Movie What's the last movie you saw? (4)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally saw American Sniper. Despite the creative licence, it was a good film - Eastwood is a gun. Not as good as The Hurt Locker though, which is much more complex.

CATCH ME IF YOU CAN

Part 1:

Being an impostor has a long history with literally dozens, perhaps 100s, of examples. The first one in my lifetime that came to my knowledge was The Great Impostor. It was a 1961 movie based on the true story of an impostor namedFerdinand Waldo Demara. Loosely based onRobert Crichton's1959 biography of the same name, it starredTony Curtisin the title role. In 1959, I was 15, and an all-star baseball player in the little town where I had grown-up in Ontario's Golden Horseshoe. I was in love with at least two girls who knew nothing of my affections, and I joined the Baha'i Faith. I was the only youth between the cities of Toronto and Hamilton along Lake Ontario.

Catch Me If You Canis a 2002 American biographicalcrimedrama filmbased on the life of Frank Abagnale. Before his 19th birthday, Abagnale successfully performed cons worth millions of dollars. I watched the film last night1 more than a dozen years after it was released into cinemas. I was in the first years of my 70s after taking an early retirement, a sea-change, and reinventing myself as a writer and author, online blogger and journalist. After watching the film, I made a brief study of the history of impostors and, then, wrote this prose-poem.

Part 1.1:

The film deals with themes of broken homes and troubled childhoods, but these themes play a minor key in the overall plot with its fast pace and entertaining storyline. Abagnale posed as aPan American World Airwayspilot, a Georgia doctor, and a Louisianaparishprosecutor. His primary crime was check fraud; he became so experienced that the FBI eventually turned to him to help in catching other check forgers.

The film was directed bySteven Spielbergand starredLeonardo DiCaprioandTom Hanks. Development for the film started in 1980 when I was finally stabilized on medication for my bipolar disorder at the age of 35.

Progress on the film began to take-off in 1997 when the film rights to Abagnale’s book were sold to Spielberg's company DreamWorks. By then, in the late 1990s, I was heading for retirement at the age of 55 after a 50 year student and paid employment life, 1949 to 1999.

Part 2:

The film was a financial and critical success, and the real Abagnale reacted positively to it. Abagnale wrote back in 2002, before the film was released, that: "I feel it is necessary to make the following statement concerning the book and the film, Catch Me If You Can. The reasons for this statement is to provide clarification and accuracy. I wrote the book, Catch Me If You Can, in the late 1970s more than a dozen years after I had given-up my life of crime. The book was written from my perspective as a 16-year old in the early 1960s with the help of a co-writer. I'm now 54 and I sold the movie rights in 1980.

I was interviewed by the co-writer only about four times. I believe he did a great job of telling the story, but he also over dramatized and exaggerated some of the story. That was his style and what the editor wanted. He always reminded me that he was just telling a story and not writing my biography. This is one of the reasons that from the very beginning, I insisted the publisher put a disclaimer in the book and tapes.

It has been reported that I had written $10 million, $8 million and $5 million worth of bad checks. The actual amount was $2.5 million. I was never on the FBI's Ten Most Wanted List as this is reserved for very violent criminals who pose a threat to society. All of the crimes I committed were when I was between the ages 16 and 21. I served time in prison in France, Sweden and the United States. In the U. S. Federal Court, I was sentenced as a youthful offender because of my age at the time the crimes were committed. Even so, I was given 12 years of which I served a total of five years. This was considered harsh punishment then and almost unheard of today.

Part 2.1:

I have been married for over 25 years and I am the proud father of three sons. When I was 28 years old, I thought it would be great to have a movie about my life, but when I was 28, like when I was 16, I was egotistical and self-centered. We all grow up. Hopefully we get wiser. Age brings wisdom and fatherhood changes one's life completely. I consider my past immoral, unethical and illegal. It is something I am not proud of. I am proud that I have been able to turn my life around and in the past 25 years, helped my government, my clients, thousands of corporations and consumers deal with the problems of white collar crime and fraud.

