Injury 2015 Injury Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

we need the OP to update the first post like SK_MD_#7 did last year, made it so much easier than looking through every post
Sorry, mate. OP updated, here it is:

Edit: As of March 4th:

Arryn Siposs - Shoulder (3-4 months)
Underwent shoulder surgery in December after re-injuring his shoulder. Is out of a sling, recovering well, and expected to return to full training in May. He was the runner on Saturday in the intra club.

Dylan Roberton - Hamstring (1 week)
Hamstring soreness but will be back for NAB 3.

Sam Gilbert - Foot (8-10 weeks)
His running progression has been extended over a longer period and the fifth metatarsal stress fracture is healing well. However, heel pain in the same foot will delay his start to the season. Will return to training in late March, ruling him out of round one.

Brodie Murdoch - Back (TBC)
Is progressing on a modified program after aggravating his back.

Jimmy Webster - Finger (6 weeks)
Damaged tendon in right ring finger which required surgical repair.

Tom Simpkin - Knee (1 week)
Rehab progressing well. On track to be available for selection for NAB 3

Shane Savage - Hamstring (2 weeks)
Mild strain. Will be available for round one.

Jack Billings - Hamstring (4 weeks)
Strained upper hamstring. Aiming for a round one return.

Major changes: Siposs went from 2 months to 3-4months, Gilbo from 4 weeks to 8-10 weeks, Simpkin with an extra week, Dunstan, Makworth and Hickey off the list, Roberton, Savage and Billings added.

Farren not listed but we know he's going in for surgery. More here: http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-03-04/injury-update-ray-goes-under-the-knife

Ray's injury is not great for him, will hurt the team short team... Help develop a younger player... Thus help the team long term.

Ray is a solid player... Definitely, but

Like Steven and Gilbert... He is a poor kick.

...but a superb overhead mark for his size. He's taken many marks like that over recent seasons around half back / wing. Agree sometimes when streaming away from half back /wing his delivery can be poor into the forward line BUT you need experienced mids to play with the kids and quite frankly we are weak in the midfield before he broke down...

Ray's injury is not great for him, will hurt the team short team... Help develop a younger player... Thus help the team long term.

Ray is a solid player... Definitely, but

Like Steven and Gilbert... He is a poor kick.

Overstated. I think all are prone to a stray kick but also do plenty of great work to counteract some of the skill errors. Farren was very good last year and I thought he actually ironed out a lot of his kicking issues.

I wonder how Siposs has gone from 2 months to 3-4 when by all accounts he is healing up and recovering pretty well.

I am a little disapointed the club didn't mention Ray during the press releases about Billings. Probably the first time this pre-season it has been less than forthcoming with information on players. I know that Ray is not expected to be part of the next assault but he is still a respected player.

On an aside if a player gets injured just before his contract lapses, does the club have a duty of care to return him to a certain level of health regardless of his contract status. For example, let's say Sipposs returns about round 18, plays 4 games than ruptures a knee or shoulder (God forbid this should ever happen). The club then delists him at the end of round 23. Does the club have an obligation to return that player to a level of healthiness by providing medical advice, surgical expertise (if required) and physiotherapy?

A ruptured tendon might not have really shown up as pain until the last day or two, hence why it was said he did it at training yesterday. Hamstring tears are pretty painful but tendon damage can be a bit different.

A ruptured tendon might not have really shown up as pain until the last day or two, hence why it was said he did it at training yesterday. Hamstring tears are pretty painful but tendon damage can be a bit different.

I think thats one of the little reported things that the clubs do for past players. Cousins son was at Hawthorn and Swans and had medical problems at both restricting keeping him on the field. Swans were incredibly supportive for several years after his early retirement. Problem was eventually fixed through assistance of Fremantle. They advised him of medical advances and a belief that a doctor associated with the club could fix his problem which he did.

But this may be a case by case thing and not systematic, but you would hope that the clubs do support past players, to get them back to a good medical condition immediately after their career.

Also is this the same Injury matty Loyd did? If so didn't he miss like the whole year + more

Possibly more serious, but maybe they're also being ultra careful?

He's blue-chip with a bit of history on this, prefer if we did take it cautiously.

We want at least 15 games into him this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What the hell, how is a strained hamstring ever 4 weeks, what the hell is wrong with JB
I would guess its really precautionary. Doing the same hamstring repeatably is bad news as you end up with Cyril Rioli hamstrings after a while. Much prefer him to miss 4 weeks and be 100% then play the last nab game and be unsure.

