Mega Thread Trade and List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't mind going after Foster, Wright, Hayes and WHE in the next two seasons.

CAnt see that happening, could have had Wright this year but traded draft choice to GWS for Boyd and also could have got Foster in the Rookie draft but again chose not to

If we somehow add WHE and a Carlisle type to this core of players with (fingers crossed) a fully fit Libba and Clay round 1 next season + our huge group of 2nd - 4th years guys making another jump, wow. We could easily be pushing top 8 next season with a bit of luck.
No chance

Profit isn't going to help us make finals next year and I think there is no chance at all we can make it
That place seemed to get a new lease of life when Primus was pushed. Think club culture has a lot to do with the amount of success a side has. Of course, good recruiting and some players finding form doesn't go astray...remembering Gray was virtually a nobody 2 years ago.

Their back half has also matured into a pretty good unit and they have one of the better swing men in the game in the Hoff.

I see some similarities in our club. New administration, coaching staff and some kids making a real name for themselves.

Do I think we're pushing the 8 this year? No.

Do I think another 20 odd games into young kids, another preseason and a coach that knows success will push us next year? Sh!t yeah...and it'll be sustainable because our players will mature together in the same side.

That place seemed to get a new lease of life when Primus was pushed. Think club culture has a lot to do with the amount of success a side has. Of course, good recruiting and some players finding form doesn't go astray...remembering Gray was virtually a nobody 2 years ago.

Their back half has also matured into a pretty good unit and they have one of the better swing men in the game in the Hoff.
So you can see us playing finals next year ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will finish bottom 4 this year , to finish top 8 next year is a huge rise I just can't see it :(
Still a long way away, enjoy the ride this year and see which kids stand up! When it does happen it usually happens quickly, in 2005 we missed the finals by only a crazy umpiring decision after finishing 14th (of 16) in 2004, we went from 15th in 1996 to 3rd in 1997. Not saying we will definitely make finals next year, but it's a possibility! Meanwhile let's enjoy Hrovat and co announcing themselves as quality footballers this year! :)

We will finish bottom 4 this year , to finish top 8 next year is a huge rise I just can't see it :(
Have faith mate. We have some really good building blocks now. Both at the top and on the ground.

Even Uncle Doug Has bought in saying that it's been some time since we had some Rolls Royces on the ground. Last time was when Grant entered the club when he was 16. Now we have a couple...

No point stressing over floggings when we've lost two of our top three B&F placers, and the other is going to be scrutinised like never before.

A few kids are going to emerge as long term players. Kids that the club took a punt on when others wouldn't, that we've persevered with. That's exciting in itself.

Worry about results when we've got another year of development into rigs like Bonts, Stringer & Boyd, & when we've got Libba & Cassius firing on all cylinders. If we don't have another campaigner of an offseason, we'll do well in 2016.

No point stressing over floggings when we've lost two of our top three B&F placers, and the other is going to be scrutinised like never before.

A few kids are going to emerge as long term players. Kids that the club took a punt on when others wouldn't, that we've persevered with. That's exciting in itself.

Worry about results when we've got another year of development into rigs like Bonts, Stringer & Boyd, & when we've got Libba & Cassius firing on all cylinders. If we don't have another campaigner of an offseason, we'll do well in 2016.
I agree that watching the kids this year will be exciting , but next year guys like Murphy minson Morris and boyd will all be on there last legs and then we have a massive hole in our list of players under 28 and over 23 we will be playing an under 23 side practically and I honestly think we are minimum 2-3 years away from playing finals and I'm not trying to be negative just hoping someone can give me something that can push me into believing it can happen

I agree that watching the kids this year will be exciting , but next year guys like Murphy minson Morris and boyd will all be on there last legs and then we have a massive hole in our list of players under 28 and over 23 we will be playing an under 23 side practically and I honestly think we are minimum 2-3 years away from playing finals and I'm not trying to be negative just hoping someone can give me something that can push me into believing it can happen
Which is why I can see us being very pro active in the market this year, and even targeting a free agent. Could see us bringing in a couple of guys in that 24-29 age bracket just to help propel us a bit faster.

