Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 23, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
I think that's debateable.

Who are the 'star' players currently on the Eagles roster? It's a roster full of holes. You've got a couple of good OL pieces and that's about it. Your pass rush, your secondary, your receivers and your HB are, at present, sub-par.

Washington at the time had guys like Orakpo and Kerrigan and Trent Williams, but similarly were a roster full of gaps.

And $48 million in cap space. How much did Washington have?

I don't think OBJ is God tier let alone two players who under performed in comparison.

And I think Matthews is talented but further off than Evans by a mile.
I was saying that having them as your WRs would be god tier, not rating them individually.

If you had both of them as WRs within two years they are probably the best WR duo going around

just a minor factor often overlooked here, esp by those who see the Shady trade a zero sum gain for both, when a cool $9mil jumped back into the Iggles kitty
Not really when all it's doing is pushing value back. Alonso is going to demand a lot in two years time on the market. And if he doesn't you aren't getting the value you think you're getting.

you are missing what McCoy really might have been worth to the Eagles moving forward.
Not really. McCoy would have offered more on field now, ie costs more now. You're pushing value back is all, especially if you did collate a team with names like Mariota, Evans, Matthews as well.

The team is rebuilding, it'll just take a lot of finessing to make sure things align money wise when it matters. Not saying the Eagles can't do it, just saying the team is cycling issues now to then.

Overall why I don't think the 9mil is worth a tonne. Exceedingly useful but why I don't think it pushes value too much against McCoy.

And $48 million in cap space. How much did Washington have?
Yeah that is the big diffence. Still, getting your secondary on the FA is quite risky.

I just think removing your drafting options for three years for a system QB is reckless.

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
Not really. McCoy would have offered more on field now, ie costs more now. You're pushing value back is all, especially if you did collate a team with names like Mariota, Evans, Matthews as well.

The team is rebuilding, it'll just take a lot of finessing to make sure things align money wise when it matters. Not saying the Eagles can't do it, just saying the team is cycling issues now to then.

Overall why I don't think the 9mil is worth a tonne. Exceedingly useful but why I don't think it pushes value too much against McCoy.

fair enough, each will determine their own way of looking at these things, in a perfect (duck) world Shady would have been back for a few more years at near his best & provide value to the team, but given that scenario realistically borders on a pipe dream, I see the trade & savings as a win.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Eagles can trade picks into 2018 draft, once the 2015 draft opens
Posted by Mike Florio on March 4, 2015, 10:37 PM EST
mariota.jpg
Getty Images
With Eagles coach Chip Kelly further putting his imprint upon the Eagles while also subtly twisting the team’s beak into a duckbill, the notion that he’ll try to trade up from No. 20 in the draft to secure the player he see as the surest of sure things becomes stronger. But there’s an important thing to remember regarding the potential all-in-and-then-some effort to slide up into the top five, the top two, or all the way to No. 1.

There’s a limit to how many picks the Eagles can trade.

According the the league office, trades conducted before the draft begins can include draft picks in 2015, 2016, and 2017. Once the draft starts (i.e., the moment the Commissioner declares the draft to be open and places the team with the first pick on the clock), trades can include picks from 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018.

With the Eagles having a long way to go to get in position to select quarterback Marcus Mariota, the message is clear: Waiting until the draft commences provides even more flexibility.

It’s unclear what it would take to get the Eagles from No. 20 to wherever they’d need to go to reunite Kelly with Mariota. Three years ago, Washington gave up the sixth pick, a 2013 first-rounder, a 2014 first-rounder, and a 2012 second-rounder to move up only four spots for quarterback Robert Griffin III. If a fourth first-round pick is necessary to get the Eagles where they need to be, they can throw the 2018 selection onto the pile, if they wait until the draft begins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I recall can't see where this picture is going to fit in the grand scheme of AE memes but ya just never know when the talk/ thinking bubbles make an appearance which will implicate certain individuals… btw LD looks like he just doesn't wanna be there… even though he has a mike on his suit..