ST KILDA spent the early part of this week reviewing its travelling and recovery procedures after a sudden spate of hamstring injuries.

Although Ray's is considered a different kind of injury, given it affected the tendon near his knee and required surgery this week, the fates of the other two – plus a sore Dylan Roberton – sparked an instant review.

"We've had a look at our travel protocols and our recovery protocols and how much training they did last week," director of coaching and strategy Danny Sexton said on Thursday.

"We've had a really thorough review early this week.

"Farren Ray's was a unique one, he got pushed in the back as he was kicking the ball so his hamstring got extended.

"Shane Savage, unfortunately he gave his (hamstring) a little bit of a nick and Dylan Roberton's in the clear and his scan's come up as 'DOMS' (delayed onset muscle soreness).

"We're really happy the news on Dylan is positive but it's a shame when any player misses time through injury.

"Farren will be out for an extended period of time but we hope Billings and Savage are available for round one."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-05/hamstring-tweaks-spark-review

ST KILDA spent the early part of this week reviewing its travelling and recovery procedures after a sudden spate of hamstring injuries.

Although Ray's is considered a different kind of injury, given it affected the tendon near his knee and required surgery this week, the fates of the other two – plus a sore Dylan Roberton – sparked an instant review.

"We've had a look at our travel protocols and our recovery protocols and how much training they did last week," director of coaching and strategy Danny Sexton said on Thursday.

"We've had a really thorough review early this week.

"Farren Ray's was a unique one, he got pushed in the back as he was kicking the ball so his hamstring got extended.

"Shane Savage, unfortunately he gave his (hamstring) a little bit of a nick and Dylan Roberton's in the clear and his scan's come up as 'DOMS' (delayed onset muscle soreness).

"We're really happy the news on Dylan is positive but it's a shame when any player misses time through injury.

"Farren will be out for an extended period of time but we hope Billings and Savage are available for round one."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-05/hamstring-tweaks-spark-review
So Robbo is missing this week as a precaution then?

Ray
A very good overhead grab... And often the kick in target.... But is, and has always been a poor kick (by afl standards)
Overall, Ray is a very solid footballer, very consistent.

His foot skills keep him at B Grade

Acres is also a messy kick, as is Wright

Obviously Steven, Gilbert, Geary are average by foot

Roberton, Dempster, Delaney and a few others are just average

Big question is why did it take this long to launch the review, why didn't the realise the problem last year, and why isn't this just a thing that's brought up at the end of every year regardless of what injuries come up.

Liffffft

Big question is why did it take this long to launch the review, why didn't the realise the problem last year, and why isn't this just a thing that's brought up at the end of every year regardless of what injuries come up.

Liffffft

Cause we didn't have 4 hammies in one week last year and most of our injuries were impact or annoying feet that refused to heal properly even after scans cleared them?

Cause we didn't have 4 hammies in one week last year and most of our injuries were impact or annoying feet that refused to heal properly even after scans cleared them?
I would think tho a full review would be a yearly thing and not just ignored.. But that's just me

I would think tho a full review would be a yearly thing and not just ignored.. But that's just me
New fitness guy if I'm not mistaken. Probably not worth reviewing a program we won't be doing anymore.

New fitness guy if I'm not mistaken. Probably not worth reviewing a program we won't be doing anymore.
This new guy has started off with a bang :p

(Sorry if I'm coming off pi£€^ed of but my nba team got screwed today)

On a personal level I feel for Ray, but on a team level, I'm not overly fussed, bring in a young kid like Acres or Wright to take over his role.

Agree disappointing for Farren been great servant of club.

But the positive is opportunities will now be provided to Markworth , Newnes , Wright , Acres , Templeton ,Acres and Mckenzie all about development hence why you have a list of players to try at this stage.

Young team.

I would guess its really precautionary. Doing the same hamstring repeatably is bad news as you end up with Cyril Rioli hamstrings after a while. Much prefer him to miss 4 weeks and be 100% then play the last nab game and be unsure.
Maybe Jack Billings could benefit from some "high intensity hill running" too, like Cyril is doing.
Little steps.

What makes you think we didn't do a review at the end of last year? This recent one could be on top of the normal one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back