Game Day NAB Challenge 1 Dockers VS Dees - Freo Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

My biggest worry is Mayne. He just did not have a meaningful impact, and his goal should have been a point. De Boer just didn't impress me, his disposal was extremely poor.

Tabs looks like he is coming on for us, and Apeness looks like he needs more time in the WAFL

Mayne is clearly the new Col around here, but thought he was far from worst on. Only watched on TV but thought:

Ballas - barely sighted after first quarter, but he'll come good
Sheridan - Just doesn't take the game on enough for someone with his talent/fitness
Clarke - barely sighted
Griff - ditto
Apeness - ditto. We can't play 3 talls with him, Tabs & Pav. They don't clunk enough marks and the ball will come out way too easy. Better off with 2 talls and Mayne as 3rd IMHO.

Skills were awful with the boys spraying it everywhere, but first scratchie so meh.

I'll run through my thoughts on a few that I kept an eye on today. Wasn't too worried about the game, just wanted to see how individual players looked - after all we lost by 84 points to a really crap side last NAB cup.

MacPharlin - Looked great, what can you say about him? When he is fit he is still one of the best.

Silvagni - Thought he was tough and hard at the ball all day. Did not look out of place and will be a great fallback if any of Dawson, Macca or Johnson are injured (or rested).

Sutcliffe - Really composed and delivery is first class. Did not think he ran as hard out of the backline as usual but that may have been under instruction as we seemed to lack run all day.

Clancee - Did not impress me at all, thought he was fumbly and ducked his head on a couple of occasions. Hopefully better for the run but not best 22 for mine.

DeBoer - Same as Clancee without the head ducks - did not really impact and seems to lack composure at times. Will struggle to get game time.

Clarke and Griff - I have lumped them in together as I thought neither of them really did much. Beaten in the ruck and also did little around the ground. I strongly suspect Clarke was told to go easy as he seemed reluctant to engage physically in the ruck. Not terrible, but shows how good Sandi is.

Mundy - Thought he was composed and hit targets without really stamping himself on the game. Not worried as I am sure he has another gear for the real stuff.

Hill - Sublime skills, looks stronger through the core and I think he will be a superstar this year. Played at half pace most of the game and still made mere mortals look slow.

Barlow - Didn't think he was at his best today. Did not win many clearances and didn't seem to run to space as much as usual. Again, may have been under instructions and is a thoroughbred so not too worried.

Walters - Looks back to something like his best. Do not want to see him in the midfield. He is such a damaging forward and looked lost in the middle, why mess with perfection?

Ballas - Not sure what the story was. At times he ratcheted up the pressure and did some great things, but hardly got involved most of the game. I suspect he was under instructions not to go too hard as he has a habit of injuring himself.

Little Lachie Neale - Fast becoming one of my favourites. It was noticeable when he was in the centre square our clearance work was at its best. I think he is now our second best in and under mid after Fyfie.

Johnno - Looked rusty at times but his class is always on show. Will be better for the run.

Crozier - Getting better all the time and I think this might be his breakout year. He is a great tackler and always dangerous around goals. Looking forward to his progression.

Suban - Did not impress me today. Did a few good things, but there were times when he was lost in space and not influencing the contest at all. He frustrates me because he shows glimplses, but to my mind not nearly consistent enough over four quarters.

Tabener - Ran all day, presented well and took a couple of good mark. He is progressing really well and will make a great foil for Pav - or Apeness if he comes good.

Apeness - Speaking of which, I thought he was very average. Dees not seem to get to nearly enough contests and I haven't yet seen him take a strong grab in three outings. I see potential but little else at this stage.

Pav - Sublime. Monstered all day and still looked a class above any other forward on the park. Looks set for a good year, aprticularly if Tabener takes a forward up the field and out of his space. Excited!

Duffield - Thought he was good without being outstanding. Looked a nasty injury, hope it is not too serious.

Sheridan - Thought he was average. For some reason he just seems bog average to me. I feel like sticking a rocket up him because when he runs in space he looks great, just doesn't seem to do it enough.

Edit - Forgot Chris Mayne. I am really worried about Chopper. He seems lost, neither comfortable back nor forward. I thought one of the strengths of Ross Lyon when he took over Freo was that he gave everyone a clear role and stopped all the chopping and changing. Would hate to see Mayne go from a good second / third forward to a poor swingman, which is what he look like at the moment.

I have probably missed a heap, if anyone wants to ask about a particular player I'm happy to give my thoughts.

Sorry for the random order, just put them down as I thought of them

Last edited:
Best on ground was the sea breeze that made a game in Fremantle the highlight of the year so far. Really nice atmosphere, I keep meaning to get to more WAFL games, maybe i'll get around to it this year.

Taberner has to play most games this year. It's time to let him develop at this level.

Lachie Neale has great hands in congestion. A few times in tight he squeezed handballs through that broke us out into the open, great to watch. Even with that ridiculous hair.

