No Oppo Supporters Re-signing Tex, Danger and Sloane *** Crows Only ***

Your thoughts on Dangerfield?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we can offer JC 8m over 7 years (good) a year out, and a bunch of superstars have signed a year out, and we're expected to believe its perfectly normal not to be discussing terms with danger?

Something doesn't feel right there.

I think the fact that they were offering JC $1mil per year is why they aren't in discussions with Danger. Now JC has knocked back the offer I expect them to start talks with Danger and finish off Sloane's deal before round 1.

Of course it's bullshit. Monfries was as close to being delisted as dougie.
Yes, he was shopped by his managers to the SA teams becuase his stocks were sooooo high at Essendon.

Look ultimately I don't care what either of you wish to believe but the fact remains he wasn't targeted, which was the discussion we were having.

Impressive work from the Giants. As soon as a week ago there was talk that a huge number of their uncontracted players would walk away at season's end.
Now....3 major players (Davis, Jezza and Smith) who were all big chances of leaving, locked up within 3 days. Got to give them credit. Something has changed there since trade period.
AFL would be relieved He's hitched his wagons to say the least.

If you think monfries was about to be delisted, then... You must be thinking of someone else. He was a very solid 2nd tier free agent signing. 400k x 4 years.
He was told he wouldn't be first 22 material.

Look that maybe a long way from delisting material but for me it says Essendon weren't fussed.

He was told he wouldn't be first 22 material.

Look that maybe a long way from delisting material but for me it says Essendon weren't fussed.

Stop. Just stop.

You don't sign a player to a 4 year contract if you don't think they are first 22 material*

*closest we have come is signing Tambling to 3 years.

I won't need to post if you don't say stupid things.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...in-deal-for-bombers-power-20121008-278jo.html

Essendon offered Monfries a further 2 year deal. In the 7 years preceding his trade - Monfries played at least 17 games for the bombers every year.

Port offered Monfries a 4 year deal.

We aren't talking about Kyle Cheney here.
Poor Kyle.

I didn't say stupid things, Monfries wasn't high on Essendons priorities, he was shopped and Port took advantage, which was the premise of my initial discussion and the one we were having.

There are reasons players like Monfries arte offered 2 year deals and it wasn't because Essendon were desperate to keep him.

I won't need to post if you don't say stupid things.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...in-deal-for-bombers-power-20121008-278jo.html

Essendon offered Monfries a further 2 year deal. In the 7 years preceding his trade - Monfries played at least 17 games for the bombers every year.

Port offered Monfries a 4 year deal.

We aren't talking about Kyle Cheney here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor Kyle.

I didn't say stupid things, Monfries wasn't high on Essendons priorities, he was shopped and Port took advantage, which was the premise of my initial discussion and the one we were having.

There are reasons players like Monfries arte offered 2 year deals and it wasn't because Essendon were desperate to keep him.

You might not rate Monfries - thats fine. But in no world was he not valued by either Port or Essendon. He was automatically best 22 in both of those sides.

He wasn't shopped at all. He was a free agent at the end of 2012. Essendon wanted to keep him considering he had been a big part of their best 22 for the past 7 years. Port lured him away offering him a much more secure and lucrative deal, combined with the fact he was an Adelaide boy.

You may have gotten a little thrown off by his worth because he was traded for Pick 48. The only reason he was traded was that a trade would work out to be more beneficial to both Essendon and Port than Monfries leaving through free agency. Essendon wouldn't be able to claim any AFL compensation for Monfries leaving as they had already committed to picking up Goddard as a free agent. A 3rd round pick was an added bonus. Port were willing to give up a 3rd round pick, because by doing so they would receive (IIRC) pick 29 for the departing Pearce.

You might not rate Monfries - thats fine. But in no world was he not valued by either Port or Essendon. He was automatically best 22 in both of those sides.

He wasn't shopped at all. He was a free agent at the end of 2012. Essendon wanted to keep him considering he had been a big part of their best 22 for the past 7 years. Port lured him away offering him a much more secure and lucrative deal, combined with the fact he was an Adelaide boy.

You may have gotten a little thrown off by his worth because he was traded for Pick 48. The only reason he was traded was that a trade would work out to be more beneficial to both Essendon and Port than Monfries leaving through free agency. Essendon wouldn't be able to claim any AFL compensation for Monfries leaving as they had already committed to picking up Goddard as a free agent. A 3rd round pick was an added bonus. Port were willing to give up a 3rd round pick, because by doing so they would receive (IIRC) pick 29 for the departing Pearce.
Look that is a superb hindsight analysis that you have put together and bravo to you.

But in simple terms Monfries didn't see a future at the Dons for good reason, his management approached both SA clubs Port pounced, Crows didn't.

Yes I didn't rate Monfries, still don't really, but he has been good for Port.

But that doesn't change the fact that Port didn't aggressively target Monfries, but that isn't in any way taking credit away from them for pouncing.

Look that is a superb hindsight analysis that you have put together and bravo to you.

But in simple terms Monfries didn't see a future at the Dons for good reason, his management approached both SA clubs Port pounced, Crows didn't.

Yes I didn't rate Monfries, still don't really, but he has been good for Port.

But that doesn't change the fact that Port didn't aggressively target Monfries, but that isn't in any way taking credit away from them for pouncing.

I wouldn't call it hindsight. I would call them facts that show you are completely wrong.

Last edited:
As everyone is well aware, im not much of a PAP fan..., but you do have to give their recruiting team some big props. They targeted the players they wanted, and they got them. They even managed to change Ryder and his GFs mind about going to a Qld club. On the other hand we havent been so good in that area.

Yes, he was shopped by his managers to the SA teams becuase his stocks were sooooo high at Essendon.

Look ultimately I don't care what either of you wish to believe but the fact remains he wasn't targeted, which was the discussion we were having.

What do you mean he wasn't targeted? He was a freaking free agent signing.

It doesn't get more targeted than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back