Preview AFL NAB Challenge 2 - Geelong v Adelaide, Simonds Stadium, 7:10PM Thursday 12 March

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relax TG its called irony, sorry I didn't do a good enough job of making that clear.

I was simply pointing out that even at his best his laconic style has been the knock on AM, and wanted to do it in good humour.

You're on the wrong board 4qc…..

Whats the latest on Stanley?

Got to admit I'm keen to see him running around in the hoops.
As far as we know he'll be pressing for selection by NAB 3 in a bid to gain a spot in the team for round 1.

I doubt that we'll see him lining up in this game, but who knows?! :)

Anyone got a long range humidity forecast?? :p
Will this Radar do? He's in Korea, is that a long enough range for you? :D

mash-radar.jpg

Not at all. But I'm starting to see some merit in replying in pictorial form to pointless posts rather than bothering to engage in discussion. Maybe JUBJUB is onto something...
:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That has always been the criticism of Mackie though so I don't buy it. Even when he was AA, people were still commenting on his seemingly 'laconic' style.

It might be true that Mackie has lost the fire in his belly, but I doubt it. My guess is that it just seems that way to armchair critics and keyboard warriors.
What a weird post. A lot of people think it's his weakness and always has so therefore you don't buy it? If fewer people thought it was a weakness would you change your mind then? The argument may be true but it may not? Hmmmm. Weird.

What a weird post. A lot of people think it's his weakness and always has so therefore you don't buy it? If fewer people thought it was a weakness would you change your mind then? The argument may be true but it may not? Hmmmm. Weird.
I've always thought that Mackie likes to appear 'cool' but, when the heat is on, he fires up OK. He always looks pretty interested in what's going on when he's racing up towards the 50 to slot those long-range goals. Perhaps 4quarter_cat is indicating that it's just a front and that, even in his AA year, he looked and played in a similar way to what he does now.... maybe?

I've always thought that Mackie likes to appear 'cool' but, when the heat is on, he fires up OK. He always looks pretty interested in what's going on when he's racing up towards the 50 to slot those long-range goals. Perhaps 4quarter_cat is indicating that it's just a front and that, even in his AA year, he looked and played in a similar way to what he does now.... maybe?

Maybe. I always thought the criticism of him back in the 2010 days was horrible turnovers in defence and not going hard at contests in the air.

Over the past year it seems the main criticism is that he has stopped playing with any intensity whether the ball is on the ground or in the air. We also rarely see him sprinting forward to get on the end of those long bomb goals that became a weekly occurrence when he was playing well. He seems to have stopped caring about the extra effort and is just coasting.

Although I may be wrong, that may of been a criticism people had of him in the past as well. But even if it was a criticism in the past, doesn't mean its not a valid criticism, in fact it makes more so.

I'm going to choose to take that as a complement Seeds.

The whole point is that if he is lazy or disinterested then he has been that way his entire career, even when he was in career best All Australian form in 2013.

So it seems strange to me to continue to harp on about his weakness, if indeed it is one and not just a perception.

I mean nobody goes around criticising Hawkins for his low clearance numbers. Or the fact that he clearly doesn't have as bigger tank as Selwood.

I'd rather just monitor his output and if others are doing more then they get a game ahead of him.

You know the whole results being more important than perceptions thing.

Maybe. I always thought the criticism of him back in the 2010 days was horrible turnovers in defence and not going hard at contests in the air.

Over the past year it seems the main criticism is that he has stopped playing with any intensity whether the ball is on the ground or in the air. We also rarely see him sprinting forward to get on the end of those long bomb goals that became a weekly occurrence when he was playing well. He seems to have stopped caring about the extra effort and is just coasting.

