Tippett's Gone - READ RULES BEFORE POSTING

Which AFC deserter were/are you most salty towards?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me put this to you.

You have a 6 year old, he/she wants to eat a bucket load of fairy floss at 10 pm. You know its not good for them as they will get sick and you will be up and down all night.

Do you allow them to eat it to prove a point or just say no? you say no as you know you are making the best decision for them in the short and long term future. You are not looking to prove a point or to keep them happy. You are acting in the best interest of the child.

Trigg and Reid needed to say NO to ant ******* deal and this does not occour. Who cares what Tippett does or doesn't do, the best interest of the club must come first and everything else secondary.

How hard is that to understand.

The part that I find hard to understand, is where your analogy compares a 6 year old kid, to a professional athlete with the representation of an accredited AFL player manager, employed primarily for the purpose of handling said athlete's contract.

Trigg and Reid should have absolutely said no, but they didn't. This does not absolve Tippett and his representatives of any guilt for their actions, which is why they were suspended.

The part that I find hard to understand, is where your analogy compares a 6 year old kid, to a professional athlete with the representation of an accredited AFL player manager, employed primarily for the purpose of handling said athlete's contract.

Trigg and Reid should have absolutely said no, but they didn't. This does not absolve Tippett and his representatives of any guilt for their actions, which is why they were suspended.

Why do you assume that Trigg & Reid weren't the one's proposing the deal?

I assume it was

Please don't take this as a troll but didn't Tippett do the same thing a lot of other players do, ask for a trade? Crows did the wrong thing to keep him and got caught. You have now paid your dues.
Why is it such a big issue with Tippett? Clubs move players around, or delist all the time. Is the anger more related to the punishment than the player?
Look at Vince. Did Tippett run out on the club any more than the club ran out on Vince?

Well, as long as it's not a troll :rolleyes:

I know it's hard for you, but try putting yourself in someone elses shoes. Imagine one of your gun players was offered the world to stay at the club, but instead insisted on illegal conditions being placed in his contract. Then after getting that, he decides to leave anyway. Then he nominates a club knowing that they are unable to offer reasonable compensation, making it impossible for us to actually complete a trade without attraction the AFL's attention. Then just to make double certain we get screwed, his management sends the illegal contract to journalists to ensure that we are discovered. How would you feel about it?

We all get that the club was in the wrong as well. We've all accepted that and moved on from it. We got punished, just as we deserved. The thing is, that doesn't absolve Tippett from his actions. He lied to the club about his intentions and he dropped every one of his former teammates in the s**t just so he could go to the reigning premiers, even despite surely knowing it was going to cost him a lengthy suspension. He's a selfish scumbag and frankly, you'd be better off just pretending you're trolling, because trying to draw comparisons between his actions and those of most other player movements or club-initiated trades makes you look like an idiot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, as long as it's not a troll :rolleyes:

I know it's hard for you, but try putting yourself in someone elses shoes. Imagine one of your gun players was offered the world to stay at the club, but instead insisted on illegal conditions being placed in his contract. Then after getting that, he decides to leave anyway. Then he nominates a club knowing that they are unable to offer reasonable compensation, making it impossible for us to actually complete a trade without attraction the AFL's attention. Then just to make double certain we get screwed, his management sends the illegal contract to journalists to ensure that we are discovered. How would you feel about it?

We all get that the club was in the wrong as well. We've all accepted that and moved on from it. We got punished, just as we deserved. The thing is, that doesn't absolve Tippett from his actions. He lied to the club about his intentions and he dropped every one of his former teammates in the s**t just so he could go to the reigning premiers, even despite surely knowing it was going to cost him a lengthy suspension. He's a selfish scumbag and frankly, you'd be better off just pretending you're trolling, because trying to draw comparisons between his actions and those of most other player movements or club-initiated trades makes you look like an idiot.
Wouldnt want to meet you in a dark alley Stabby!!!

The last 10 pages of this thread are tragic, bitter and unfortunately a pretty accurate reflection of our supporter base.

We are like a 15 year old girl who just got dumped and is now calling her ex-boyfriends new lover a fat ****.

The best part is the contradiction between our glee at Eddie Betts arriving and the bountiful reasons as to why Aish should abandon the club that has spent the last two years developing him - but when Tippet wants out he is a mercenary and when Gunston wants out he is a mummy's boy.

The last 10 pages of this thread are tragic, bitter and unfortunately a pretty accurate reflection of our supporter base.

