2015 Memberships

Remove this Banner Ad

bluekidjoe

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I just emailed the membership email, don't know if anyone will read it, but here's what it said:

As a blues fan since my eyes could recognise the colour navy I have loved this club. As I type this I'm wearing my Carlton SnapBack Cap.
I am a 27 year-old who grew up as a child loving watching Kouta, SOS, Braddles and Sticks tearing it apart, then the dark times hit and the fabric was torn.
Although now we have an altered rebuilding culture and hardly anything remains from even the Pratt/Swann/Ratten era, there is still a hangover. An entrenched expectation of failure that fans and media hold.

Break this entrenched expectation and you'll break the membership drought.

Of course it will be remedied through on-field success, however with Richmond's membership as an example, on-field success isn't the be-all-end-all.

Firstly, cheaper prices are needed to get people into the habit of signing up. Once numbers are at a better amount then edge the prices back up.

Second, the club need to let the personalities of their players show. Where's Carlton's Nathan Grima, Jonno Brown, Dane Swan, Dyson Heppel, Jake the push up King???
Murph is good fun internally perhaps, but you need a personality that people relate with outside who can have a laugh with people. A Zach Tuohy-type larrikin!
5 in 5 would be appealing if the greater base of supporters actually knew who Michael Jamison and Sam Rowe were! No offense to them, members love them, but we have not had the on-field success to use these guys as marketing tools!
Focus less on bringing the internal leadership out, instead create a new marketing focus on players who have a natural ability to engage with fans and don't take themselves so seriously! Daisy, Tuohy, Buckley etc. You want their positivity to become infectious!

Third, as a student, I feel like it's all geared towards the cashed up adults and the families. Apart from the concession price while studying, where's my engagement and what's the appeal for me???
- Why is there no affordable teenage/early 20s based season launch function???
- Where are Carlton at the Uni open days with discounts for sign up and comps with prizes?- Where is an early-20s focus??
That early 20s sign up turns into early 30s family sign up in a decade, so to not attack that demographic harder is ridiculous!!!

Further, my dad would sign up but $95 for a three match membership is silly when people can buy tickets at the gate for $18. $18 x 3 = $54. As a busy man this in-between option is perfect but he doesn't know about it and I don't mention it because his response will be the financial equation I mentioned above.

MAKE IT FUN!!!
FOCUS ON NUMBERS FIRST, CASH SECOND! (Cash will take care of itself when numbers start coming through!).
ENGAGE THE PUBLIC WITH NATURAL PERSONALITIES!

I love this club and will sign up till I drop, but seriously start getting it together because if we fall from being a top four club I'll never forgive us.

Tiger71

?????? King of the Micro ??????
Sep 22, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
On field success is what we need, we expect it, fair weather supporters jump on and off

A few years ago, i was shopping around for a new energy supplier, one company was offering a Richmond membership for any new customers to switch....

Is this what we have to do? Pet memberships? A couple of hens in the yard I could sign up..

Sorry for the intrusion guys but I just wanted to answer this bit. Let me help you out Blue http://membership.carltonfc.com.au/packages/view/187/Pet_Membership

I am sure they will allow you to sign up your hens :p

On a serious note, my wife and her family are all blues, they have been members for years but stopped being members 3 years ago. i asked them last night why they stopped and they said the club no longer gives a s**t about us....imo that's the biggest reason you guys have the issues now. The club needs to engage your supporters in a meaningful way.

Sorry for the intrusion guys but I just wanted to answer this bit. Let me help you out Blue http://membership.carltonfc.com.au/packages/view/187/Pet_Membership

I am sure they will allow you to sign up your hens :p

On a serious note, my wife and her family are all blues, they have been members for years but stopped being members 3 years ago. i asked them last night why they stopped and they said the club no longer gives a s**t about us....imo that's the biggest reason you guys have the issues now. The club needs to engage your supporters in a meaningful way.

Don't worry they're already members, as is the guipnea pig, rabbit, budgie and goldfish

No doubt our club needs to engage with its supporters more, sorry that your wife & family haven't signed up, tell her the club does give a s**t, tell em to get a 3 gamer, get back on board. The club are aware they have mishandled members in the past but things are on the change.

Oh by the way didn't change power comapnies, go shove ya bribery I told them

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
We are but a revenue stream.

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
Just got a letter from the club today. It has a membership card in it, and all i have to do is login, pay some money and activate it.

Positive strategy by the club IMO, and should lead to some conversions in the coming days.

BlueTongue

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2009
The Void
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
TEAM 17 (Flags)
I just emailed the membership email, don't know if anyone will read it, but here's what it said:

As a blues fan since my eyes could recognise the colour navy I have loved this club. As I type this I'm wearing my Carlton SnapBack Cap.
I am a 27 year-old who grew up as a child loving watching Kouta, SOS, Braddles and Sticks tearing it apart, then the dark times hit and the fabric was torn.
Although now we have an altered rebuilding culture and hardly anything remains from even the Pratt/Swann/Ratten era, there is still a hangover. An entrenched expectation of failure that fans and media hold.

Break this entrenched expectation and you'll break the membership drought.

Of course it will be remedied through on-field success, however with Richmond's membership as an example, on-field success isn't the be-all-end-all.

Firstly, cheaper prices are needed to get people into the habit of signing up. Once numbers are at a better amount then edge the prices back up.