Although I may be wrong, that may of been a criticism people had of him in the past as well. But even if it was a criticism in the past, doesn't mean its not a valid criticism, in fact it makes more so.
I can't remember the reasons for the criticism, Seeds, you could be correct- but I do recall people talking about how he never looks like he's making an effort. I can see what 4quarter_cat is getting at, as it is true that his style of play and his basic demeanour didn't appear to change in his AA year. These days we are making excuses for turnovers in defence and blaming them on the way the ball enters our defensive half. I'd have to go back and watch some 2010 games to work out what the problem was with Mackie- I doubt it was the same as the reason for 2014 turnovers- but instead of doing that, I'm happy to wait for comments from others more learned than I and those with better memories (includes the whole Cats BF fraternity ;)).

The other issue of the lack of long bomb goals would be a reflection of the poor condition that Mackie, along with all of our other players, was in last year*. He'd have been battling to sprint to the centre late in a quarter, so had no hope of making it near the F50. I'm hoping for an improvement across the board, as a result of our change of fitness staff. Fingers crossed for a return to those long bomb goals while on the run- Mackie, Duncan, Murdoch- there are quite a few players capable of kicking them.

*I still think it was something in the half-time orange juice ;)

Mackie is an AA and triple premiership player who is clearly undervalued by many of our supporters.
I have no doubt he was hampered by an injury last year, likely spinal related, but that is purely my own conclusion, no inside knowledge here.
I take issue that some think he is nearly cooked. It will happen, but he is still way too valuable for such discussion to be taken seriously. This player could easily have gone back to SA but has been totally committed to Geelong and still is. Let's revisit in 12 months.

Mackie is an AA and triple premiership player who is clearly undervalued by many of our supporters.
I have no doubt he was hampered by an injury last year, likely spinal related, but that is purely my own conclusion, no inside knowledge here.
I take issue that some think he is nearly cooked. It will happen, but he is still way too valuable for such discussion to be taken seriously. This player could easily have gone back to SA but has been totally committed to Geelong and still is. Let's revisit in 12 months.

My memory of him is that plays well in bigger games his marking in that 09 GF etc, his lackadaisical style while it may make him look disinterested or slack , may also make him cool in a crisis. He has frustrated me at times , the way he kicks it can be error prone when he is "off". My issue with players like him is they seem to be icing rather than the cake. Varcoe was similar in my eyes , and until the last two years Stokes as well. If we are going to play him at 30 , he must be like Lonergan and be a key player. Is he that? Have to say when im looking at the backline that I think needs youth , speed etc and we have Lonergan , Taylor , Rivers , Enright..... having Mackie in there makes it hard to bring in a Kolo. I guess Im saying he starts , as he is in our best side but he is certainly one who the first 6-8 weeks is very important.

I can see some decline, but not as pronounced as others. There's others I'm worried about far more than Mackie.

I can see some decline, but not as pronounced as others. There's others I'm worried about far more than Mackie.
Ditto.

Mackie's style has always grated supporters. They have always wanted him to go about it differently to his natural way.

He would have to fall quite a distance this season to be passed by the next rung of mid-sized defenders. If it happens we will be worse for it.

Ditto.

Mackie's style has always grated supporters. They have always wanted him to go about it differently to his natural way.

He would have to fall quite a distance this season to be passed by the next rung of mid-sized defenders. If it happens we will be worse for it.

Ah yes, players who aren't puffing their chest out, and/or exuberantly bumping into people (I believe the term is 'bash and crash') apparently don't care enough. It hasn't stopped Mackie being a very, very good player for us for a decade. Also a crucial component in three premiership teams. I've certainly been critical of him at times (and I thought his dropping in 2010 was quite justified), but overall you can't be anything but rapt with what he's given us.

Ah yes, players who aren't puffing their chest out, and/or exuberantly bumping into people (I believe the term is 'bash and crash') apparently don't care enough. It hasn't stopped Mackie being a very, very good player for us for a decade. Also a crucial component in three premiership teams. I've certainly been critical of him at times (and I thought his dropping in 2010 was quite justified), but overall you can't be anything but rapt with what he's given us.
Spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back