From my view on the TV, Clarke did really well in the ruck while Griffin struggled a bit.
Deboer was good in the close contests, but drifted out of it in open play.
Subans kicking was great but he gets caught too much with the ball trying to break tackles.
Sherifan was okay on the wing and was playing D.Pearces role. Good link up play in a few passages.

Mayne is clearly the new Col around here.
Not even close.

He lacks clean execution, and has probably done so since the start of 2014. Tonight seemed to snatch at the ball, and his handballs in the forward line lacked creativity, which they have done for a while (so often going to a guy flat footed and under pressure).

Best on ground was the sea breeze that made a game in Fremantle the highlight of the year so far. Really nice atmosphere, I keep meaning to get to more WAFL games, maybe i'll get around to it this year.

Taberner has to play most games this year. It's time to let him develop at this level.

Lachie Neale has great hands in congestion. A few times in tight he squeezed handballs through that broke us out into the open, great to watch. Even with that ridiculous hair.

I think he pretty much locked himself in to the first team late last year. Didn´t he play the last 10 games straight or something including a few breakout performances. Quiet in the finals but was apparently carrying an injury.

He is most likely the breakout player this year. If he can play that roaming half forward, dragging one of the key defenders up the ground and away from Pav, plus getting a few goals a game and numerous I50´s, then we will be the better team for it.

Certainly in the Reiwoldt mold, although perhaps not the pack crashing mark like Nick. That said, Reiwoldt only takes a pack crashing mark perhaps once every game, so if he can do everything else that Reiwoldt does - gut running leads, marks, a few goals etc, then we have a good one.

Really pleased for Silvagni. He continues to grow in confidence and looks solid, reliable and comfortable down back. Good old fashioned loyalty isn't enough to get you a guernsey these days by itself, but I'm wrapped that a guy that has hung in there is finally getting an opportunity and looking good for it. He's obviously respected amongst the group per recognition as the best clubman last year and IIRC, someone out of the club mentioned that his peers wanted Alex to receive more opportunities.

One thing that stood out for me today was related to Barlow. At the intra club game I was concerned that the new top he was wearing was actually the correct size for him. I worried that this would affect his performance in the season proper. Today I was pleased to see that he was back to wearing tops that are two sizes too small for him.
That was a highlight for me from today's NAB clash.

Not even close.

He lacks clean execution, and has probably done so since the start of 2014. Tonight seemed to snatch at the ball, and his handballs in the forward line lacked creativity, which they have done for a while (so often going to a guy flat footed and under pressure).

Sounds like you are describing someone playing a preseason scratchie, his hands were no worse than most, apart from a few of the jets(hill, sonny, pav, sutty,etc). Thought his impact was similar to Croz. Confident that Mayne will have a good year, better than last where he carried an injury thru the pre/beginning of the season.

I think some people were watching a different game than I was .
Clogged got it right but some of the other posters must have rose coloured glasses on .
Sheridan was terrible today and needs a kick up the ass . He got caught out of position and failed to chase when Melbourne had the ball .
De Boer worked hard but his disposal and decision under pressure are not AFL standard . Barlow gets the ball but his disposal by hand and foot have not improved enough .
The midfield got thrashed in the clearance count . Clarke for most of the day was out positioned out muscled at the bounce ups and his tap work was terrible . Griffin has improved on last year but still has a long way to go to get back into the form he was in before the ACL .

I am so fed up with players handballing to a team mate 1 metre away that is flat footed , with an opponent standing next to them .
Kirk is our midfield coach and he still hasn't got our clearances fixed .
So many times Melbourne had players with 20 meters of space between them and their opponent .

Now I don't mind posters singing the praises about players and the team but please we had passengers today and our structures aren't the best based on this game . We need the second string players to step up to the mark pretty quick .
For mine Stephen Hill was the star and Taberner a very close second . Mundy and Neale were all class . Sutcliffe and Clancee were right up there .
Walters is not a midfielder yet but I think his true value is in the forward line .
If anyone of our ruckmen are going forward Griffin is my choice but only until Apeness is ready .

For those blowing Croziers trumpet ,yes he did some good work today but he needs to improve in getting into the right positions to receive the ball at the stoppages . Too many times he was getting drawn in to the contest instead of getting into space to receive the ball . When he learns that he will be extremely dangerous .
ie : like Sydney and Hawthorn the midfield spreads from the stoppage with a chain of quick handballs and the player of the end of the chain of hand passes has space and time to run or deliver a lace out pass to the leading forwards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clogged got it right but some of the other posters must have rose coloured glasses on .
Sheridan was terrible today and needs a kick up the ass . He got caught out of position and failed to chase when Melbourne had the ball .
De Boer worked hard but his disposal and decision under pressure are not AFL standard . Barlow gets the ball but his disposal by hand and foot have not improved enough .
The midfield got thrashed in the clearance count . Clarke for most of the day was out positioned out muscled at the bounce ups and his tap work was terrible . Griffin has improved on last year but still has a long way to go to get back into the form he was in before the ACL .

