SEN Radio's "All Night Appetite" 2015 season preview for North

Remove this Banner Ad

Is on soon, for anyone awake and interested. I've heard all of their previews prior to tonight (they're doing them alphabetically) and they've been worth listening to, whether you agree or disagree. They always include an ex player in the discussion and tonight it's Cameron Mooney joining them.

I mentioned awhile ago their 2014 Season Reviews. Obviously this is all about the coming year.

Tune in anyway:

www.sen.com.au/listenlive

Any chance of a summary for those of us who actually got some sleep last night? Just checked the website and couldn't find the audio.

Any chance of a summary for those of us who actually got some sleep last night? Just checked the website and couldn't find the audio.

Hoping they whack a podcast up somewhere mate. Those of us who never sleep, and who heard it yet still got up early for work, are probably as cockeyed as I am about now.

They named a best 22. Were very positive about 2015. All have us just below Syd, Haw and Port, and a real top four threat. All agreed that once in there anything's possible but that we'd need to bridge the gap on the other three to achieve ultimate success. They reckon we have depth in almost all areas but, after last year's long term injuries to Wells and Spitter et al, we'd need things to go smoother in that area this year. They see Waite and Higgins as very talented additions and added that if we can get 15-16 of Waite's good games we'll be very tough to stop, considering the depth of genuine goal kickers we already have. They expect he can pump out 30-40 goals, which takes the load off Dish, and that not only does our forward line have a wealth of similarly capable forwards but we also now have a goal kicking midfield, with Cunners, Wellsy, Higgins and Jack thrown in.

Tarrant, or whoever, will need to establish themselves at CHB, and we'll need Loogie up and running.

They went through our record over top sides, and interstate, which has all improved, but stressed that in the heat of finals we were found wanting against Sydney and that's the leap we have to make to improve.

As expected it was a very thorough examination of our list and expectations from an outsider's POV.

They had much more to say of course, and Mooney was full of praise for where we're at. "Right in the mix, with the perfect age profile (in response to a comment on our ageing list of stars) and depth n all areas to make a serious play at a flag over the next few years, particularly the next couple".

Not sure how big a gap there is to bridge between us and Port, coming up to the three year anniversary of our last loss to them. Obviously we didn't look to be in the same class as them in the finals series but at the season end both teams finished on sixteen wins.

Hoping they whack a podcast up somewhere mate. Those of us who never sleep, and who heard it yet still got up early for work, are probably as cockeyed as I am about now.

They named a best 22. Were very positive about 2015. All have us just below Syd, Haw and Port, and a real top four threat. All agreed that once in there anything's possible but that we'd need to bridge the gap on the other three to achieve ultimate success. They reckon we have depth in almost all areas but, after last year's long term injuries to Wells and Spitter et al, we'd need things to go smoother in that area this year. They see Waite and Higgins as very talented additions and added that if we can get 15-16 of Waite's good games we'll be very tough to stop, considering the depth of genuine goal kickers we already have. They expect he can pump out 30-40 goals, which takes the load off Dish, and that not only does our forward line have a wealth of similarly capable forwards but we also now have a goal kicking midfield, with Cunners, Wellsy, Higgins and Jack thrown in.

Tarrant, or whoever, will need to establish themselves at CHB, and we'll need Loogie up and running.

They went through our record over top sides, and interstate, which has all improved, but stressed that in the heat of finals we were found wanting against Sydney and that's the leap we have to make to improve.

As expected it was a very thorough examination of our list and expectations from an outsider's POV.

They had much more to say of course, and Mooney was full of praise for where we're at. "Right in the mix, with the perfect age profile (in response to a comment on our ageing list of stars) and depth n all areas to make a serious play at a flag over the next few years, particularly the next couple".

Thanks TT for the great summary. Sounds like it was worth missing some sleep for. I'll keep an eye out for the podcast. Go get yourself a double espresso!

Not sure how big a gap there is to bridge between us and Port, coming up to the three year anniversary of our last loss to them. Obviously we didn't look to be in the same class as them in the finals series but at the season end both teams finished on sixteen wins.
The gap is based on the back of the two prelim performances, nothing more. It shows how much of a goldfish attitude permeates the AFL media spectrum. Personally I would be reasonably confident going up against them at any time.

And we outran the fittest team in the comp:stern look

The gap is based on the back of the two prelim performances, nothing more. Personally I would be reasonably confident going up against them at any time.
They become insufferable on bf, worse than hawk posters.

Thanks for wrap up. Excellent work and think pretty much spot on.

I'll remember to stay up all night to hear your advice in future Twinkletoes :p;)

I've sent them a message via twatface, asking for a podcast. Whether or not they can provide one is another matter though. I hope so. It was a good 30-40 minute chat on all things North in 2015.

