NXT Discussion Thread (On FOX8, Kayo and Binge)

Remove this Banner Ad

Crowe needs to go back to this attire
BkBE-heCcAA4eNi.jpg

I thought todays was a weird episode - it wasn't bad per se... it just felt like everything leading up to the main event was filler.

That said, for someone who is universally panned on commentary by smarks (who are the same people that go to NXT shows), Riley was friggen over as a babyface! Of course, the problem is that as soon as he steps into a ring with Owens, he'll be met with apathy again.

The main event was the weakest of the major (ie. non-bullshit tag) matches that Sasha and Charlotte have had - but it was still very good, and miles ahead of what we'd see on the main roster. I love Sasha, but she can be very hit and miss in the ring.

Other than that? Dempsey sucks. Corbin sucks. The Solomon Crowe character sucks. Even the promo with Enzo and Cass sucked - it sounded like they exist to protect and look after Carmella. She's the tag along, and nobody likes her. They don't exist to protect and promote her!

The other tiny little thing that I liked? I hate dubstep, I haven't liked Blake & Murphy's entrance to this point - but holy s**t it makes a difference when they themselves really engage with their entrance. Today was really the first time I've seen them "get into it", and it makes them and the entrance look much better. I wish they had a better tag team finisher though. A vertical suplex into a frog splash aint gunna cut it. Especially for Murphy, cos it means he'll never get a pin fall.

I have to agree, this episode just felt weird. I thought Breeze was great at the start, and I guess Adam Rose is a face still in NXT. Alexa Bliss is not good on the mic, but I guess she's only going to improve with practice. I also agree that I really felt into BAM's entrance. Shoot Nation is going to be very impressive I reckon. Wesley Blake's frog splash was pretty damn good, I thought he was going for a flying headbutt going that far across the ring. I really want to see the champs get more offence in their matches though. I liked Emma's talk with Bayley.

Corbin had potential, but he's just done the same thing since he debuted and now he's s**t. I don't care about his presence or anything, skipped that match. The only reason I'm looking forward to seeing Riley wrestle again is to hear his theme, but the NXT champ has nothing better than to have a feud with Alex Riley? Not a big fan of that. I enjoyed Zayn's promo, not too sure what direction he'll go when he gets back (I forgot the spoilers) so I'm pretty interested. Not looking forward to Riley vs CJ Parker. You know if CJ Parker is involved, someone is returning or making their debut.

Crowe was very underwhelming. Crowe desperately needs new attire, new hair, new finisher and maybe even a new theme. That finisher is cool for just a signature move during a match every now and then, but awful as a finisher. That finisher should be called the fellatio splash. Dempsey is still s**t. The main event was pretty good, but not their best match together. Roll up pin is kind of a meh finish, but I can handle it since Sasha had her feet on the ropes.

Also on Enzo and Cass, their promo was pretty bad for them.

The other tiny little thing that I liked? I hate dubstep, I haven't liked Blake & Murphy's entrance to this point - but holy s**t it makes a difference when they themselves really engage with their entrance. Today was really the first time I've seen them "get into it", and it makes them and the entrance look much better.

That's their standard entrance, I've never seen them not do that. I agree about the tag team finisher though.

Watching now, up to shoot nation v dubstep cowboys. Dawkins is old skool and I like it, but Fulton's earmuffs/mohawk combo is ridiculous

That's their standard entrance, I've never seen them not do that. I agree about the tag team finisher though.

Watching now, up to shoot nation v dubstep cowboys. Dawkins is old skool and I like it, but Fulton's earmuffs/mohawk combo is ridiculous

It was more to do with the head banging, the 'stunt moves' on the stage and that kind of thing.

I'm interested to see whether they do anything with this 'Shoot Nation' thing. You're right - Fulton looked beyond stupid (I'm taking your word for it that his name was Fulton!)

And Dawkins? Well, maybe it's just because he's in the land of the light heavyweight - but he looked HUGE.

Not looking forward to Riley vs CJ Parker. You know if CJ Parker is involved, someone is returning or making their debut.

You know, it took Parker turning into a jobber for me to start liking him!

For his first couple of months when they were treating him seriously, I loathed this guy - he had no charisma in or out of the ring (though he tried hard), he was terrible on the mike, and he didn't really have a gimmick.

Now? I don't think it's even so much to do with Parker himself - I just yearn for the days of the jobber to put talent over.

If this NXT talent were on Raw, there would be no CJ Parker jobber character. Let's take Owens - he would've debuted against someone like Breeze. Owens would've won. Then Breeze would've got some heat back by beating Zayn. But because Owens had turned heel and attacked Zayn by then, leading to their feud, Zayn would've had to have gotten his win back against Breeze. So then Breeze would've beaten someone like Hideo. Then Hideo would've been Breeze to get the win back. Split them apart, and then Breeze is trading wins with, lets say Solomon Crowe, while Hideo is trading wins with, let's say Bull Dempsey. In this situation, Breeze, Zayn, Hideo and Crowe have all won a match, and they've all lost a match (except Breeze who loses 2).

