Let's talk Ports!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I'll always be grateful to my grandfather for taking me to see Cus Seaby versing [sic] Hen Doyle in the middle of the G"

- Carob Dillingsley
Peppermint Grove, WA
27 September 2041​

West Coast's motto in the noughties

6da082fbfafcf593d64799e9da4e11b4df2899b7459116a78e650d8b377a421f.jpg

05/06 were such open years.

Brisbane 01-04, Port 02-04, Geelong 07-13, Collingwood 10-11, Sydney 12-14 and Hawthorn 12-14 would've coasted home blindfolded.
Sometimes timing and luck has played/plays too much of a part in deciding important historical moments in football.

Which is essentially what Geelong did in 07. Man, that team was a breath of fresh air.

They were 2-3 coming off a loss to North at Kardinia Park prior to strolling into Etihad to take on the hapless Tigers.

Talk about a Big Bang. Created a whole new footy universe.

They were 2-3 coming off a loss to North at Kardinia Park prior to strolling into Etihad to take on the hapless Tigers.

Talk about a Big Bang. Created a whole new footy universe.
That will stay with me forever. Has anything like that happened before? Not in my lifetime.

Richmond created a monster. From then on it was 12 goal wollopings for everyone in the Cats' path. Until Cassisi to win it... of course.

2005 was probably more disappointing than 2002 or 2003 looking back on it. We didn't have the QF loss, but if we'd put together anything approaching our best footy we could have won the flag quite easily. Awful year.

2005 was probably more disappointing than 2002 or 2003 looking back on it. We didn't have the QF loss, but if we'd put together anything approaching our best footy we could have won the flag quite easily. Awful year.

Preemass.

Do this day crows fans insist Cousins was "on something" after half time in the Prelim. Glass houses and all that...

Hahaha!

His 2nd half was something else. Personal life aside, his gut running was as good as it gets. Gun footballer.

This.

Goal accuracy aside, Tredrea had an even better year than 2004, in a schitzophrenic team that had fractured off the field and rarely showed any cohesion on it.

And even then we managed to scrape into finals, annihilate our bogey side away from home in week one and kept up with the Minor Premiers until halftime of week two, when we were blown away amidst more self-inflicted wounds - "we have the best forward in the competition, coming off a best on ground the week before, but he hasn't been able to have an impact in what's been a low-scoring arm wrestle... let's move him to the wing!".

I'm telling you. If the board hadn't chosen the middle of a premiership window to gut the football department and old mate Primus had've been put in his place, there's no reason we couldn't have gone back to back. Talentwise we were still has stacked as anyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2014 was more wasted than 2005 imo.
definitely. 2005 we struggled and was never a real chance for the flag, 2014 our footy was easilly good enough to take it out, half way through we were a game and percentage clear on top yet a couple of injuries (which all sides get) and we fell right away to even miss out on the top 4. come finals time we again showed how good we were but inaccurate kicking cost us a spot in the gf. was easilly a bigger missed opportunity last year.

05/06 were such open years.

Brisbane 01-04, Port 02-04, Geelong 07-13, Collingwood 10-11, Sydney 12-14 and Hawthorn 12-14 would've coasted home blindfolded.

Blame St Kilda, it should've been their years after 2004.

Really was a bit of filler in an otherwise strong decade full of strong teams.

Port is the best backed team to win this year's flag.

Maybe David King knows something.
Let me remind you that David King tipped Sydney to win last year's grand final by 68 points. When he's right, it's often a fluke :)

Mind you, I hope he's right about Port.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back