Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice ad in the Bully for the open day tomorrow. Anyone going?

B9rxwWOIEAEpz0c.jpg

Yep I'm going with my wife and little girl.

Write-up by Gaz himself:

In what could be called the run and gun show, Gold Coast SUNS fans can expect to see a more attacking brand of football from us in 2015.

Our new coach Rodney Eade is urging us to take more calculated risks on the footy field — to play instinctively ... and to take the game on and this means fans of the club are going to see some pretty free and exciting football this year.

This doesn’t mean that we are not going to be defensively strong ... only the good defensive sides have won premierships in recent years so the key word here is calculated risks.

Rocket’s other key message is to limit turnovers.

You look at a successful side like Hawthorn — they are the benchmark in controlling possession.

Simply put, they just don’t turn the ball over.

On the field you have to make it difficult for teams when they’ve got the ball but at the same time you have to make it hard for the opposition to get the ball.

We’ve been spending a lot of time looking at tape and picking Rocket’s mind on his new game plan.

But come Round 1 everyone will know the role they have to play in our new structures.

What I love about Rocket is his balance between challenging the younger guys and giving them a cuddle when they need it.

He has also been asking questions about our game style and while it’s only preseason, it is all coming together.

I can’t wait to see our guys hit the paddock for our pre-season opener in the NAB Cup against Geelong in Townsville on March 1.

I’m desperate to have a hit-out and play in the NAB.

My shoulder is about 90 per cent in regards to strength and range but I am super keen to get a game under my belt before Round 1 in early April.

I’ve had another hydro injection — a saline solution — to help with my range and while I’m marking overhead I’m yet to really test myself with contested marking.

But come Round 1 — I’ll be right to play.

I’ll be upfront — I miss playing finals footy but this side is good enough to play into September.

As a group we haven’t discussed finals — our focus has been on having a good preseason and the boys have returned in the best shape I’ve ever seen.

In particular Jarrod Harbrow has been training the house down.

Softly spoken Jarrod was initially voted into the leadership group by the boys but he sat the group down and explained that he wanted to concentrate on his football this year — and take his game to another level.

To do this he thought it was best for his football not to be part of the leadership group but I can tell you, every time Jarrod runs out he’ll be leading by example.

He is such an important player for us, he gives us that run out of the backline, he’s experienced and he has a great footy brain — so he will continue to lead without the title.

But speaking of the leadership group, former Swan Nick Malceski has been exceptional.

From day one, he has challenged the boys to be better — and that’s the sign of a good leader.

He comes from a very successful football culture at the Swans and his is a voice of experience.

He’s won premierships, he’s lost premierships so he knows what level we need to be at week-in and week-out.

Our list understands better now what is expected to play premiership football — and it really is about making premiership football a lifestyle.

I hate talking contracts but to those who keep asking ... I came up here to win a premiership and that’s what I intend to do.

There’s been speculation over the past few months but I’m contracted until the end of the year so there’s plenty of time to work through the next stage.

What is important is I love playing for the Suns and this is an extremely talented list.

We have the right people around the club and with hard work, this is going to be a very exciting year.

Karmichael Hunt charged with cocaine possession
The NRL is also investigating whether two Gold Coast Titans players were arrested in relation to the Hunt drug supply charges.
Titans chief executive Graham Annesley said he had no knowledge of the arrests but had been investigating their veracity today.
The Titans team is in Cairns preparing for a trial.
“I have had several phone calls this morning and we are investigating the reports,” Annesley said.
Queensland Reds fullback and vice-captain Hunt, 28, met detectives on Thursday night and was issued a notice to appear in court over four counts of supplying the drug.
Hunt’s charges follows that of former rugby league stars Jason Smith and Matt Seers who police and CCC allege were part of a multimillion-dollar cocaine cartel.
The CCC on Friday morning released a statement that said the charges stemmed from an investigation into a cocaine trafficking syndicate in southeast Queensland.
QUEENSLAND REDS ROCKED BY KARMICHAEL HUNT COCAINE CHARGE

Link
AS THEIR gruelling pre-season starts to draw to a close Gold Coast Suns ruckman Zac Smith and his teammates can’t wait to start their NAB Challenge campaign at Tony Ireland Stadium this Sunday.

The Suns began a brutal training regimen under new coach Rodney Eade in early November and will be looking to put those months of hard work on the training track to good use against the Geelong Cats in their trip to North Queensland.

Smith will be returning to Townsville for the first time since their inaugural match in the city in 2013 and the 25-year-old Biloela product said the entire squad was buzzing ahead of their first competitive fixture in months.

“We’re into the back end of our pre-season now and all of the boys are really keen to get out on the field and start playing,” he said.

“We had a three-day camp earlier in the year and the trip to Townsville is another opportunity for us to travel together and get to know each other better.

“I’m a central Queensland boy so Townsville reminds me of home a little bit and I’ll have some friends up there to watch the game.”

Finals football has eluded the Suns in their first four years as an AFL club, with last season’s 12th placing continuing a run of consistent improvement.

Smith is a foundation member of the expansion AFL side and the 205cm ruckman said the club were determined to shed their tag as new kids on the block and make a genuine push to play finals football this year.

“That notion that we are still a young club has been taken out of our mindset, we are a club that wants to push other teams and really contend for a spot in the finals,” he said.

“Everyone is really looking forward to the NAB challenge and for the season proper to start.

“We have around 10 new players at the club this season so it’s a special time for them and it will be a great moment for those guys to represent the club for the first time.”

Their trip to Townsville this weekend will open the Suns’ NAB Challenge campaign for 2105, ahead of games against the Greater Western Sydney Giants and the Brisbane Lions in coming weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

good article and video with Rocket

Brilliant video! He's so honest with his answers. So many coaches these days act like our pollies and avoid the question, answer questions with questions, or just flat out refuse to give a relevant response. Rocket, however, will answer the question as best he can.

GC Suns guernsey spotted @ 1.21.

No idea what is being said, but it's an interview on French TV with the Bordeaux Bombers, with the president wearing a Suns guernsey!

Gaz not playing this weekend..or even round 1...

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/al...ainst-gold-coast/story-fndv8d6r-1227265334726

The Suns do not know what their Round 1 side looks like with the return date for Ablett and O‘Meara still to be decided.

The Suns wanted Ablett to play a half against the Lions and believed he had completed all the necessary rehabilitation work on his injured shoulder and was ready to go.

But the captain yesterday expressed his doubts to the coaching staff about the shoulder and will not play.

Not yet ruled out of round 1. I still think he'll play that game. Sucks about NAB though.

I dont want to be negative, but with reconstructions one must be pragmatic. Ive had a knee reconstruction and it takes time to get over the mental scar of the injury. That he favours the injury isn't a concern, that's natural. The only concern is the reconstruction is a bit tight. Im not sure what happens there.

Everything I hear seems to be saying he isn't happy with the shoulders progress. He favours it, only reaches high to mark by instinct and people are clutching at that as a positive. If that's a positive, the negative must be a worry.

I'd prefer he was out for another half of a season, just to ensure he gets it right. He will know when he is ready, and shouldn't be told that he is ready, and to play. The last thing he needs is pressure to get back on the field. I was told by the surgeon I was ready to play again and I re injured the knee in the 1st tackle. I knew I wasn't ready, but I took his advice over my own instincts. Gaz has to listen to himself, listen to his own instincts, only he will know when he is ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back