfield to cover the loss of the one who must not be named (more so now Libba has gone down too) this allows the Dogs to blood a bunch of these small types up forward, McLean the most likely to have an instant impact kicking goals

Campbell is really inconsistent, agreed, nor does he have imense tallent, BUT I have 1 strong point with Campbell, Boyd gets the first defender, if Campbell plays he gets the second defender allowing Stringer and Crameri to go nuts and torment defences, without Campbell one of those two gets the second tall and the dogs forward line loses massive upside. After the weekend Redpath probably gets the nod over him but I've seen a few glimpses of Campbell to show he can at least be a chop out for Minson and relief for Boyd/Stringer/Crameri

Where do you see Hrovat playing?

Stevens gets Libbas spot I'd think?

Most teams play a 3 tall forwardline so the doggies would play a 3 tall backline to try and compete. Morris has always played above his height so if Hamling was to come in it would allow Morris to take a small/medium and really dominate that 3rd man across.

I am a huge fan of Toby McLean, doggies are my second team and when I saw his name called out I got really excited, Dalhaus looks like moving into the midfield to cover the loss of the one who must not be named (more so now Libba has gone down too) this allows the Dogs to blood a bunch of these small types up forward, McLean the most likely to have an instant impact kicking goals

Campbell is really inconsistent, agreed, nor does he have imense tallent, BUT I have 1 strong point with Campbell, Boyd gets the first defender, if Campbell plays he gets the second defender allowing Stringer and Crameri to go nuts and torment defences, without Campbell one of those two gets the second tall and the dogs forward line loses massive upside. After the weekend Redpath probably gets the nod over him but I've seen a few glimpses of Campbell to show he can at least be a chop out for Minson and relief for Boyd/Stringer/Crameri

Where do you see Hrovat playing?

Stevens gets Libbas spot I'd think?
You could be right, it just looks exceptionally tall. Five players over 187cm and not a lot of run. Also a lot of average ball users. With Beveridge's insistence that we play faster, more accurate football it just doesn't seem likely.

I like Toby too but from watching him at training he's just not really ready. He's not far off but I don't see the instant impact that you do. We have a lot of players competing for those small/medium forward roles and I'd say that, right now, all of Picken, Dahlhaus, Dickson, Honeychurch and Daniel are ahead of him, as well as the midfielders that likely swing through there (eg. Jong, Hrovat, Honeychurch, Stevens). Will be given a chance this year though and looks a player. Just don't think he's quite ready yet.

Redpath's just much more mobile and a much more natural forward. As much as I'd love to play a second ruckman Boyd/Campbell is just too immobile a combination in my opinion. Boyd and Redpath compliment each other pretty well in my opinion. That said, though, Big Red is still seriously unproven at AFL level and there's no guarantee he makes it - Campbell could well find himself in eventually but Redpath will definitely get first chance.

Hrovat likely splits his time between the midfield and the half-forward line. He's one of our best at setting up goals so there's very little doubt that he plays every game when fit. Things just happen around him.

He should be in for Libba but they won't play similar roles; Stevens seems to be much more outside-oriented under Beveridge and will also play some minutes up forward. Will play, though. Wallis is likely the 'role replacement' although Smith will also cover a part of that when he returns. Also just noticed you've left Picken out - he'll play some minutes through the middle as well.

My personal changes would be something like:
OUT: McLean, Hamling, Campbell, Libba, Hunter
IN: Picken, Darley, Redpath, Wallis, Stevens
As well as having Jong in the green vest rather than Hrovat.

That said - our best 22 is hardly locked down. Lots of players competing for the same positions - you could end up being closer than me. Just my two cents.

Not a bad effort on Essendon it's the hardest best 22 we've had to pick for quite a while.

Players who aren't a lock in the best 22 -

Howlett - I don't consider him a lock in the best 22 as he's not good enough as a forward and doesn't fit in the midfield anymore, unless he can average 1 goal a game with good defensive pressure as a forward with bursts in the middle.

Giles - Personally don't see him and Bellchambers playing together in the same side unless either of Daniher or Carlisle is injured as we would be way too slow with 3 of them in the forward line.

Dempsey - He's in the best 22 at this stage but don't think he's a lock with our huge amount of back flankers such as Gleeson, Ashby, Dalgeish, Edwards and Gwilt.

Players you may have forgotten -

Winderlich - Can straighten up our forward line or be handy at back best 22 when fit.

Fletcher - Yes he's old but he really only played one bad game last year and still plays a solid role for us in defence as that 3rd tall.

Hocking - Had a pretty good year as tagger I consider a lock until someone else can prove themselves.

Also I'm curious as to why you chose Laverde and Dalgeish in our best 22 there's more senior players who are better at this stage.

Personally I'd have.
OUT - Dalgiesh, Laverde, Giles
IN - Fletcher, Winderlich, Hocking

Then there's players such as, Ambrose, Jmerret, Gleeson, Melksham and Giles who could push for the best 22.

this is wat i think of Hawthorns:

• No Stratton. He is vital to hawthorns defensive balance. I'm picking him for Hawthorns B&F
  • No Shiels. he is best 22.
Ins and Outs:
Ins: Stratton, Shiels
Outs: Hartung, O'Rourke

My best 22.

B: Stratton, Lake, Gibson
HB: Birchall, Frawley, Suckling
C: Smith, Mitchell, Hill
HF: Burgoyne , Gunston, Poupolo
F: Bruest, Roughead, Rioli
Foll: McEvoy, Hodge, Lewis
Int: Shiels , Ceglar, Langford