Travel EUROPE: Travel Tips & Tricks

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
Have 4 weeks over September & october. Can't wait to DO europe, never been before.
Can't wait to see heaps of brilliant tourist attractions, stay in tourist areas and eat some gorgeous food, mainly because I'm not a douchebag pretentious w***er who thinks I'm some sort of awesome traveller who doesn't follow the trail.
If anyone has any advice on Austria is love some tips, I'm a sucker for camping & scenery.

Mar 6, 2007
Florence
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The Exers
Have 4 weeks over September & october. Can't wait to DO europe, never been before.
Can't wait to see heaps of brilliant tourist attractions, stay in tourist areas and eat some gorgeous food, mainly because I'm not a douchebag pretentious ****** who thinks I'm some sort of awesome traveller who doesn't follow the trail.
If anyone has any advice on Austria is love some tips, I'm a sucker for camping & scenery.
Wow, way to enter the thread.

Fair enough, but you could be insulting the people you seek info of. Anyway, I'm sure they'll get over it.

I stayed at the wombat hostel in Vienna, it was very good.
Most of the Vienna hostels are large scale works (At a decent cost) which makes a boring city even worse

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
Budapest and Prague both great cities. Both have good sights to visit, very picturesque cities, history abound and cheaper than western Europe. But if you enjoy going out and having a good time I definitely recommend Budapest.

cattas09

Senior List
Sep 27, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Hey guys,

Going to Europe with a mate of mine for 6 weeks in late June. Trying not to get too excited so it comes around quicker!

Landing in London then going across to Amsterdam Berlin Budapest Croatia Barcelona and then back to Santorini and Ios too meet up with some different mates.

Any tips regarding cool things to do/night life in any of the above would be awesome. Also what are the best options in relation to money cards and sim cards etc.

All info really appreciated! Would love to hear the highlights of your own trips

Cheers

didnt bother with a sim card at all when i was over there. used the wifi at our hostels/hotels to check in with people or look things up & that was it. too busy doing our own thing to worry about txting/calling people all the time tbh
This. I exclusively used wifi. It's everywhere.

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Landing in London then going across to Amsterdam Berlin Budapest Croatia Barcelona and then back to Santorini and Ios too meet up with some different mates.
Focusing on Berlin because it's the best:

Where to stay:
  • Kreuzberg / Neukoelln / "Kreuzkoelln" - In the south east of the city, so a bit of a bummer if you're flying into Tegel, but eh. A bit of an Australian American / Canadian ghetto, but it's nice and central to a lot of things you'd want to do.
  • Friedrichshain: The next area to the north-west of Kreuzberg, good nightlife, decent food options, again a good place with public transport.
What to do:
The obvious attractions aside, I like:
  • Strandbad Gruenau - A lake beach in eastern Berlin. Doesn't get as busy as the lakes in the west and it's just as nice
  • Spreepark - An abandoned theme park in Planterwaeld in the east that you'll need to climb your way into, but it's a lot of fun walking the length of rollercoasters, checking out abandoned pirate ships and so forth. Security guards patrol and kick out anyone found there but they're easy to avoid if you're not being loud / stupid
  • Soviet Memorial in Treptower park - A massive memorial to the Soviets. Worth checking out. Plus points if you go on an overcast day for the intimidation factor of the statues.
  • Teufelsberg: Abandoned spy station in west Berlin that's worth trying to get into. Haven't been there for years, but apparently security has tightened up a bit
  • Mauerpark on Sundays. A massive fleamarket and open-amphitheater karaoke on Sundays. A few games of basketball going too if that's your thing.
  • Tempelhof: Abandoned airport in the South of the city. Hire some bikes and go for a spin around the runways. Grab some disposable grills and have a bbq there while you're at it.
Where to go out:
  • For the love of all that is holy, do NOT go to Matrix near Warschauerstr. Bad music, crammed in English backpackers. No. Bad.
  • Berghain - Definitely worth a visit but it depends on how long you have in Berlin. You can spend ages waiting in line only to be rejected by the doorman who wrote an autobiography, so that gives you an idea of his opinion of himself. Go to any one of the below:
  • Kater Blau - My favourite, used to be Kater Holzig, now Kater Blau. Good.
  • Tresor
  • Ritter Butzke
  • Club de Visionaere - Mostly for kick ons or warm ups.
  • Weekend
  • Schwarze Traube - A bar, not a full night out itself. No menu, and you're expected to know what you like to drink. You have a chat with the bar keeper and he makes a drink he thinks you'll like. An interesting experience if nothing else.
  • Cookie - A lot of people rate it, I could take it or leave it.
What to eat:

• Mustafa's Gemuese Kebab - Gets ragged on now for being a tourist trap, but *'em. Deep fried veggies, chicken doner in a durum or a kebab. I always get durum with everything. Worth your while. Be prepared to wait though, lines can get over an hour. Try rocking up for an early lunch, it's right near U-Mehringdamm
  • Huehnerhaus - Chicken near Goerlitzer park. You can work off the munchies from the awful weed you buy in Goerli (pronounced "girly if you need directions) Park
  • Burgeramt - In Friedrichshain. I vote best burgers in the city, my mate thinks Kreuzburger.
  • Streetfood Thursdays - At Markthalle Neun. A lot of different food vendors from all over the city come to here, sell food. I usually get Big Stuff BBQ and Two Fat Bears ice cream sandwiches for dessert.
  • Jimmy Woo - Dunno if it's your thing, but a nice Laoatian restaurant in Neukoelln
  • Currywurst - Just try it. I like the Wursterei at Zoologischer Garten for the cheese on the chips and the different sauces, however I appear to be alone at that one.
Bonus tip:

Croatia, visit Krke National Park for the waterfalls. They're amazing.

Mar 6, 2007
Florence
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The Exers
didnt bother with a sim card at all when i was over there. used the wifi at our hostels/hotels to check in with people or look things up & that was it. too busy doing our own thing to worry about txting/calling people all the time tbh
Yeah, but if you're trying to navigate somewhere or you want to use google translate, or make a booking it is very useful.

cAsEy_18

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Apr 13, 2007
Frankston
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Yankees, Chelseas, YCW.
Hey guys, doing 3 months in Europe from late May to late August (will have done USA before this leaving in about 2 weeks so getting pretty excited).
Most of Europe is fairly planned as in where we'll be, but pretty happy to hear any ideas for what to do in these places: I do enjoy history and landmarks, but being a 22yr guy, obviously keen on nightlife tips etc.. too.

- Venice x4 nights
- Rome x4 nights
- Tour of Amalfi Coast x3 nights
- 3week contiki, does x2 nights in each of: Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Munich, Venice, Rome, Florence, Lucerne, Paris
- Barcelona x4 nights
- Ibiza x2 nights
- Croatia Sail x7 nights
- We then land in London and have got 12 nights before we have to fly out. I'm keen on eventually heading over to Dublin for a part of that time, but if anyone has any ideas for England/Ireland, would love to hear them.
- Crete x5 nights
- Greek Islands x6 nights (2 each at Santorini, IOs, Mykanos,)
- Athens x2 nights

Ive then booked a flight from Athens to Budapest on the 8th of August, and I fly home on the 22nd of August from Zurich. I planned on leaving those 2 weeks unplanned/unbooked to go back to places I enjoyed, or unless there are any ideas on places I've missed?

*By the way I know I've probably overdone days in Venice, Rome and Crete, but the two Italy ones are catching up with friends and Crete I've got free accom. from a greek mate, so can't turn that down haha.

Back