I know that Hollywood has made a number of changes to the story, but I am honoured that Steven Spielberg, Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks participated in the making of the movie inspired by my life. It is important to understand that it is just a movie… not a biographical documentary.2-Ron Price with thanks to 1ONE TV, 9:00-12:00 pm, 2/3/'15; and 2Frank W. Abagnale, Webpost, September 3, 2002

Part 2.2:

Making bio-pics, and writing

biographies, autobiographies,

memoires, journals & diaries

can result in exaggeration, &

over-dramatization. Writers,

& film-makers play with the

facts for the sake of reading

or viewing pleasure.1 .....So

a documentary is not made

but, rather, a smooth-funny

and friendly film with color,

smartness, a brisk-tempo, &

every impulse subordinated

to the task of manufacturing

pleasure for millions & me!

1 Abagnale reported. "I hope in the end the movie will be entertaining, exciting, and funny. I hope, too, that it will bring home an important message about family, childhood and divorce". Spielberg stated that: "there are many strands in the film that clearly say something about me; I can portray some of my autobiography through the telling of this light-hearted story".

Part 3.1:

As I wrote the above I was reminded of some of the sociological theory I taught in the last decade of my teaching career in the 1990s. I was reminded especially of dramaturgy, asociologicalperspective starting fromsymbolic interactionismand commonly used in microsociologicalaccounts of social interaction in everyday life. The term was first adapted into sociology from the theatre byErving Goffman. He developed most of the related terminology and ideas in his 1959 book,The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life.Kenneth Burke, whom Goffman would later acknowledge as an influence,had earlier presented his notions ofdramatismin 1945, which in turn derives fromShakespeare. However, the fundamental difference between Burke's and Goffman's view is that Burke believed that life was in fact theatre, whereas Goffman viewed theatre as a metaphor. If we imagine ourselves as directors observing what goes on in the theatre of everyday life, we are doing what Goffman called dramaturgical analysis, the study of social interaction in terms of theatrical performance.

Part 3.2:

In dramaturgical sociology it is argued that the elements ofhuman interactionsare dependent upon time, place, and audience. In other words, to Goffman, theselfis a sense of who one is, a dramatic effect emerging from the immediate scene being presented. Goffman forms a theatricalmetaphorin defining the method in which one human being presents itself to another based on culturalvalues, norms, and beliefs. The goal of this presentation of self is acceptance from the audience through carefully conducted performance. If the actor succeeds, the audience will view the actor as he or she wants to be viewed.

Dramaturgical theory suggests that a person'sidentityis not a stable and independent psychological entity, but rather, it is constantly remade as the person interacts with others. This process is sometimes called "impression management.

Ron Price

3/3/'15.

CATCH ME IF YOU CAN

Part 1:

Being an impostor has a long history with literally dozens, perhaps 100s, of examples. The first one in my lifetime that came to my knowledge was The Great Impostor. It was a 1961 movie based on the true story of an impostor namedFerdinand Waldo Demara. Loosely based onRobert Crichton's1959 biography of the same name, it starredTony Curtisin the title role. In 1959, I was 15, and an all-star baseball player in the little town where I had grown-up in Ontario's Golden Horseshoe. I was in love with at least two girls who knew nothing of my affections, and I joined the Baha'i Faith. I was the only youth between the cities of Toronto and Hamilton along Lake Ontario.

Catch Me If You Canis a 2002 American biographicalcrimedrama filmbased on the life of Frank Abagnale. Before his 19th birthday, Abagnale successfully performed cons worth millions of dollars. I watched the film last night1 more than a dozen years after it was released into cinemas. I was in the first years of my 70s after taking an early retirement, a sea-change, and reinventing myself as a writer and author, online blogger and journalist. After watching the film, I made a brief study of the history of impostors and, then, wrote this prose-poem.

Part 1.1:

The film deals with themes of broken homes and troubled childhoods, but these themes play a minor key in the overall plot with its fast pace and entertaining storyline. Abagnale posed as aPan American World Airwayspilot, a Georgia doctor, and a Louisianaparishprosecutor. His primary crime was check fraud; he became so experienced that the FBI eventually turned to him to help in catching other check forgers.

The film was directed bySteven Spielbergand starredLeonardo DiCaprioandTom Hanks. Development for the film started in 1980 when I was finally stabilized on medication for my bipolar disorder at the age of 35.

Progress on the film began to take-off in 1997 when the film rights to Abagnale’s book were sold to Spielberg's company DreamWorks. By then, in the late 1990s, I was heading for retirement at the age of 55 after a 50 year student and paid employment life, 1949 to 1999.

