Mar 7, 2002
Procyon, Canis Major
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Stoke City
I was hi on pot and use didn't like it?

Re the meaning of Hypotenuse

Its amazing how the meaning of words change over time. Now its drugs, squaws and sexual innuendo.

Hypotenuse (Hy (high), pot (a glass size of beer), en (and), use (use))

In the old days when we would play snooker down the pub we put the winner's pot of beer on the high shelf, this would avoid people knocking it over accidentally with their cue stick.

So the pot on the high shelf would become the high-pot-and-use that eventually was condensed to the word that we know.

I thought everybody knew that.

What better way to learn though?

If he doesn't make it through the midfield and we have plans to play Boyd/Crameri plus an extra tall (eg. Redpath) he's simply going to have to improve his defensive output. We can't justify playing a forward line that tall without him doing some serious defensive grunt work. I reckon giving him minutes through the midfield and watching the havoc his opponents can cause if he's not defensively aware will help him improve in this area. Not to mention that if he does develop into a midfielder as a result we have a serious, serious player on our hands.
Just not sure what he learns dannnnnn. He's not able to cover the ground the way a mid needs to. Simple as that.

Really looking forward to see the new look footscray side this weekend
hopefully all the new draftees can fill the void and win another flag this year

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
Just not sure what he learns dannnnnn. He's not able to cover the ground the way a mid needs to. Simple as that.
I understand where you're coming from, but in my view neither does Jong - yet he's touted by pretty much everybody as a likely round 1 starter in the guts. I think it's worth giving him an extended run there and seeing what he can do. It'll help teach him what's required of a midfielder at the top level - something he clearly wants to become.

Any more interesting questions, Dannnnnnnnnn?
I think I'll hold off asking questions for a while. :p

What on Earth have I started.

DAN copy.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand where you're coming from, but in my view neither does Jong - yet he's touted by pretty much everybody as a likely round 1 starter in the guts. I think it's worth giving him an extended run there and seeing what he can do. It'll help teach him what's required of a midfielder at the top level - something he clearly wants to become.

I think I'll hold off asking questions for a while. :p
Jong didn't look like a 50 goal a year forward in the last 9 games last year though dannnnnnn. In a team that struggles for goals, I don't know why we'd play a guy like that through the midfield, when he has no tank to speak of.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Jong didn't look like a 50 goal a year forward in the last 9 games last year though dannnnnnn. In a team that struggles for goals, I don't know why we'd play a guy like that through the midfield, when he has no tank to speak of.
Missing our best clearance player though and Stringer excels in that area. I'm probably in favour of him playing the hybrid role their speaking of now. Mostly roaming up the ground alongside Crameri, but if we can isolate him one out deep at times than fantastic, and also throw him in at the center bounce a bit more too. I can see why people like him playing deep but I just want the ball in his hands as much as possible tbh and I think at this stage that means pushing him up to the flanks/wings.

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
Fair point, but we're also struggling for pace, good skills and physicality through the midfield - all of which Stringer could offer and has offered in the VFL. We're going to struggle to get the ball up forward at times and I believe Stringer could help with that significantly. He was also drafted with the view to developing him into a midfielder, as he was at junior level, and he's made it clear that that transition is something he wants to do. At some point we're going to have to see whether that skill set transfers. We also saw on the weekend that it's going to take a lot of work for him to adjust to having two big guys next to him, and that was without Crameri in the side. He has a lot to learn about what to do when the ball isn't being directed to him and playing stints through the middle will improve that significantly. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

Fair point, but we're also struggling for pace, good skills and physicality through the midfield - all of which Stringer could offer and has offered in the VFL. We're going to struggle to get the ball up forward at times and I believe Stringer could help with that significantly. He was also drafted with the view to developing him into a midfielder, as he was at junior level, and he's made it clear that that transition is something he wants to do. At some point we're going to have to see whether that skill set transfers. We also saw on the weekend that it's going to take a lot of work for him to adjust to having two big guys next to him, and that was without Crameri in the side. He has a lot to learn about what to do when the ball isn't being directed to him and playing stints through the middle will improve that significantly. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work.
My issue with it is that he has a fundamental flaw that prevents him from playing the position capably at afl level. Knowing that, I'm not sure why we'd play him there.

I'm not against him playing there in years to come if the tank develops, but given he also needs time next to boyd and redpath to find his niche, I'm not sure why we'd play him midfield now.

JTCWBFC

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool, Knicks, Yankees
My issue with it is that he has a fundamental flaw that prevents him from playing the position capably at afl level. Knowing that, I'm not sure why we'd play him there.

I'm not against him playing there in years to come if the tank develops, but given he also needs time next to boyd and redpath to find his niche, I'm not sure why we'd play him midfield now.

If Stringer stays forward what would your opinion be on playing crammers in the middle?

JJHunter

Club Legend
Jan 15, 2008
Toorak
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
How good is stringers quote about us not kicking backwards and sideways all the time any more. Ha. God we played a shite brand of footy last year.

Not sure I've read or heard anything but enjoyment and excitement about the new game plan. A lot of back handers to previous regime in many interviews too.

If we heard crack in 3000 times imagine how many times they would have heard it.

black pup

Club Legend
Jul 22, 2008
North East Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Very interesting to read posts about Stringer spending time in mid field.
The whole of pre season Stringer and Crameri have both rotated through Mid field.
Beveridge wants it to happen, and it is going to happen. This was the case before Libba going down.
I don't think this is any secret to anybody watching pre season.

Proffessor

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Why rob Peter to pay Paul, by pushing Stringer into the midfield? Surely we have other midfielders worth developing.

Stringer's development as a power forward was one of the few positives to come out of last year. The combination of Stringer and Boyd looked an exciting pairing. Jake still has pace over a short distance but seems to lack endurance/mobility over longer distances and looks a lot better suited to being a forward than a midfielder.

He may benefit from the improved fitness, but the risk is he may also drop strength and be less effective in his forward role.
I am worried that this move is motivated by the desire to make room for Redpath, rather than Jake's potential to play further up the ground.
If Jake's confidence as a forward falls away, it is a move that could backfire. Let's hope the gamble pays off.

Why rob Peter to pay Paul, by pushing Stringer into the midfield? Surely we have other midfielders worth developing.

Stringer's development as a power forward was one of the few positives to come out of last year. The combination of Stringer and Boyd looked an exciting pairing. Jake still has pace over a short distance but seems to lack endurance/mobility over longer distances and looks a lot better suited to being a forward than a midfielder.

He may benefit from the improved fitness, but the risk is he may also drop strength and be less effective in his forward role.
I am worried that this move is motivated by the desire to make room for Redpath, rather than Jake's potential to play further up the ground.
If Jake's confidence as a forward falls away, it is a move that could backfire. Let's hope the gamble pays off.

I understand the rationale for pushing Stringer into the midfield but hopefully it will be for relatively short stints. He will be a gun forward if left to develop there and much more valuable to us forward than in the midfield.

I agree with almost all you've said.

Last edited:

womble54

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Why rob Peter to pay Paul, by pushing Stringer into the midfield?

Let's hope the gamble pays off.

Same reason the drink plays Boyd in the ruck. He is clearly determined to develop versitile players that can cope with a number of positions if needed.

To the gamble - amen to that. We will see a whole new embellishment of the term "media attention" if, heaven forbid, Boyd's shoulder pops out playing ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back