Latest on LD: upcoming new project: Fish In the Dark

Yeah that is the big diffence. Still, getting your secondary on the FA is quite risky.

I just think removing your drafting options for three years for a system QB is reckless.

It's not reckless, it's fn stupid.

Kelly seems to me like a kid with a new toy... "Look what I can do!"...

The McCoy trade is still questionable, I think he could've done better. Yeah, future blah blah blah. I think the rest of the league values Shady higher than Chip does, and if Chip was a little more open-minded he could've got a 2nd-day draft pick.

That being said, Chip was never going to use him to his full potential, so its good to get something, even if its a bit risky. Alonso needs to produce big time for this to be a win.

As for the trade, I think its BS. As I said, noone could be that stupid. Even two years of draft picks is too much to give up. Maybe for guaranteed Rodgers type, but Mariota is not. He's not even consensus #1, nowhere near a messiah.

IF chip feels the need to get MM, wait till he gets drafted, and see what you need to give up. What if he happens to fall? IF 3yrs of draft picks is true, every team will jump at it pre or post-drafting MM.

Jun 23, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
It's not reckless, it's fn stupid.

Kelly seems to me like a kid with a new toy... "Look what I can do!"...

The McCoy trade is still questionable, I think he could've done better. Yeah, future blah blah blah. I think the rest of the league values Shady higher than Chip does, and if Chip was a little more open-minded he could've got a 2nd-day draft pick.

That being said, Chip was never going to use him to his full potential, so its good to get something, even if its a bit risky. Alonso needs to produce big time for this to be a win.

As for the trade, I think its BS. As I said, noone could be that stupid. Even two years of draft picks is too much to give up. Maybe for guaranteed Rodgers type, but Mariota is not. He's not even consensus #1, nowhere near a messiah.

IF chip feels the need to get MM, wait till he gets drafted, and see what you need to give up. What if he happens to fall? IF 3yrs of draft picks is true, every team will jump at it pre or post-drafting MM.

Another person completely discounting the $8.5 million in cap space the trade also opens up. That needs to be included in any analysis of the trade. So wait and see who Kelly signs with that extra money first.

Another person completely discounting the $8.5 million in cap space the trade also opens up. That needs to be included in any analysis of the trade. So wait and see who Kelly signs with that extra money first.

Yes but it's not as if the Eagles were hard up against the salary cap. This trade, from all reports, took you from 39mil cap space to 46mil cap space.

So we're not "completely discounting it"... we just don't think it's really a factor when in the grand scheme of things it doesn't make a difference. It's not going to really be the difference between signing someone or not.

Number One 49er hater and killer Darnell Dockett has gone all Benedict Arnold on the Cards.

Expect Brookes to be traded/cut now.

If Justin Smith returns, Dockett is even a shadow of his former self, Willis, Bowman and Dorsey are over their injuries and Aldon Smith behaves, well the 49ers are a long way from done.

Jun 23, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Yes but it's not as if the Eagles were hard up against the salary cap. This trade, from all reports, took you from 39mil cap space to 46mil cap space.

So we're not "completely discounting it"... we just don't think it's really a factor when in the grand scheme of things it doesn't make a difference. It's not going to really be the difference between signing someone or not.

Weird argument. Do they have an extra $8.5 million now or not? That's massive in free agency. They can sign McCourty with that and address a huge need at safety.

Its not a huge factor, no.

It's 20-30% of a signing bonus for a good to excellent player, so 1-2yrs in that eqation.

Maybe 1 year of a deal...

In the grand scheme of things, it's nothing.

Jun 23, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Its not a huge factor, no.

It's 20-30% of a signing bonus for a good to excellent player, so 1-2yrs in that eqation.

Maybe 1 year of a deal...

In the grand scheme of things, it's nothing.

If they go out and sign McCourty they have addressed two huge needs and have a loaded RB draft class to find a (cheap) replacement for McCoy. They have got rid of an expensive depreciating asset for a cheap appreciating one. I think too many people are taking a short term view. McCoy now has arguably the worst run blocking line at Buffalo and we will get to see how good he really is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back