We are like a 15 year old girl who just got dumped and is now calling her ex-boyfriends new lover a fat ****.

The best part is the contradiction between our glee at Eddie Betts arriving and the bountiful reasons as to why Aish should abandon the club that has spent the last two years developing him - but when Tippet wants out he is a mercenary and when Gunston wants out he is a mummy's boy.

FFS did you not read Stabby's post literally one post before the last one, you are as bad as the Port troll. It is the manner in the way he left and the ramifications that followed that knocked a lot of supporters noses out of joint and still do.:rolleyes:

We all get that the club was in the wrong as well. We've all accepted that and moved on from it. We got punished, just as we deserved. The thing is, that doesn't absolve Tippett from his actions. He lied to the club about his intentions and he dropped every one of his former teammates in the s**t just so he could go to the reigning premiers, even despite surely knowing it was going to cost him a lengthy suspension.

Did he? I thought that he wanted out at the end of 2009. We threw a bunch of money at him, convinced him to stay and secured that deal by guaranteeing at the end of his contract we would allow him to go wherever he wanted for a 2nd round pick.

As Sanders points out - he was willing to leave again at the end of 2011, but the club stopped him being traded to Brisbane.

Then at the end of his contract he declares he wants out and wants to go to Sydney. I think his intentions were crystal clear to all that he wanted out and he told the club this the entire time. We took a calculated risk in trying to keep him and it backfired massively due to our incompetence.

He's a selfish scumbag and frankly, you'd be better off just pretending you're trolling, because trying to draw comparisons between his actions and those of most other player movements or club-initiated trades makes you look like an idiot.

He is a selfish scumbag? Why? Because he wanted to get paid? Because he wanted to play for a different club? I would argue 90% of AFL players are selfish scumbags then.

He finished his contractual obligation to the club by playing from 2010-2012. He then wanted to leave (which was pre-approved by the AFC) and this was blocked due to the dodgy contract signed by both the club and Tippo. From that point onwards - it was every man for itself. The club was acting in its best interest and so was Tippett.

Look as a fan I understand not liking Tippett because he left the football club. We have every right to hate the guy for walking out on our club - its what fans do. But lets admit that the reason we don't like Tippett is because he dumped us and we got nothing in return. At least when every other player left our club we got some form of compensation to make us feel better.

CBF reading an extra 15 pages of what I presume are mainly posts by Sydney fans getting some pre-Mardi Gras exercise in.

But to me it's pretty clear.

Sydney tried to get Tippett for as little as possible ... because it was best for Sydney. So they should.

Tippett's old man tried to get as much coin for his boy as possible ... because it was best for them. So they should.

Our ******* club reps tried to do a dodgy deal, then kept a paper trail of it, then had a chance to bury the deal when Brisbane came knocking, then could have traded him to Sydney for 23 and steak knives, then came clean, then bent over and told the AFL to go in with no lube ... because it was best for ... I don't know, satire?

It was late 2009. I was taking a break from my studies with exams looming, reading up on the Crows Best & Fairest which had been held the night before. Bernie Vince had won a tight race for the medal. Porps was second then a glut of players within a vote or two. A few weeks before, I’d been one of those at the ‘G screaming foul of Truck giving away a stupid free to Jack Anthony resulting in us missing another prelim by 4 points.

One of the heroes that night had been an up-and-coming big forward by the name of Kurt Tippett. His 4 goals had nearly been enough to get us over the line, but many argue that had our most important x-factor, Chris Knights, not injured himself in the first quarter, we’d have cantered home to win by the length of the straight. Sadly, we never saw the best of Knighta again.

Speculation had been mounting all season that Tippett was likely to sign for the new franchise, the Gold Coast Suns, as Kurt was a native of the Queensland surf coast. But Crows fans had seen that Kurt was capable of anything at AFL level, and we all saw him as a key part of any flag contention over the coming few years. We didn’t want to see him go.

When I heard that Kurt had re-signed with the Adelaide Football Club for an extended two years, my heart leapt with joy. But there was something that struck me, even at that point, that gave me a little chill, and dampened the joy I had felt at the news. At the Best & Fairest count, our chairman, John Reid, had announced the contract extension of our star forward.

"There is always an inflationary effect to player salaries when new teams are introduced to the league, particularly if they have a bigger salary cap than the rest of us," Reid said.

"We haven't sold the farm to keep Kurt. We would not have done the deal had that been required because we will respect the salary cap and our other players.