And that's how you end up with a card where nobody is over, and everybody is a midcarder - cos everyone wins, everyone loses, and eventually it all ends up meaning nothing.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe the return of the identifiable jobber (eg. Brooklyn Brawler) is the saving grace of wrestling. In fact, it's not even the biggest problem I have with wrestling today.

But I do think that if we take an identifiable jobber like CJ Parker who has a name, and who might lose 10 matches in a row... Well, that means there are 10 guys who get a win without having to 'give it back', and you avoid this situation where everyone is in midcard purgatory.

It was more to do with the head banging, the 'stunt moves' on the stage and that kind of thing.

I'm interested to see whether they do anything with this 'Shoot Nation' thing. You're right - Fulton looked beyond stupid (I'm taking your word for it that his name was Fulton!)

And Dawkins? Well, maybe it's just because he's in the land of the light heavyweight - but he looked HUGE.

yeah the leapfrogging is part of their standard entrance everytime i've seen them, anyway, not important.

They've tried a few different looks with Fulton and none have really stuck, but he does have legit college wrestling experience so this might suit him.

Dawkins is apparently 6'5/280, so yeah, a genuinely big dude

You know, it took Parker turning into a jobber for me to start liking him!

For his first couple of months when they were treating him seriously, I loathed this guy - he had no charisma in or out of the ring (though he tried hard), he was terrible on the mike, and he didn't really have a gimmick.

Now? I don't think it's even so much to do with Parker himself - I just yearn for the days of the jobber to put talent over.

If this NXT talent were on Raw, there would be no CJ Parker jobber character. Let's take Owens - he would've debuted against someone like Breeze. Owens would've won. Then Breeze would've got some heat back by beating Zayn. But because Owens had turned heel and attacked Zayn by then, leading to their feud, Zayn would've had to have gotten his win back against Breeze. So then Breeze would've beaten someone like Hideo. Then Hideo would've been Breeze to get the win back. Split them apart, and then Breeze is trading wins with, lets say Solomon Crowe, while Hideo is trading wins with, let's say Bull Dempsey. In this situation, Breeze, Zayn, Hideo and Crowe have all won a match, and they've all lost a match (except Breeze who loses 2).

And that's how you end up with a card where nobody is over, and everybody is a midcarder - cos everyone wins, everyone loses, and eventually it all ends up meaning nothing.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe the return of the identifiable jobber (eg. Brooklyn Brawler) is the saving grace of wrestling. In fact, it's not even the biggest problem I have with wrestling today.

But I do think that if we take an identifiable jobber like CJ Parker who has a name, and who might lose 10 matches in a row... Well, that means there are 10 guys who get a win without having to 'give it back', and you avoid this situation where everyone is in midcard purgatory.
I certainly agree, the proper jobber is something missing from wrestling these days. It's just that Parker is only pulled out for matches when someone is returning or debuting now and I'm just not a fan of it. Let him job to some guys who are actually on the NXT roster and have been for a while and I'll be fine with it. It's a really, really minor problem but it just annoys me a little bit every time.

Back to jobbers though, one of my favourite parts of NXT is that there are so many jobbers for them to use! You don't want all the talent going up against each other and producing classic matches every week because then those matches are no longer classic matches, just normal. Blue Pants and CJ Parker are great jobbers and I thoroughly respect them both even though they may never be on top of the card.

I think I saw an article possibly by Meltzer that was on WWE and the end of main eventers like John Cena. It was about how WWE will just become a roster of midcarders and you've reminded me that I should get around to reading that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meltzer saying Uhaa Nation is on his way to NXT soon!
What's the Democratic People's Republic of Uhaa doing in Full Sail!

Seriously though, if Uhaa and Joe are going to NXT that place is just going to get even better. Can't wait until MOOSE makes his way there.

What's the Democratic People's Republic of Uhaa doing in Full Sail!

Seriously though, if Uhaa and Joe are going to NXT that place is just going to get even better. Can't wait until MOOSE makes his way there.

I think this "what's Mysterious Ray doing in the Impact Zone" is one of the most infuriating, overdone wrestling schticks on the internet...

... but I genuinely popped for that Uhaa Nation one :D

It's another interesting signing I reckon. In the post-steroid era they're really struggling to find 6 foot 4 guys who are durable enough to wrestle (as we've seen from Khali and even Big Show, you don't even have to be a good worker - just durable enough to keep going.)

Are these 6 foot (or less) guys who happen to be really "thick" the future of this company? Because Dempsey isn't a monster, and he's a little chubby - but muscle-wise, he's very thick. The bigger guy from the Ascension isn't big, he's just thick. Watching NXT today, I thought the same thing about Solomon Crowe.

And having seen bits and pieces of Uhaa Nation, I really think he's going to look similar in NXT. He's not tall enough to be a "big guy" - but he's very thick, which stands out and makes these guys look like semi-freaks who are overcompensating for a lack of height.

(Watching Solomon Crowe makes me think of what Ric Flair must've looked like in wrestling school at 280 pounds, and reminds me a little bit of how CM Punk looked in OVW when he was trying to get huge.)