Second, the club need to let the personalities of their players show. Where's Carlton's Nathan Grima, Jonno Brown, Dane Swan, Dyson Heppel, Jake the push up King???
Murph is good fun internally perhaps, but you need a personality that people relate with outside who can have a laugh with people. A Zach Tuohy-type larrikin!
5 in 5 would be appealing if the greater base of supporters actually knew who Michael Jamison and Sam Rowe were! No offense to them, members love them, but we have not had the on-field success to use these guys as marketing tools!
Focus less on bringing the internal leadership out, instead create a new marketing focus on players who have a natural ability to engage with fans and don't take themselves so seriously! Daisy, Tuohy, Buckley etc. You want their positivity to become infectious!

Third, as a student, I feel like it's all geared towards the cashed up adults and the families. Apart from the concession price while studying, where's my engagement and what's the appeal for me???
- Why is there no affordable teenage/early 20s based season launch function???
- Where are Carlton at the Uni open days with discounts for sign up and comps with prizes?- Where is an early-20s focus??
That early 20s sign up turns into early 30s family sign up in a decade, so to not attack that demographic harder is ridiculous!!!

Further, my dad would sign up but $95 for a three match membership is silly when people can buy tickets at the gate for $18. $18 x 3 = $54. As a busy man this in-between option is perfect but he doesn't know about it and I don't mention it because his response will be the financial equation I mentioned above.

MAKE IT FUN!!!
FOCUS ON NUMBERS FIRST, CASH SECOND! (Cash will take care of itself when numbers start coming through!).
ENGAGE THE PUBLIC WITH NATURAL PERSONALITIES!

I love this club and will sign up till I drop, but seriously start getting it together because if we fall from being a top four club I'll never forgive us.
:thumbsu: Spot on !! Now tweet it and FB it!!

I'd probably add the option (at a slightly reduced cost) of either having a social club membership, or all the cheap Chinese made rubbish they send in the membership packs, but not both. Personally I don't want any of that rubbish, I'd rather the club put the money towards better marketing. But some members have kids and can choose that as well. The point is, Stop wasting money on Rubbish and offer some incentives to buy a membership!!

Bongo Drum

Premium Gold
Aug 27, 2011
down the rabbit hole
AFL Club
Carlton
I wonder if the club ever contacted the 3000 members that did NOT renew in 2014 to ask why they didn't- for me, that would be the obvious place to start. Better to hear straight from the horse's mouth to understand the reasons for not renewing. And it wouldn't even be that hard cos you can use email/sms/phone call.

It wouldn't surprise me if they hadn't even thought to do that.

And how about setting up a contact form on the cfc website specifically dedicated to receiving feedback on membership matters. That way you have visibility of membership issues experienced by blues fans, identify trends in membership pain points, gain a conduit for recommendations/improvements, can set priorities on membership complaints (expedite fixing the ones easily resolved and develop long term strategies/improvements for those that aren't) etc.

The Club is flying blind and has no idea what is causing the issue - in this modern age, where there are so many ways to communicate with your members/customers to gain insight, that's just not good enough!!

Laurence

Team Captain
Mar 26, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
On field success will generate membership growth :)
I'm 27, and this year is my 20th consecutive year as a member. I love the club, and always will.

I'm sure there are plenty of others just like me who feel the pain and disappointment when we lose, and feel the pride when we win.

I will continue to renew my membership as long as I can. I imagine an additional 15k supporters will be on board once the club starts to win consistently and continue to improve.

Funk

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 6, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
We are but a revenue stream.

Too true s_v

The club has somehow managed to get my mobile number.

However the only time in the last 10 years I have heard from them?

to call me numerous times and ask me to buy a $1000 raffle ticket!!!!

Sadly this tells you all you need to know about their concept of "fan engagement"

NB - have been a member for 25 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just got a letter from the club today. It has a membership card in it, and all i have to do is login, pay some money and activate it.

Positive strategy by the club IMO, and should lead to some conversions in the coming days.
Interesting. Least it's something a bit different.

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/spo...game-on-membership-drive-20150305-13wd6i.html

As they try to reconnect with a troubling number of disaffected fans while reconstructing internally, Carlton have significantly bolstered their membership team and are offering price reductions of up to 50 per cent on 2016 member packages.

For the first time, the Blues this week have also launched a buy-three-games-get-one-free membership deal, in a bid to add to a tally that new CEO Steven Trigg has said "should be well north of where it is at the moment".

Trigg has stressed the problems with membership are a "whole-of-club issue". He said the AFL was no longer directly assisting Carlton "for now".

The Blues, who missed their membership target of 50,000 by about 2000 last year, have now partly outsourced some of their membership operations. Trigg said that would remain the case "on a short-term basis before we reset internally".

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
^^^^^^^^^^^

For the first time, the Blues this week have also launched a buy-three-games-get-one-free membership deal, in a bid to add to a tally that new CEO Steven Trigg has said "should be well north of where it is at the moment".

Sounds like this could be a goer but I really feel for anyone who already has a 3 game M/ship and misses out on an additional game for free.

It would be a nice gesture if they would honour an additional free game to ALL 3 game Members who purchased/renewed M/ships prior to the new 3 game launch.

http://membership.carltonfc.com.au/packages/view/173/3_Game_Membership

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds like this could be a goer but I really feel for anyone who already has a 3 game M/ship and misses out on an additional game for free.

It would be a nice gesture if they would honour an additional free game to ALL 3 game Members who purchased/renewed M/ships prior to the new 3 game launch.

http://membership.carltonfc.com.au/packages/view/173/3_Game_Membership

My thoughts too when I first read that, nothing pisses people off worse than when they do the right thing and pay early only to find the price or package gets altered and is more beneficial to the late-comers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back