Part 2:

The film was a financial and critical success, and the real Abagnale reacted positively to it. Abagnale wrote back in 2002, before the film was released, that: "I feel it is necessary to make the following statement concerning the book and the film, Catch Me If You Can. The reasons for this statement is to provide clarification and accuracy. I wrote the book, Catch Me If You Can, in the late 1970s more than a dozen years after I had given-up my life of crime. The book was written from my perspective as a 16-year old in the early 1960s with the help of a co-writer. I'm now 54 and I sold the movie rights in 1980.

I was interviewed by the co-writer only about four times. I believe he did a great job of telling the story, but he also over dramatized and exaggerated some of the story. That was his style and what the editor wanted. He always reminded me that he was just telling a story and not writing my biography. This is one of the reasons that from the very beginning, I insisted the publisher put a disclaimer in the book and tapes.

It has been reported that I had written $10 million, $8 million and $5 million worth of bad checks. The actual amount was $2.5 million. I was never on the FBI's Ten Most Wanted List as this is reserved for very violent criminals who pose a threat to society. All of the crimes I committed were when I was between the ages 16 and 21. I served time in prison in France, Sweden and the United States. In the U. S. Federal Court, I was sentenced as a youthful offender because of my age at the time the crimes were committed. Even so, I was given 12 years of which I served a total of five years. This was considered harsh punishment then and almost unheard of today.

Part 2.1:

I have been married for over 25 years and I am the proud father of three sons. When I was 28 years old, I thought it would be great to have a movie about my life, but when I was 28, like when I was 16, I was egotistical and self-centered. We all grow up. Hopefully we get wiser. Age brings wisdom and fatherhood changes one's life completely. I consider my past immoral, unethical and illegal. It is something I am not proud of. I am proud that I have been able to turn my life around and in the past 25 years, helped my government, my clients, thousands of corporations and consumers deal with the problems of white collar crime and fraud.

I know that Hollywood has made a number of changes to the story, but I am honoured that Steven Spielberg, Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks participated in the making of the movie inspired by my life. It is important to understand that it is just a movie… not a biographical documentary.2-Ron Price with thanks to 1ONE TV, 9:00-12:00 pm, 2/3/'15; and 2Frank W. Abagnale, Webpost, September 3, 2002

Part 2.2:

Making bio-pics, and writing

biographies, autobiographies,

memoires, journals & diaries

can result in exaggeration, &

over-dramatization. Writers,

& film-makers play with the

facts for the sake of reading

or viewing pleasure.1 .....So

a documentary is not made

but, rather, a smooth-funny

and friendly film with color,

smartness, a brisk-tempo, &

every impulse subordinated

to the task of manufacturing

pleasure for millions & me!

1 Abagnale reported. "I hope in the end the movie will be entertaining, exciting, and funny. I hope, too, that it will bring home an important message about family, childhood and divorce". Spielberg stated that: "there are many strands in the film that clearly say something about me; I can portray some of my autobiography through the telling of this light-hearted story".

Part 3.1:

As I wrote the above I was reminded of some of the sociological theory I taught in the last decade of my teaching career in the 1990s. I was reminded especially of dramaturgy, asociologicalperspective starting fromsymbolic interactionismand commonly used in microsociologicalaccounts of social interaction in everyday life. The term was first adapted into sociology from the theatre byErving Goffman. He developed most of the related terminology and ideas in his 1959 book,The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life.Kenneth Burke, whom Goffman would later acknowledge as an influence,had earlier presented his notions ofdramatismin 1945, which in turn derives fromShakespeare. However, the fundamental difference between Burke's and Goffman's view is that Burke believed that life was in fact theatre, whereas Goffman viewed theatre as a metaphor. If we imagine ourselves as directors observing what goes on in the theatre of everyday life, we are doing what Goffman called dramaturgical analysis, the study of social interaction in terms of theatrical performance.

Part 3.2:

In dramaturgical sociology it is argued that the elements ofhuman interactionsare dependent upon time, place, and audience. In other words, to Goffman, theselfis a sense of who one is, a dramatic effect emerging from the immediate scene being presented. Goffman forms a theatricalmetaphorin defining the method in which one human being presents itself to another based on culturalvalues, norms, and beliefs. The goal of this presentation of self is acceptance from the audience through carefully conducted performance. If the actor succeeds, the audience will view the actor as he or she wants to be viewed.