I just checked how tall Uhaa is and it turns out he's only like 6 foot tall, I thought he was taller for some reason.

As much as I love the junior heavyweights and their amazing matches, the big guys add a real sense of wonder and "real-ness" that the smaller guys just can't do. I bring up Moose a bit because he's the only big guy I've seen outside of WWE and he's 6ft 5 and about 300 pounds. He's still pretty green but he's damn athletic and I hope he goes far. Shawne Merriman was under contract with WWE at some point and he's bigger, but he left for some reason. I was so hopeful for Baron Corbin and held out on him for to be good for so long because he's the biggest guy I've seen join WWE in a while.

It was an ok episode this week. Adam Rose seemingly being a face is stupid as *. I actually really like the Rose character, and think they could do plenty with it as a heel. But they ruined him on the main roster.
Breeze is still great.
I quite liked the Riley segments. Can't see him being successful on the main roster or anything, but that was good stuff.
Chuckled at "let's go Lesnar" chants for that Tony Briggs guy.
Tag match was decent I guess. Was pretty impressed with Blake's frog splash. Didn't think he was going to make the distance.
I still hate Bull Dempsey.
Solomon Crowe has a terrible, terrible look. His attire sucks so bad, and makes him look tubby from the midsection down.
Sasha vs Charlotte was pretty good. Like nobby said, probably one of their weaker matches, but still good.

It was an ok episode this week. Adam Rose seemingly being a face is stupid as ****. I actually really like the Rose character, and think they could do plenty with it as a heel. But they ruined him on the main roster.
Breeze is still great.
I quite liked the Riley segments. Can't see him being successful on the main roster or anything, but that was good stuff.
Chuckled at "let's go Lesnar" chants for that Tony Briggs guy.
Tag match was decent I guess. Was pretty impressed with Blake's frog splash. Didn't think he was going to make the distance.
I still hate Bull Dempsey.
Solomon Crowe has a terrible, terrible look. His attire sucks so bad, and makes him look tubby from the midsection down.
Sasha vs Charlotte was pretty good. Like nobby said, probably one of their weaker matches, but still good.
Agree re: Crowe. The whole character feels disjointed. I really like the hacker intro but then the music and the attire just don't sit with it either.

As for his headbutt it is a cool signature spot but a terrible finisher. Lacks any real impact.

Hoping it will work better when he is not working with Dempsey.

Also looks like the date is set for balor vs Owens for 25th March. Excited but I smell a dodgy finish coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"There is currently a "significant" amount of talent on the RoH roster that the WWE is interested in as they are more open about signing smaller, fast-paced wrestlers and want to start expanding NXT into a Nationally touring group and to do so they need bigger names."
From the Observer.

I really hope they don't go overboard with signing Indy talent. There's only so many spots on the roster and the industry is just starting to get back to the stage where there's a strong pool of talent at a local level. I think WWE need to be mindful of leaving enough talent at that level so the next generation of Bryans/Zayns/Owens have enough guys around them to bring them up to that level.

Apparently there was a "Create a wrestler" chant for Fulton. Pretty funny.

That Observer quote kind of confirms what I've been starting to think since HHH said last year that he wanted NXT to be a third touring brand - it's no longer purely developmental, and being signed by WWE and competing at NXT should not be viewed as 'the path to Raw.'

I can really see someone like Samoa Joe, who's out of shape and mid-30s now not having a prayer of making it to the main roster. But they'll sign him because he's over with an NXT audience that will turn up at the touring show.

That Observer quote kind of confirms what I've been starting to think since HHH said last year that he wanted NXT to be a third touring brand - it's no longer purely developmental, and being signed by WWE and competing at NXT should not be viewed as 'the path to Raw.'

I can really see someone like Samoa Joe, who's out of shape and mid-30s now not having a prayer of making it to the main roster. But they'll sign him because he's over with an NXT audience that will turn up at the touring show.

Yep he's acknowledged they have a different demographic and cater for them. He's at least aware there is still a mature audience out there that wants a no frills show which NXT provides.

I really do hope they still compete in smaller arenas though, if they lose that intimate setting that you get with NXT they've obviously lose a lot of atmosphere.

Yep he's acknowledged they have a different demographic and cater for them. He's at least aware there is still a mature audience out there that wants a no frills show which NXT provides.

I really do hope they still compete in smaller arenas though, if they lose that intimate setting that you get with NXT they've obviously lose a lot of atmosphere.

Obviously none of us could know the details, but I wouldn't expect to see them running 10k+ venues - as you say, they're aware of the audience that follows NXT, but the booking on Raw clearly indicates they don't believe the 'smark audience' is significant in number.

I hope they stick to venues no bigger than 2000-3000.

I doubt they'd come to Australia - as a few indy promoters showed us almost 10 years ago, you can't hope to make a profit coming all this way for a few thousand people. That said, I went to the netball centre near Melbourne Zoo about 10 years ago, and it'd be such a perfect venue; in Sydney, I reckon the Horden Pavillion would almost work. I've only been there once, and I was messed up on multiple substances at the time - but I seem to remember thinking "this would be an awesome wrestling venue!".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back