I am so fed up with players handballing to a team mate 1 metre away that is flat footed , with an opponent standing next to them .
So many times Melbourne had players with 20 meters of space between them and their opponent .

Now I don't mind posters singing the praises about players and the team but please we had passengers today and our structures aren't the best based on this game . We need the second string players to step up to the mark pretty quick .
For mine Stephen Hill was the star and Taberner a very close second . Mundy and Neale were all class . Sutcliffe and Clancee were right up there .
Walters is not a midfielder yet but I think his true value is in the forward line .
If anyone of our ruckmen are going forward Griffin is my choice but only until Apeness is ready .

For those blowing Croziers trumpet ,yes he did some good work today but he needs to improve in getting into the right positions to receive the ball at the stoppages . Too many times he was getting drawn in to the contest instead of getting into space to receive the ball . When he learns that he will be extremely dangerous .
ie : like Sydney and Hawthorn the midfield spreads from the stoppage with a chain of quick handballs and the player of the end of the chain of hand passes has space and time to run or deliver a lace out pass to the leading forwards
Oh good, so I'm not the only one going mad!

Any bets to who the 1st meltdown will come;from when Melbourne beat us?

no i think most people are just happy to watch freo play a game of actual footy and realise that its still only pre season.

if i remember correctly we got belted last pre season and as per usual people were crying that we were going to be rubbish and the season was over before it had even started.

just relax and wait until the actual real games start.

im surprised we even won, these games mean nothing and it would be hard for players to bring perfect execution when in the back of their minds they know they dont have to go all out.

Last edited:
I agree with Coulda that the clearances were horrible. We were getting smashed in the middle late last year even with Sandi and I'd like to see us turn things around. No doubt we have talented mids but unless they can get it out or nullify it, their presence at stoppages is wasted

Mayne is clearly the new Col around here, but thought he was far from worst on. Only watched on TV but thought:

The thing about Mayne is that he's touted to be either be playing as tall (mid) forward or a tall (mid) back. The other options in those positions (Taberner and Silvagni) played great games today. Mayne did nothing. Where do you slot him in? He's not a midfielder. I can't see a spot for either him or De Boer based on today.

Duffield's injury just ribs according to RTB
Well Duffield being sore ribs is bullshit. You don't cradle your arm for sore ribs. That is a collarbone or shoulder.
So do I - but that doesn't make sense after seeing the incident. Doesn't make sense why RTB would bullshit about it either, so I tend to believe him.

Took another look at this. With 10.51 left on the clock in the last quarter, Dufield takes a dive in their goal square. It's the one they replayed after the game but little contact there except his elbow hitting the ground. A minute later at 9.49, Duffield is chasing on the wing and pulls up short wincing in pain clutching at his left mid rift. There is no contact - appears to be a muscular issue in his rib cage. Unlikely he'd go for a chase if he injured himself a minute before in the square as he can hardly walk after he grabs for it. May have aggravated a knock to the area from earlier on but it looks very innocuous when he pulls up and he doesn't reach for the shoulder or collarbone.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are describing someone playing a preseason scratchie, his hands were no worse than most, apart from a few of the jets(hill, sonny, pav, sutty,etc). Thought his impact was similar to Croz. Confident that Mayne will have a good year, better than last where he carried an injury thru the pre/beginning of the season.
I am describing how Mayne played last year. I expected evidence of improvement from his ordinary 2014. I didn't see any.

I thought Mayne was poor last #Seppo, looked well out of sorts. Not to say he won't come good, but I'd love to see him settled into one role or the other so he can.

Sat on the concrete under the fig trees for most of the match. A few observations -

McPharlin must have found the fountain of youth. Looked superb today.
Hogan is definitely a must have for us.
Taberner looked exceptional today. Also appeared to be throwing his weight around.
Silvagni solid.
Johnson definitely will be better for the run.
Sutcliffe just sublime. Starting to remind me of Bluey McKenna with his precise ball use.
Definite lack of pressure by us. Let Melbourne have far too much midfield space.
Pavlich looking set for a great year if managed properly.
Walters is just Walters. What more can I say.
Umpires cruelled the game I thought. (In the last quarter saw one umpire blow "time off" but both teams just ignored him as did the other umpires - he's probably waiting now in the dark to blow time on).
Did I mention Sutcliffe and his attacking runs up the ground - LOVE IT!.

Undoubtely there are comments to be made on all the team members but I"ll leave that to other observers.

Does that include hitting the behind post from a kick in? :p Bound to appear multiple times on any "bloopers" segment

(Actually I love Sutty, so not taking the 9115 or being aggro!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back