Rookie Draft pick 27 - Keenan Ramsey

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like I'm getting boxed into a corner here over what I think is a perfectly reasonable and academically well-supported comment. I like Keenan and want him to succeed. He reminds me of a young Tex. I just don't think we'll ever see his full potential with his relatively important disability given his chosen profession. I should probably leave it at that, but instead....

OK boys, roll up, roll up for the armchair expert fight of the night!

Fighting out of the red corner we have the bleeding heart, penguin-avatared champion for the disabled. With a background in elite sports coaching and telling losers they can make it if they just try harder: OutofTownCrow.

Fighting out of the blue corner we have the unempathetic challenger sporting a gallbladder plushie. More heartless than Hitler; more negative than Nancy! He specializes in telling everyone he meets that they will never amount to anything or overcome any adversities no matter how hard they try: woopedazz

A point for OutofTownCrow will be scored each time Keenan is listed in the best players, and/or is rated in the top 10 Crows in Supercoach. An additional x amount of points for each Brownlow vote he receives at the end of the year (where x = number of votes).

A point for woopedazz will be scored for every game where he is named in the bottom 10 players for the Crows in Supercoach or does not get selected.

Winner is the person with the most points when Keenan retires.
It's the only logical conclusion to come to.

The loser has to buy the winner a Crows Jumper with Keenans retiring number on it to wear to all games for eternity.

Given the median games played is about 30, anything over that and he's done better than 50% of those drafted, let alone those off the rookie list.

If we put gunston into the psd, no jj, kerridge or grigg!

2011 was a very sound offseason for us.

Gaining Brown, Crouch, Kerridge, Grigg, Jenkins and Lynch.

The only trade we got no benefit from was losing pick 35 as part of the Johnston for Armstrong trade. There were some decent players in that mid 30's spots - Newnes, Curren and Talia in particular.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two eyes are over rated, they mostly cover the same area twice, he covers for depth perception by subconsciously tilting his head, a learned skill that could potentially give him better depth perception than the average person as he is able to tilt his head more than the distance between two eyes. Obviously if an adult was to lose their eye they would be majorly disadvantaged because they had learnt to live with two. Keenan learnt to live with one. His loss of peripheral vision is also much less than 2 eyed people would presume.
When you cover one eye you lose half of your vision, but there is a simple exercise you can do to see it's not as bad as this. Most of our vision is blocked by our nose and that's why when you cover one eye you can't see much from the blocked side.

1. Sit still in a well-lit room and note the objects you see at the edge of your peripheral vision, on both sides.
  2. Block your right eye.
  3. Slowly look to your right until in your peripheral vision you can just see the objects that were at the edge of your peripheral vision with 2 eyes.
  4. Keeping your head still and locked in place look to the left to see what is now in the edge of your peripheral vision on the left side.
  5. you will see you have lost a lot less of your peripheral vision than you would expect, because as you turn your head, your nose blocks less of your vision.
This is what Keenan has learned to do, he doesn't look things straight on, he generally looks at them with his good eye-centered and looking forward. He has his good eye in the same position as a two eyed person's nose bridge would be if they were looking at the same object.

And remember that everyone has a different level of peripheral vision, some people can see almost 160deg others can only see 90deg

Last edited:
2011 was a very sound offseason for us.

Gaining Brown, Crouch, Kerridge, Grigg, Jenkins and Lynch.

The only trade we got no benefit from was losing pick 35 as part of the Johnston for Armstrong trade. There were some decent players in that mid 30's spots - Newnes, Curren and Talia in particular.
damn... Newnes would have been great for us.

I've seen a lot of players in the past, and present, who have made me question whether they have eyes or peripheral vision. So far I can't say the same for Ramsey.

Hey, what about that time Reilly took three bounces and picked out that guy in the crowd? That was good vision.

Two eyes are over rated, they mostly cover the same area twice, he covers for depth perception by subconsciously tilting his head, a learned skill that could potentially give him better depth perception than the average person as he is able to tilt his head more than the distance between two eyes. Obviously if an adult was to lose their eye they would be majorly disadvantaged because they had learnt to live with two. Keenan learnt to live with one. His loss of peripheral vision is also much less than 2 eyed people would presume.
When you cover one eye you lose half of your vision, but there is a simple exercise you can do to see it's not as bad as this. Most of our vision is blocked by our nose and that's why when you cover one eye you can't see much from the blocked side.

1. Sit still in a well-lit room and note the objects you see at the edge of your peripheral vision, on both sides.
  2. Block your right eye.
  3. Slowly look to your right until in your peripheral vision you can just see the objects that were at the edge of your peripheral vision with 2 eyes.
  4. Keeping your head still and locked in place look to the left to see what is now in the edge of your peripheral vision on the left side.
  5. you will see you have lost a lot less of your peripheral vision than you would expect, because as you turn your head, your nose blocks less of your vision.
This is what Keenan has learned to do, he doesn't look things straight on, he generally looks at them with his good eye-centered and looking forward. He has his good eye in the same position as a two eyed person's nose bridge would be if they were looking at the same object.

And remember that everyone has a different level of peripheral vision, some people can see almost 160deg others can only see 90deg

Doc Larkins in the house.

Well my background is Elite Sports Coaching - I have coached athletes internationally including at the Commonwealth Games and top level sportsmen from Golfers to Tennis Players, and I can tell you - you are wrong about genetics determining the ceiling.

As far as the papers supporting your position on Keenan's one eye being a known disadvantage ... you cannot generalise or look at the "norm". He is unique, his development to this point has been unique.

Look, not trying to put you in your place too hard here, just that if I had every athlete that doesn't make it ... lined up against the ones do - you would see the difference can only be in-between the ears. And the higher up the sports mountain you climb, the less it is about the physical and the more it becomes about your belief, trust and inner skills.

And as a general rule ... I'll take 10 guys that have had to fight for every inch over one that has it covered his entire life. When things get bad, you know which one that will stand up and keep standing up. Taking things for granted can be one of the biggest hurdles for top-level athletes to overcome.

I'll try hard to leave it there, but unfortunately you hit one of my nerves :)

So you don't think genetics has any play in Psychology?

I don't disagree with anything else that you've said, so much of any sport is played between the ears, however to say that genetics only affects the physical attributes is wrong.

He's got that priceless quality, poise. I'll take poise over peripheral vision any day of the week.

Hasn't it been well documented in draft profiles that Ramsey uses his head more than most footballers because of his condition, and that's what helped him succeed to the level he has so far.

He actually turns his head to compensate for the lack of vision and that supposedly makes him have better vision/awareness than most.

Last edited:
Hasn't it been well documented in draft profiles that Ramsay uses his head more than most footballers because of his condition, and that's what helped him succeed to the level he has so far.

He actually turns his head to compensate for the lack of vision and that supposedly makes him have better vision/awareness than most.
Tilts his head reminds me of swans full back Rod Carter.

So you don't think genetics has any play in Psychology?

I don't disagree with anything else that you've said, so much of any sport is played between the ears, however to say that genetics only affects the physical attributes is wrong.

That's not what I said at all, as is taking my post way out of context.

If you want to discuss behavioural genetics and it's influence on potential sporting ability, that is a different discussion altogether.

We are talking about the physical attribute of having one eye since you were two setting the performance ceiling lower than someone with two eyes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back