Dramaturgical theory suggests that a person'sidentityis not a stable and independent psychological entity, but rather, it is constantly remade as the person interacts with others. This process is sometimes called "impression management.

Ron Price

3/3/'15.

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/printable.asp?m=3737468
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/show...b5729de2ed769ef2a71&p=77186270&postcount=8804

Citizenfour - The ******* gravitas with every scene. It's so unlike any other doco I've seen, almost surreal. It's a thriller in that sense, with Snowden the charming yet paranoid protagonist. Best doco I've seen in a few years. 9/10

Moneyball (rewatch) - Bought it on blu-ray so watched it for the first time since it came out, and once again came away thinking it was fantastic. I don't know what the criticisms against it might be, maybe it's not your atypical sports film, or unintelligible or just boring but it hit all the marks I was after. Feel like if Pitt wasn't up against a French dude in a silent film, he should of won. 9.5/10

Exodus - Gods and Kings.
Man, an even worse remake than the Clash of the Titans debacle.
Definitely one of the worst 'blockbusters' I've seen ever and really sad that Ridley Scott had anything to do with this garbage.
Just pure shiite.
2/10 :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Foxcatcher -- Great performances by all three leads. I think it was good but did begin to drag a bit in the middle stages. It was also hard getting a time line at the end as the "finale'" part actually happened about 6 years after the olympics. I'll give this a 7/10.

The Pyramid - just another 'found footage' type thing that really blunders its way to some kind of end. With a decent budget this idea could have really worked. 3/10

Clown - fairly good modern horror/splatter movie. 5.5/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amores Perros (2000) - One of those modern well know international films that's always evaded me. Well made and the depiction of Mexico City society was striking. The first story (if you like) was the best. The others didn't illicit the same degree of emotion for me. Felt the Almodovar influence on parts of it. The director just won the Oscar for Birdman and it's good to see this earlier work. I favour the likes of 21 Grams and Babel but this was pretty good. Gael Garcia Bernal was at his erratic best too. 7.5/10

Amores Perros (2000) - One of those modern well know international films that's always evaded me. Well made and the depiction of Mexico City society was striking. The first story (if you like) was the best. The others didn't illicit the same degree of emotion for me. Felt the Almodovar influence on parts of it. The director just won the Oscar for Birdman and it's good to see this earlier work. I favour the likes of 21 Grams and Babel but this was pretty good. Gael Garcia Bernal was at his erratic best too. 7.5/10
If you liked that you'll enjoy City of God (assuming you haven't seen it) and it's depiction of another Latin American city, Rio de Janeiro, is even more 'striking'.

Exodus - Gods and Kings.
Man, an even worse remake than the Clash of the Titans debacle.
Definitely one of the worst 'blockbusters' I've seen ever and really sad that Ridley Scott had anything to do with this garbage.
Just pure shiite.
2/10 :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Hard to believe this is the same guy responsible for Blade Runner, a film that IMO is in the Top 10 films of all time.

42 - The Jackie Robinson story

Anyone who has even the slightest interest in baseball knows this story.

Fave moment -

11047220_10152741443248527_1207671315_n.jpg

^^ Not gonna lie , bottom lip quivered a bit

11051120_10152741445648527_467462699_n.jpg

6.5/10

Hard to believe this is the same guy responsible for Blade Runner, a film that IMO is in the Top 10 films of all time.
Exactly.
Alien - 9/10
Blade runner - 9/10
Gladiator - 9/10
American Gangster - 8/10
1984 - 7/10
Black Hawk Down - 8/10
Prometheus - 7/10

Exodus just fails compared to these fantastic examples on his résumé. :(

Citizenfour - T Snowden the charming yet paranoid protagonist.

Paranoia is a survival skill. The system has no morals, no laws to abide by, stops at nothing to get what it wants. If it's you it wants, if it wants you silenced, you can't be anything but paranoid to survive.

Alexander and the terrible horrible no good very bad day

Look, its never going to win an Academy Award or anything like that but it was a brilliant movie. It was fun, the characters were very likeable and easy to engage with. A very fun and enjoyable movie to watch on a Saturday night. It helped it has Steve Carell in it and a massive reference to Australua as well. Loved it.

8.5 out of 10.

Now going to watch Boyhood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back