Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
VFL
Channel 7 to broadcast VFL

A new era in Peter Jackson VFL television broadcasting will begin in 2015 with Seven Melbourne securing the exclusive free-to-air rights to the competition for the next two seasons.

Under the new agreement with AFL Victoria, Seven will show the VFL ‘Match of the Round’ live on Channel 7 in Melbourne every weekend throughout the regular season, as well as the VFL Legendairy Finals Series and Grand Final.

The move to Channel 7 will be the first change in television broadcaster for the competition since 1987, when the ABC first covered the then VFA finals, taking over the rights from ATV 10.

AFL Victoria General Manager Steven Reaper said it is positive news for the VFL competition that it will now receive free-to-air television coverage on a commercial network.

“The new agreement with Seven Melbourne will provide great exposure for our competition, clubs and related partners.

“A new television audience will now experience VFL football on a weekly basis, which will showcase a great standard of football and some of the best young talent on both VFL and AFL lists,” Reaper said.

“With a peak viewership of 301,000 for the 2014 Grand Final between Footscray and Box Hill Hawks, we look forward to working with Seven to further growing our already dedicated VFL audience next year.

“AFL Victoria would like to thank Lewis Martin and his team at Seven, along with Simon Lethlean and the broadcasting group at the AFL who have helped manage the development of this partnership.”

Managing Director of Seven Melbourne Lewis Martin said the new agreement adds to Seven’s long and proud association with broadcasting football.

“We’re thrilled to be broadcasting more live football to Victorians and adding to our blue-chip AFL and sports portfolio, while complementing our local grassroots football initiatives.

“And we’ll do it with the passion, insight and quality that have been the Seven tradition.”

The 2015 Peter Jackson VFL season will begin mid-April and run over 20 rounds, with the fixture set to be released by mid-December.

Last Modified on 18/11/2014 18:59
Comments

Will miss voices such as Peter Donegan and Phil Cleary. Donegan does some work for 7 (Aus Open and Kooyong Classic) so he might be involved in this as well?

Will miss voices such as Peter Donegan and Phil Cleary. Donegan does some work for 7 (Aus Open and Kooyong Classic) so he might be involved in this as well?

Would also have liked to have seen them take some or all of the commentary team from the ABC as I thought they were pretty good most of the time. Will wait and see about how these commentators go but special comments by Campbell Brown doesn't fill me with enthusiasm.

Last edited:
Would also have liked to have seen them take some or all of the commentary team from the ABC as I thought they were pretty good most of the time. Will wait and see about how these commentators go but special comments by Campbell Brown doesn't fill me with enthusiasm.
Channel 7 use good commentary as a reason not to hire people.

Early matches (working on the 12pm assumption):

Round 1: Footscray v Box Hill (Whitten Oval April 18) - grand final rematch and flag unfurling
Round 2: Werribee v North Ballarat (Avalon Airport Oval April 25) - great for North fans
Round 3: Coburg v Frankston (Coburg City Oval May 2) - 2 standalone teams
Round 4: Casey v Sandringham (Casey Fields May 9) - best facilities in the VFL so fair enough
Round 5: Essendon v Box Hill (Windy Hill May 16) - first time 7 have been there since 1991
Round 6: Geelong v Port Melbourne (Kardinia Park May 23) - normally a great match anyway
Round 7: Geelong v Williamstown (Kardinia Park May 30) - should be a good match

2 Geelong home games, 2 Box Hill away games, 2 former AFL venues and 12 teams shown in the first 7 weeks. Not bad so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure I read that Essendon v Collingwood was being televised.

You did.

The Peter Jackson VFL season starts on Friday April 17 under lights at Avalon Airport Oval with the clash between Werribee and Geelong.

All games live on Channel 7

Round 1: Saturday April 18, 12pm – Footscray vs Box Hill Hawks

Round 2: Sunday April 26, 11:30am – Essendon vs Collingwood

Round 3: Saturday May 2, 12pm – Coburg vs Frankston

Round 4: Saturday May 9, 12pm – Casey Scorpions vs Sandringham

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc...ID=60264&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=33311230

Forgot about it until now. Just changed over. The picture quality is almost worse than ABC! Who is commentating?

Forgot about it until now. Just changed over. The picture quality is almost worse than ABC! Who is commentating?

Nigel Carmody, someone Bennett and special comments Campbell Brown. Brad Sewell down on the boundary. Apparently they are using the ABCs outside broadcast facilities/equipment and personnel.

Ash Hansen was speaking to the players at the huddle and the commentary is talking over it saying' I bet Ash Hansen is saying..' Why not just shut up and listen to him or can't they for some reason? It was the best part of the ABC coverage

tmp_15466_20150418_132353_1441207999.jpg

Ash Hansen was speaking to the players at the huddle and the commentary is talking over it saying' I bet Ash Hansen is saying..' Why not just shut up and listen to him or can't they for some reason? It was the best part of the ABC coverage

Might've been because Hansen was dropping a few F-bombs.

Couldn't understand why Channel 10 didn't put in a bid to televise the VFL/SANFL/WAFL on Ten/ONE. Having it on 10/ONE would've been ideal for the network as a platform to return to televise AFL football later on. The problem of having it on 7 is the fact they won't be showing the replays of these games midweek so we could have a look at the emerging talent in SA and WA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Couldn't understand why Channel 10 didn't put in a bid to televise the VFL/SANFL/WAFL on Ten/ONE. Having it on 10/ONE would've been ideal for the network as a platform to return to televise AFL football later on. The problem of having it on 7 is the fact they won't be showing the replays of these games midweek so we could have a look at the emerging talent in SA and WA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I believe 10 have blown their entire sports budget on televising the rediculous V8 Stupid-Cars...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back