AFL floats possibility of small penalty if Dons guilty, but ASADA stays silent

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

how can players come clen when they didnt know?
Again... They may have said they didn't know.

They might have sweated a lot or fidgeted or looked up to the left and said "um....." after each question.

That's when ASADA spring. Like panthers. Or they do if they watch the same TV stations as me.

Again... They may have said they didn't know.

They might have sweated a lot or fidgeted or looked up to the left and said "um....." after each question.

That's when ASADA spring. Like panthers. Or they do if they watch the same TV stations as me.
i suppose asada need to find evidence the players lied. Cant say ive seen any myself though

I'm sure if you read the article again you will see that ASADA offered 6 months in early 2014 after the first notices were handed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did ASADA offer 6 months, or did ASADA state that if you demonstrate this, this and this, you might be eligible to have your sentence reduced to 6 months? There is a massive difference.

The code is crystal clear and 6 months is achievable if you meet the criteria. It is not a deal, it is a set of rules.

So Adelaide get punished for not having 2 first and second round draft picks whilst Essendon get away with a slap on the wrist.

get f**ked

And a slap on the wrist? Get off of it.

If you think being kicked out finals, a $2 million fine, two years of first round and second rounds picks gone, our coach being suspended for a year, along with other things as the AFL leaking the charge sheet and further damaging our brand is a slap on the wrist, then I don't know what to say.

You try supporting a team when you've endured this for over two years and have the AFL do that to your club and then try and say it was a slap on the wrist.

I also wonder if this is why McDermit said that ASADA wouldn't accept soft penalties and will appeal if they are handed down.

Further to this, paints a picture of what ASADA or WADA will do if a ban, akin to the one the AFL suggests, is handed down.

If you think being kicked out finals, a $2 million fine, two years of first round and second rounds picks gone, our coach being suspended for a year, along with other things as the AFL leaking the charge sheet and further damaging our brand is a slap on the wrist, then I don't know what to say.

You try supporting a team when you've endured this for over two years and have the AFL do that to your club and then try and say it was a slap on the wrist.

They didn't leak the charge sheet, the AFL published it. It is still there on their website.

i suppose asada need to find evidence the players lied. Cant say ive seen any myself though
That would be compelling if you are, in fact, one of their investigators. Youre not, are you?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As pathetic as WADA and ASADA are, you get the feeling they are in too deep to accept any comically low penalty after deals were refused.

I think you have a fair point here. If the penalty is ridiculously light, then why would anyone be interested in doing a deal with ASADA in the future? They only have fight it all the way and they would get a lesser penalty than if they took the original deal.

While I hate "deals" being made, I know there has to be some sort of incentive for people to take a deal rather than fight through the tribunal/courts in order for it to work.

it wasnt a deliberate duping IMO, it was poor due diligence on Dank for not checking that TB4 had become specifically banned within the last year, and Essendon for not checking on Dank more thoroughly, and failing to ensure Reid wasnt excluded. These are failing the club has already been punished for

You don't honestly believe this s*** do you?

Did anyone actually think this was going to be a totally independent process?

Did anyone actually think the AFL wants players banned? The AFL love us. They NEEEEED us.

Also did anyone realise KFC sell 24 nuggets for 10 bucks? Ripper deal.
Essendon were obviously hoping their experimental regime would have been independent of outside observers.

i think the motive to cheat wasnt there, so if the club is punished for the failures, and the players get reduced punishments for no significant fault and assistance im comfortable with this
The club was punished because of governance.
Now if as Lance Uppercut says there was a deal, ie; you take this and it's all you get, and if the EFC thought they were innocent, why would they take this deal?
The club was punished because of what could of happened.
Now if it has happened, they have not been punished for that (you cannot dope no matter if you mean to or not)
If the players are guilty and have been duped, then they were duped by the EFC, the penalties for doping start at 2 years, why should the EFC get a reduced sentence?

i think the motive to cheat wasnt there, so if the club is punished for the failures, and the players get reduced punishments for no significant fault and assistance im comfortable with this
Motive to cheat wasn't there? What were all the injections? Recreational?

Fines are meaningless.

Draft penalties were LIGHTER than what Adelaide received from their Tippett saga as you received the PP last year.

Your coach received a paid vacation not a suspension ....

Your main penalty in the loss of finals is your only real significant penalty .......

I don't think they do. My reading of the code suggests ASADA don't need to prove any faul element. Would help for seeking maximum ban though

The article makes no sense.

Why would potential penalties be discussed, before the tribunal, at this point in time?

According to the article neither the players' representatives nor the counsel for ASADA offered opinions on potential penalties.
I fail to see why the tribunal, prior to reaching its decision on the players' guilt or innocence, would invite or accept the AFL's submission on the type of penalty that the league considers appropriate should the players be found guilty.

If you think being kicked out finals, a $2 million fine (big whoop, Essendon is one the wealthiest clubs. 2 million is chicken feed to them. They still had plenty of money to still go to the supreme court and also make a profit), two years of first round and second rounds picks gone (but still got an end of first round pick to replace it. In effect only going down the order a few spots. Adelaide's loss of picks was worse), our coach being suspended for a year (while being fully paid with an all expenses paid holiday to study in France.), along with other things as the AFL leaking the charge sheet and further damaging our brand is a slap on the wrist, then I don't know what to say.

The article makes no sense.

Why would potential penalties be discussed, before the tribunal, at this point in time?

According to the article neither the players' representatives nor the counsel for ASADA offered opinions on potential penalties.
I fail to see why the tribunal, prior to reaching its decision on the players' guilt or innocence, would invite or accept the AFL's submission on the type of penalty that the league considers appropriate should the players be found guilty.

Article makes perfect sense if you consider the AFL likes trying to arrange things neatly to a prewritten script.

They just have not woken up to the fact they not the ones who are are deciding what happens.

Not really anything new.

Afl want small penalties, because it's their business losing money and image

The age just driving traffic to generate dollars. They probably know it will make it on bigfooty and will get clicked so many times

Not much imo

Fines are meaningless.

When you've had all the fees we've had along with all the fees to come in the future, an additional $2 million is not meaningless.

Draft penalties were LIGHTER than what Adelaide received from their Tippett saga as you received the PP last year.

Yes, because Adelaide stupidly offered up the punishment before the AFL even issued any sanctions. blame Trigg and the Adelaide board for that. Two years of draft sanctions is still very significant.

Your coach received a paid vacation not a suspension ....

Hird's from an individual perspective was relatively light, I agree. But what does that have to from Essendon's perspective where they lost their coach for a year?

Your main penalty in the loss of finals is your only real significant penalty .......

That is really ignorant view of it. If you honestly don't think two years worth of draft sanctions and a $2 million fine when we're already bleeding cash is significant, then * me, I don't know what to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back