Parents pressure - Graduate or international internship?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 17, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hi,

I'm about to start my final year of Electrical Engineering at QUT, and I'm expected to graduate mid 2016, due to a couple of missed units due to study exchange and whatnot, so that's cool.

But I just finished an interview with BMW, and they are most likely offering me a 4-month internship program in Germany, starting in March, which is fully paid for by them.

The problem is, that this will almost certainly delay my graduation by another 6 months, so end 2016. My parents are against me taking this internship, and they just want me to finish the degree then look for a job.

I'm torn, I would love to work for one of the best automobile companies in the world and get a once-in-lifetime experience, but at the same time, my graduation has already been delayed 6 months, but another 6 months, is it worth it?

Any ways to convince them otherwise? Also to note: I still live with them and an Asian background, so you get the over-protectiveness vibe coming from them.

I'm torn, I would love to work for one of the best automobile companies in the world and get a once-in-lifetime experience, but at the same time, my graduation has already been delayed 6 months, but another 6 months, is it worth it?

Any ways to convince them otherwise? Also to note: I still live with them and an Asian background, so you get the over-protectiveness vibe coming from them.

Find out the job prospects from the internship ahead of time. Ask your connection what previous interns have gone on to do.

If you can convince them that the extra six months can better, or even insure, your chance at employment, they'd be hard pressed to argue against it.

Then again, I've seen the cultural ties you're coming from in effect plenty of times before, so good luck. But s**t, I'd give an appendage to get an in at a company of that level.

Hi,

I'm about to start my final year of Electrical Engineering at QUT, and I'm expected to graduate mid 2016, due to a couple of missed units due to study exchange and whatnot, so that's cool.

But I just finished an interview with BMW, and they are most likely offering me a 4-month internship program in Germany, starting in March, which is fully paid for by them.

The problem is, that this will almost certainly delay my graduation by another 6 months, so end 2016. My parents are against me taking this internship, and they just want me to finish the degree then look for a job.

Following on from the great points PACatter made above, perhaps you could make the overprotectiveness work to your advantage. Is there an advantage in delaying your graduation ie more positions available straight after garduation if you graduate at the end of the year rather than in the middle of the year? In most fields international experience with a company like this would be very highly regarded too. I second the suggestion to find out if doing this internship would lead to better job prospects. All the best, it's an amazing opportunity and I hope you take it!

Do what you want mate but I'd suggest some real life experience, especially internationally would assist in being your point of difference compared to other grads down the track.

If you're willing to delay your graduation, I say go for it. How are you being supported at the moment? Parents?

Would be so worth it. Having that on a list of experiences trying to get a job will most certainly out weigh the wait of 6 months. I mean really it's 6 month only. But I do understand the asian background and family way of life due to a few mates being the same.

Hi,

You're only young for a set amount of time. Take the 4 months in Germany, you may never get the opportunity to travel there again in your life. The uni course can be completed any time, and it's only 6 months extra.

Take the internship. The graduate engineering job market is seriously tough at the moment. Companies are realising that they can pick up someone with 10 years experience for say 70-80k, which is much better for them than a grad on say 50-55K that needs a good 6-12 months to get up to speed.

Also keep in mind it's hard to get a graduate job straight away. Chances are you will be unemployed or stacking shelves for 3-6 months after graduating anyway.

Take the internship. It looks amazing on your CV, big companies love people with a bit of life experience (I started my grad job just before turning 30, and every firm I interviewed with made positive murmurs about having travelled/worked/lived a bit before starting the career), and firms only really care about your graduation date from the perspective of it not being 5 years ago. Just explain to your folks how tough the job market is and how the internship will put you in the best position to gain the best career.

I'd take the internship if I were in your shoes mate. Granted your background, perhaps you could explain to them that it would be a real highlight and advantage to have that experience on your resume when going for future jobs? It sounds like a pretty prestigious, once in a life time kind of deal. BMW is a very recognisable company so having experience working with them would surely be an boon to your future career. Further to that, if there were others who applied for the internship and you beat them to be offered it, it would also demonstrate to employers that (by comparison) you are ahead of others around the same age/with similar skills and qualifications.

Would you also be earning a wage while completing the internship?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't let it be something that you'll look back on later on in life and wonder "what if I had taken it?" Go for it and make the most of your opportunities.

Take it. Not only for the experience which will be amazing. But just having Bayerische Motoren Werke AG on your CV will make a huge difference. Doors will open.

You'd be foolish to not take it.

If it wasn't paid and you had to support youself through it, it may be a different position - but grad intakes are much higher for students who finish at year end, than mid year - so a 6 month delay which includes significant experience should actually make you a more attractive candidate (and you may even get a job with BMW as a result of your work as an intern).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back