2nds 2015 NEAFL discussions

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,
11025184_10152593551707191_5333620438446298612_n.jpg

Judging from some of the players who were not good enough to get a game against the Cats in the NAB cup today, we might have a better team than last year :p

Ablett, O'Meara, Prestia, Thompson, Maysie, Dixon and Martin would all make solid NEAFL players ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We had our fair share of trolls come through here last year. Win, lose or draw for the SUNS NEAFL team, we wont be tolerating it in 2015. Let this serve as a final warning for supporters of ALL teams. You will be carded if you come here to stir the pot.

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Man, NEAFL has gone to s**t. No culture, crap teams, stupid fixture.

I give it 2 years before it collapses completely and there's a total overhaul.

shaqsuns

Club Legend
Jun 13, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Cleveland Cavaliers
I agree with you on this one, no one supports it,its a glorified under 24s competition and the afl clubs run out there senior players for a half then put them on ice.

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
do you guys go out and watch any neafl games that don't involve the suns

I have seen a couple here and there. I watch UWS normally when they come play Brisbane and I used to watch the Sharks until they signed the biggest knob ever to put on a guernsey in QLD.

Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
The NEAFL comp is a great comp. What do you guys have against it specifically ?? Sure, the Suns got belted all year last year, and could have a tough year again this year, but it is the premier comp in Qld and NSW to develop our great game, and gives great exposure for local players to AFL scouts. If QLD and NSW want a comp that rivals the VFL and SANFL for quality, I think they are on the right path to developing that. No doubt it will take time though. A true AFL reserves comp, which may sound good in theory, is not viable. Proof of this is right in front of our eyes in the NEAFL comp.

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
We had our fair share of trolls come through here last year. Win, lose or draw for the SUNS NEAFL team, we wont be tolerating it in 2015. Let this serve as a final warning for supporters of ALL teams. You will be carded if you come here to stir the pot.

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
The NEAFL comp is a great comp. What do you guys have against it specifically ?? Sure, the Suns got belted all year last year, and could have a tough year again this year, but it is the premier comp in Qld and NSW to develop our great game, and gives great exposure for local players to AFL scouts. If QLD and NSW want a comp that rivals the VFL and SANFL for quality, I think they are on the right path to developing that. No doubt it will take time though. A true AFL reserves comp, which may sound good in theory, is not viable. Proof of this is right in front of our eyes in the NEAFL comp.
The premier comp for NSW and QLD should be completely separate. There are so many Aussie rules clubs in QLD that are 50+ years old who simply can't afford to compete in the NEAFL in its current form. If we truly want the game to grow in QLD, it can't involve our clubs spending half the year in NSW.

It's ridiculous to think that people in Queensland are going to be interested in going to a poorly concocted league consisting random teams from around NSW/ACT/QLD/NT + the four NSW/QLD AFL club's reserves teams.

Realistically, 10 SEQ teams with a Cairns, Townsville, and Rocky/Mackay team for a Queensland-only league would be perfect.

So many QLD clubs with rich histories have dropped from our state's top tier league (below AFL obviously) because of poor league maintenance and planning, and it's about time our great state has its OWN league to be proud of, instead of countless divisions of random clubs playing each other because half are too s**t to play in the NEAFL and the other half simply don't want to.

Victoria has VFL, South Australia has SANFL, and Western Australia has WAFL.

Queensland needs its own league, not just the rich non-AFL state clubs from the north eastern seaboard thrown together.

Last edited:

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
The premier comp for NSW and QLD should be completely separate. There are so many Aussie rules clubs in QLD that are 50+ years old who simply can't afford to compete in the NEAFL in its current form. If we truly want the game to grow in QLD, it can't involve our clubs spending half the year in NSW.

It's ridiculous to think that people in Queensland are going to be interested in going to a poorly concocted league consisting random teams from around NSW/ACT/QLD/NT + the four NSW/QLD AFL club's reserves teams.

Realistically, 10 SEQ teams with a Cairns, Townsville, and Rocky/Mackay team for a Queensland-only league would be perfect.

So many QLD clubs with rich histories have dropped from our state's top tier league (below AFL obviously) because of poor league maintenance and planning, and it's about time our great state has its OWN league to be proud of, instead of countless divisions of random clubs playing each other because half are too s**t to play in the NEAFL and the other half simply don't want to.

Victoria has VFL, South Australia has SANFL, and Western Australia has WAFL.

Queensland needs its own league, not just the rich non-AFL state clubs from the north eastern seaboard thrown together.

Experimental,

All great points above and in a perfect world this above would work - but where does this leave the 4 Northern based AFL Reserve sides? AFL Headquarters has stipulated on several occasions that the money is not there for a stand alone AFL reserve's competition - As mentioned above, currently all AFL Reserve sides play (just like the 4 Northern sides) in each states 2nd tier league's, the AFL Reserve sides need the best possible competition to enable all listed players be ready for a game in the seniors when required - We should all be embracing the NEAFL Competition as this Comp is a win, win for all participants especially the Swans, GWS, Suns and the Lions.

