Jason Bennett to return from USA to host VFL on 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ver-in-the-score/story-fni5f22o-1227247514577

JASON Bennett has returned from the US to host Channel 7’s VFL coverage.

Bennett, who has spent the past six years working for ESPN in the States, will team up with former VFL player Nigel Carmody and Hawthorn premiership star Campbell Brown in the commentary box for Seven’s debut as the VFL broadcaster.

Seems an odd career move.

If it was AFL on Fox on 7 understandable, but from ESPN to VFL on 7mate? o_O

I thought he was fairly good on the old Fox Footy.
Wouldn't mind seeing him back there again, in a commentary/hosting role. (Say goodbye Ed/Dwayne).

so I take it that none of the commentators from the ABC VFL broadcast have been offered any roles at 7 ?

so I take it that none of the commentators from the ABC VFL broadcast have been offered any roles at 7 ?
Darren Boyd [is that his name ?] is still at the ABC.He does their other live coverage like womens basketball and stuff like that.
Does David Rhys-Jones still work on ABC radio AFL coverage ?
As for Phil Cleary

byebyebye.gif

I was expecting Peter Donegan to call the matches.

Freelancer who has done plenty of work on 7 (particularly on horse racing in recent times) and who called the VFL for the ABC.

yeah darren boyd is his name - be different not having phil clearly around as he was literally part of the furniture over there - i would also hope they get peter donegan to call some games - great commentator!

Donegan will just freelance as will Boyd.

Rhys-Jones can go back to running that pub of his in Carlton and Phil can spend more time on his social policies and helping to turn Coburg around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently Donegan is doing Saturday Afternoon AFL games with Basil now that Hamish is doing Sundays (plus he has his racing and Asian golf commitments). Boyd has been unheard since the last VFL GF (John Casey has been doing all the WNBL games on ABC).

Apparently Donegan is doing Saturday Afternoon AFL games with Basil now that Hamish is doing Sundays (plus he has his racing and Asian golf commitments). Boyd has been unheard since the last VFL GF (John Casey has been doing all the WNBL games on ABC).

Where did you learn about that? Has there been anything confirmed regarding Donners' doing the AFL on Seven this year? It would be pretty good if Donners did do Saturday afternoon AFL on Seven. Would make watching Saturday arvo footy on Seven somewhat watchable. Certainly would be miles ahead of Hamish and Basil, even though having them both still on the team on separate days would still be crap.

Where did you learn about that? Has there been anything confirmed regarding Donners' doing the AFL on Seven this year? It would be pretty good if Donners did do Saturday afternoon AFL on Seven. Would make watching Saturday arvo footy on Seven somewhat watchable. Certainly would be miles ahead of Hamish and Basil, even though having them both still on the team on separate days would still be crap.
That would be good, Donners is and has been one of the best for decades.

Impressing with the VFL coverage already. He's excellent. Just calls the game with no rubbish or gimmicky crap, but still manages to keep it entertaining - not to mention he already knows pretty much all of the players.

Big tick. Get him in the AFL quickly. Would be close to, if not already, the best commentator at AFL level instantly.

Impressing with the VFL coverage already. He's excellent. Just calls the game with no rubbish or gimmicky crap, but still manages to keep it entertaining - not to mention he already knows pretty much all of the players.

Big tick. Get him in the AFL quickly. Would be close to, if not already, the best commentator at AFL level instantly.

100% agree.

It's amazing how so many commentators (or producers) think that people tune in to listen to them, rather than the actual footy.

Hopefully a stepping stone for him to return to doing the AFL next year. Perhaps to take over from Dennis/Bruce?

Was great when he was one of the initial callers on Fox Footy from 2002-06 (I think).

Agree with the comments above. There's no theatrics, no talking for the sake of talking, no rambling, no mindless drivel or bs, just gets on with calling the game.

More of it please.

So this isn't happening? :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back