Personally I call bullshit as to Port suddenly being mentioned in the same breath as the Hawks and Sydney. The Hawks took their foot off the pedal in the prelim (although nearly got dacked as a result). And I feel we had spent most of our tickets on the previous 2 games, so don't read as much into the Sydney loss as others. I reckon Port are going to get worked over a bit this year as clubs try to close down their running game and with Monfries and Ryder no-starters, they will have that setback too. No doubt clubs will be doing the same with North, but I feel we actually have more scope for improvement than they do.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I actually texted the show and made those exact points. The explanation they gave was that Port 'looked better than North' last year. :confused:

Yeah I actually texted the show and made those exact points. The explanation they gave was that Port 'looked better than North' last year. :confused:

I heard that. Something like "there are facts, figures and results to help make a comparison between sides and then there's the eye test, basing an assessment on what you've observed, and to my eye Port looked better than North."

I heard that. Something like "there are facts, figures and results to help make a comparison between sides and then there's the eye test, basing an assessment on what you've observed, and to my eye Port looked better than North."
Yeah I thought it was a pretty weak response. My eye test told me that we beat more top 8 (and top 4) teams than Port. ;)

Overall though I agreed with most of the Preview.

Last edited:
Port had a good year in 2014 no question. But they did finish 5th. We had a reasonable to good year in my book and finished 6th. Both clubs did well in finals, although Port had more impressive results. The thing that is being forgotten is that Freo and Geelong finished in the top 4 but bombed in the finals. While I actually think the Cats are genuinely on the slide now, I think Freo is still in the picture. All in all, Hawks and the Cola Swans are the 2 powers, with North, Port, and Freo nipping at their heels, then the next bunch, which would include the sliding Cats, the rising Suns, and I suspect a resurgent Crows.

That's fair enough. Although, to my eye after their poor start to the year Sydney looked better than Hawthorn too... Didn't help them much in the end.

That's fair enough. Although, to my eye after their poor start to the year Sydney looked better than Hawthorn too... Didn't help them much in the end.
Or when we outrun the supposed most fittest team in the comp in port. All square at the start in my opinion.

Personally I call bullshit as to Port suddenly being mentioned in the same breath as the Hawks and Sydney. The Hawks took their foot off the pedal in the prelim (although nearly got dacked as a result). And I feel we had spent most of our tickets on the previous 2 games, so don't read as much into the Sydney loss as others. I reckon Port are going to get worked over a bit this year as clubs try to close down their running game and with Monfries and Ryder no-starters, they will have that setback too. No doubt clubs will be doing the same with North, but I feel we actually have more scope for improvement than they do.

I think the Geelong game was the one that flattened us and in particular the last quarter. Looking back I think if we had have more or less maintained our three quarter time margin, we would have gone in the following week against Sydney with a very different mental attitude. in my opinion that last quarter drained the mental application out of the team, because we came so close to losing a game we should never have even been threatened in. Without that impact my view is that the players would have immediately focussed on, "okay Sydney here we come" whereas instead I think they were probably thinking "s*** we were lucky to escape with a win against the Cats".

I think the Geelong game was the one that flattened us and in particular the last quarter. Looking back I think if we had have more or less maintained our three quarter time margin, we would have gone in the following week against Sydney with a very different mental attitude. in my opinion that last quarter drained the mental application out of the team, because we came so close to losing a game we should never have even been threatened in. Without that impact my view is that the players would have immediately focussed on, "okay Sydney here we come" whereas instead I think they were probably thinking "s*** we were lucky to escape with a win against the Cats".

That doesn't sound correct Horace. Why? North started well against the Swans.. the tempo was where it needed to be but the composure and experience across the ground (with the weeks rest) is what really made the difference. It's a four quarter game that needs all opportunities taken and Brad Scott noted in the post-game that he instructed players to PLAY to win and not worry about softening the margin (at the three quarter time address). I doubt the players are thinking negative or even reflecting on what happened the previous week… once you're in that pre-game team meeting, anything that happened previous MEANS ZERO/ doesn't enter the mindset.

Played 2 tough finals games in a row. Sydney were just a bridge too far

There's a reason sides that don't finish top 4 don't win the flag. Whether its the semis or the GF..sooner or later the extra effort catches up to you

That doesn't sound correct Horace. Why? North started well against the Swans.. the tempo was where it needed to be but the composure and experience across the ground (with the weeks rest) is what really made the difference. It's a four quarter game that needs all opportunities taken and Brad Scott noted in the post-game that he instructed players to PLAY to win and not worry about softening the margin (at the three quarter time address). I doubt the players are thinking negative or even reflecting on what happened the previous week… once you're in that pre-game team meeting, anything that happened previous MEANS ZERO/ doesn't enter the mindset.

Well I see things differently and I'm sticking with my theory.

Is there a podcast for this anywhere? I need a way to procrastinate whilst studying but I'm too lazy to find it myself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back