"Now, we've needed to put up a few bales of hay to keep Kurt but we've also kept the farm; we've certainly not sold our soul."

The question I asked myself was this; if we hadn’t sold our soul to keep Kurt, what was the point of saying this at all? Something didn’t seem right to me, but I passed it off, as I’m sure many here did as well, as just something Reid said. Let’s not forget, Reid was a tired old man on his last Crow legs, and Kurt’s signature was his parting gift to us all.

I put these thoughts and feelings to the back of my head, and as I had always done in the past, let my heart lead me through the next two awful years.

2012 was a year of change, and hope. Tex and Tippo were one of the strongest forward combinations in the game. Rory and Danger had begun to show us that they would be future stars. Thommo was running rings around what our opponents called ‘taggers’. All the signs were there that we could pull off an amazing feat. While we missed the Grand Final by a kick, we were all positive and upbeat about our next year’s prospects.

Speculation had again been mounting all season about Kurt Tippett’s contract. Would he stay? Would he go? Stephen Rowe’s shed was riding on the decision. It was expected that if Kurt were to leave, he’d more than likely head to the Suns, or possibly the Lions who had a much greater need for a big forward, and were only an hour or so down the highway.

Word coming from the Tippett camp appeared to be positive for Crows fans. He seemed to be enjoying his footy, enjoying playing with his mates. Coming off a 5 goal haul in round 12 against the Saints, Tippett was concussed in the second quarter of the round 13 game against the Kangaroos. After being subbed off he managed to play the next two games, but struggled for form, and missed the round 16 game with lingering concussion issues. He was concussed again in the second quarter of the round 17 clash with the Eagles.

Talk from the Tippett camp petered out during his 3 week lay-off from the latest concussion and rumours began to emerge of discontent. Many would say this discontent lay simmering since way back in 2009, when the fishbowl effect truly began to speak dirty truths about Adelaide in the depths of Kurt’s mind.

Despite coming so close to playing off against the Swans in the 2012 Grand Final, Kurt announced post season that he was off to the reigning premiers. I remember distinctly where I was when the announcement was made. I was at pre-drinks for an early work Christmas event with my partner, with drinking, horse-racing, drinking, roast lunch, drinking, gambling and drinking to come. It ruined my day.

Over the coming days and weeks the stories began to emerge of that fateful contract, and the bleedingly stupid emails, which set the fate for the Adelaide Crows over the last two years. Rules were broken, careers were ruined and supporters lost hope. I lost hope. My mind wandered back to the ’09 B&F John Reid speech, as it still does occasionally. It sends a little shiver down my spine every time.

But over the past 5 months, hope has begun to emerge again. Roo, then Fagan, then Walsh, have in a short period of time picked up the club, shaken out the dust, beat it with a stick, shaken out some more dust, and put us down again. Team first; man talks; authentic. Taylor Walker. Daniel Talia. Nathan Van Berlo. Keenan Ramsey.

I say it’s time to look forward, not back. There’re a lot of positives we can take from the way the club is now doing things. We’ve all seen it. Even the most glass half empty among us (who would rather we saw them as realistic) have commented on being more positive so far this off-season. Sanders, Mike Smyth and Alex spring to mind immediately.

While we must hold our past to us dearly, as it made us what we are today, we can begin to let go of the feelings we felt back then. And there’re a few things which will help us get back on track. 1. Winning. 2. Kurt coming to Adelaide so we can boo our faces off at him. Then we can drop it. It’s done. It’s finished. Go Crowies.

-Snip-
Despite coming so close to playing off against the Swans in the 2012 Grand Final, Kurt announced post season that he was off to the reigning premiers. I remember distinctly where I was when the announcement was made. I was at pre-drinks for an early work Christmas event with my partner, with drinking, horse-racing, drinking, roast lunch, drinking, gambling and drinking to come. It ruined my day.
-Snip-

Nearly 1300 pages and probably the best post in this thread.

I too remember the day it was announced he was off to Sydney. It was a Saturday, and my little cousins were around our place. It was tweeted by Patrick Keane (This still boggles my mind. Why did the AFL's media relations guy announce it?)

I distinctly remember storming out of the study and announcing "The bastard's going to Sydney"

I then remember the shitstorm that followed. Staying up until 11:30 every night waiting for the latest Age article about how we ****ed up. That was the worst I've ever felt as a Crows fan. I lost faith. How could the club be so stupid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back