Remove this Banner Ad

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone had the quarter by quarter scores for the VFL/AFL Night Series/Pre-season comps from 1957-2013?

I know this is a long shot, but even if someone had just a couple of years it would be a real help.

Cheers,

Oliver

There's a thread just down the page a bit from this one where the quarter by quarter scores for the games from 1977-2013 were posted (in tab-delimited text file form):- http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/vfl-night-series-scores-1977-1989.1081958/#post-36109786

The source of those scores was the Footy Works program. Some of the starting times shown were found to be incorrect, as was one of the venues. The AFL Historical Statistics website (which has/had just the final scores) also had serious discrepancies with starting times as well, which may have been the source of the problem:- http://wayback.archive.org/web/2013...dIndex=0&venue_idValue=All&AFLstatisticMenu=1

I'm pretty sure Footy Works has quarter by quarter scores for all pre-season/night games but I'm unable to check (and generate results) at the moment as I've recently installed the 2015 version of the program and it's currently largely disabled until I receive my registration key. If you've tried Kevin Taylor and haven't received anything from him (or anyone else) by the time I get Footy Works fully functional again, I'll certainly post what I have here.

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone had the quarter by quarter scores for the VFL/AFL Night Series/Pre-season comps from 1957-2013?

I know this is a long shot, but even if someone had just a couple of years it would be a real help.

Cheers,

Oliver
Here are the scores of all games (1956-2013) as they appear in the Footy Works program:-

Attachments

• AFL Night Series.TXT
    157.2 KB · Views: 14
Sorry for the late reply, and thanks for that.

Although I have just noticed that Supergoals are not displaying in this data, has anyone else noticed this and does anyone know where I can find it?

Cheers

Sorry for the late reply, and thanks for that.

Although I have just noticed that Supergoals are not displaying in this data, has anyone else noticed this and does anyone know where I can find it?

Cheers
I hadn't even noticed the Supergoals weren't shown in the .txt file I posted. The program I used to generate that result does show them elsewhere but it seems it can't include them in the .txt file it comes up with for some reason. The final points tally has clearly been adjusted to take into account 9-point goals, but gives no idea when they were scored so that obviously isn't very helpful. I've not spent a lot of time looking for cup/pre-season results in that program and I don't know of a way to get all the qtr. by qtr. results together with Supergoals shown as well, so sorry about that, but I do suspect it's just not possible.

Kevin Taylor's Footystats site looks like it has all the pre-season results from 2003 onwards (Supergoal era):-

http://footystats.freeservers.com/Archive/NAB13.html There's a link about half way down the page to the earlier years' results.

The scores are shown like this:- 1.4.1.7 – 43 - I've pretty much forgotten but there must have been, as well as 9 & 6 point goals and 1 point behinds, 3 points given for something else. Have fun with that!

In case you're using Firefox and having problems, this warning is on the home page of the site:-
WARNING: Best viewed in Windows Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. The Diary may not always be read by Firefox.

Last edited:
"Deliberately rushed behind by a defender in control of the ball is 3 points"

This was introduced in 2003, the same year the supergoal came in. In 2009 the 3 point penalty for a deliberately rushed behind was dropped and replaced by:- "A free kick will be awarded for any deliberately rushed behind. The benefit of the doubt will be given to a defender who is under direct pressure in a contest, or whose primary goal is to spoil or touch the ball before it goes through for a goal."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back