Yesterday

Senior List
Feb 22, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I believe that there will be an AFL reserve grade comp shortly. There's a new round of talks coming up for new TV rights and expect a new comp to be part of the rights bid. They will get the Bucks fund a comp (maybe only East Coast participants) and dismantle NEAFL. That's what my crystal ball tells me

Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I believe that there will be an AFL reserve grade comp shortly. There's a new round of talks coming up for new TV rights and expect a new comp to be part of the rights bid. They will get the Bucks fund a comp (maybe only East Coast participants) and dismantle NEAFL. That's what my crystal ball tells me
That would require a lot more players to be listed to each AFL club, a lot more club staff, and for the Lions, Suns, Swans and GWS to be flying to Victoria every second week, as well as the Victorian clubs travelling North several times a season. That would require an incredible amount of money. I don't see it happening myself, as what would the benefits be ??

Yesterday

Senior List
Feb 22, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That would require a lot more players to be listed to each AFL club, a lot more club staff, and for the Lions, Suns, Swans and GWS to be flying to Victoria every second week, as well as the Victorian clubs travelling North several times a season. That would require an incredible amount of money. I don't see it happening myself, as what would the benefits be ??

They already play top ups now. They could play top ups from TAC cup teams or VFA or other.
The benefit to a broadcaster is a second competition of a decent quality to fill broadcast time. If AFL want it, it will happen as it will be a condition of the broadcast rights....which means the increase in revenue will fund the comp...

They already play top ups now. They could play top ups from TAC cup teams or VFA or other.
The benefit to a broadcaster is a second competition of a decent quality to fill broadcast time. If AFL want it, it will happen as it will be a condition of the broadcast rights....which means the increase in revenue will fund the comp...

1) Games would still be on the weekend, when they are broadcasting AFL so they're not going to be looking to fill broadcast time. Now you could say that they could broadcast them during the week but in reality most people would most likely rather watch replays of AFL games they didn't catch during the week. At the very least having or not having reserves matches on TV isn't going to sway many people to either take up or not cancel their foxtel subscription.

2) if the AFL are going to make a condition that a broadcaster has to double its current match day resources (eg camera operators, editors, commentators, equipment etc) to show a product that isn't likely to gain them much more in the way of subscribers/viewers then its more likely that the AFL will have to accept a reduction in the revenue that they could earn without them. For an increase in revenue as a result of these games there has to be a viable commercial benefit for the broadcaster. I just don't see this happening with a reserves comp.

As for the NEAFL its really been set up to benefit the AFL clubs, not QLD and NSW football and in reality it has probably achieved its goal so far. Now whether that is right or not is another thing. The job for the AFL now is to get the QAFL and the NSW equivelant to a more competitive level and increase its exposure.

Aug 2, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
totally agree..
i mean i would watch this, gives supporters the chance to watch the kids play on a weekly basis.
look at the support you are getting from nab cup games. thats the majority of your clubs kids running around getting a kick.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
http://www.lions.com.au/news/2015-04-04/neafl-match-report
A final quarter led by a strong marking Peter Wright up forward wrestled the score back in favour of the Suns, who ran out 18-point winners.

GOALS
LIONS:
Hammelmann 3, Clayton 3, Evans 2, Close, Golby, Cutler.
SUNS: Wright 3, Matera 2, Boston 2, Downie 2, Bowes, Glenn, Budarick, Nicholls, Brooksby.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I wouldn't play 2MP yet. Just keep him there to develop until he starts kicking bags of 5 or 6. One haul of 3 in a practice 2s game isn't enough to play seniors yet IMO. Even if it is a good start. :)

I'm not as taken by bags of goals as I am by the report of his "strong marking in the forward line"
I mean that is totally foreign territory for us

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Yeah Leslie stretchered off in a neck brace does not sound good..

gee5

Rookie
Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
sunny just wondering how academy boys went againstbrisbane lions on saturday mate

Teams

UWS
B: 34. Caleb MARCHBANK, 39. Tim MOHR, 40. Adam KENNEDY
HB: 2. Curtly HAMPTON, 15. Tim GOLDS, 48. Mitch MAHADY
C: 13. Paul AHERN, 50. Sam REID, 43. Jake BARRETT
HF: 42. Pat McKENNA, 36. James STEWART, 11. Jed LAMB
F: 26. Jarrod PICKETT, 37. Rory LOBB, 38. Jack STEELE
Foll: 44. Tom DOWNIE, 43. Jake BARRETT, 49. Allister CLARKE

Int: 29. Zac WILLIAMS, 21. Matthew BUNTINE, 27. Andrew PHILLIPS, 51. Billy LAMBERT
Emg: 53. Robert BADGER, Tom BAKER

Gold Coast
B: 43. Jarred ELLIS, 20. Henry SCHADE, 39. Louis HERBERT
HB: 18. Trent McKENZIE, 21. Jack LESLIE, 27. Clay CAMERON
C: 8. Luke RUSSELL, 29. Andrew RAINES, 51. Connor WEST
HF: 38. Tyrone DOWNIE, 15. Daniel GORRINGE, 53. Glendon WOOSUP
F: 32. Brandon MATERA, 30. Peter WRIGHT, 33. Aaron HALL
Foll: 22. Tom NICHOLLS, 34. Josh GLENN, 37. Jesse LONERGAN

Int: 46. Josh HALL, 31. Keegan BROOKSBY, 13. Andrew BOSTON, 52. Curtis MARSDEN
Emg: 50. Cody FILEWOOD, 54. Jarrod BUTLER, 55. Robert BLOOD

Back