Which is why I can see us being very pro active in the market this year, and even targeting a free agent. Could see us bringing in a couple of guys in that 24-29 age bracket just to help propel us a bit faster.
Any suggestions as to who ?

Any suggestions as to who ?

We should be chasing guys like Suckling. They're not going to break the bank but they're exposed, talented players that would provide stuff that we lack. I'd also chase Rance if Roughead hasn't made the next step up or has injured himself again.

Yep, if we can keep our list together and healthy

I agree there is cause for optimism, depending on our performances this year. And not necessarily team performances - which might suffer due to age profile, inexperience and injuries.

But for example, if Redpath and Talia had seasons like Bontempelli and Macrae did last year - we'd be in a position where we potentially had 2 good KPP's at each end, plus a midfield to be strengthened by the return of Liberatore and Smith. Add in the fact the vast majority of our list would be approaching the 50 - 75 games mark, where it's widely believed that players start to deliver consistently - and things would be looking much, much better.

If you were then to strategically target footspeed and skills (for example) - we'd have a young, exciting midfield, KPP's at each end and the sky would be the limit. We might not make the 8 in 2016, but we'd probably be pushing very close to it...

Of course, it could all go the other way very easily as well.

CAnt see that happening, could have had Wright this year but traded draft choice to GWS for Boyd and also could have got Foster in the Rookie draft but again chose not to

Think there's a lot of merit going after Wright. We basically insinuated to him we were likely to draft him if he was still on the board (to my understanding) before the Griffen-Boyd boil over. His interviews (at his home) apparently went well from both sides. GCS have 3-4 talls ahead of him where we have Minno (5 years left?), Campbell (speculative still), Redpath and Cordy (who the hell knows at this point). I think we might be a very attractive proposition to 2 Meter Peter if he does want to come home in a couple of years particularly given the talent we have coming through just ahead of him. I would hope Jmc has his agents number on his speed dial.

We should be chasing guys like Suckling. They're not going to break the bank but they're exposed, talented players that would provide stuff that we lack. I'd also chase Rance if Roughead hasn't made the next step up or has injured himself again.
Suckling would be ok to look at , rance had a great season last year but I'm not the biggest fan , I think he is a flog and he is a terrible kick and I think he has only had one good season plus his price tag would be way to high

Suckling would be ok to look at , rance had a great season last year but I'm not the biggest fan , I think he is a flog and he is a terrible kick and I think he has only had one good season plus his price tag would be way to high

Mate I like your plain spokeness but your statement on Rance is just plain wrong. In addition to being an AA KPD last year (2014) below is RFC's summary for 2013

"Built form after a slow start in 2013 and produced the best of his six seasons, playing every game and pushing for All-Australian selection. Ranked ninth in the AFL for overall marks, he was
No. 3 at Richmond for contested grabs and top 10 for kicks and handballs.
Playing on and often beating the League’s best tall forwards, Rance also offered good rebound from the back half.
Courageous and vital to the Tigers’ climb up the ladder."

Rance's kicking has improved and (unless you know him personally) I doubt he is 'flog'. And we all know KPs take time and Rance is now in his prime having put in two stellar seasons in a row.

Would be worth every bit of $700k in my view.

Don't think we need Suckling, think Biggs, Darley, Prudden and at least one of the pygmies we drafted this year will come through for us in the Suckling role.

Do think we need a KPD like Rance, as have massive doubts that any of Roberts (too slow), Talia (no good one on one), Cordy (genetic shoulders) and Hamling (too slight) will come good as top line AA KPDs (like Rance). And of course, fact is we don't like drafting quality talls with our high picks (and when we do we aren't that good at it...Williams, Grant, etc)....which leaves us little option but to trade or FA them.

Edit* And yeah I would prefer Carlisle to Rance but Carlisle is contracted this next year and seems far less obtainable. Rumour is Rance wants to stay in Melbourne as his family is here. What better place to go to than an up and coming Dogs team, which was also his father's team...?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back