Traded #18 Jeremy Cameron (U17 selection 2010, traded out 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Jeremy Cameron

art-wbAFLcameron-620x349.jpg

Height: 195cm
Weight: 95kg
D/O/B: 1/4/1993
Position: Forward

Jeremy Cameron was the winner of the 2012 AFLPA Best First Year Player, and runner up in the 2012 NAB AFL Rising Star and is considered one of the most exciting young forward prospects in the AFL which is evident by the fact that Cameron is tracking better than some of the most outstanding forwards of the past 15 years at the corresponding stage of their careers.

In an outstanding first season in the AFL competition, Cameron played 16 matches and was the club’s leading goal kicker for 2012 with 29 goals. The tall forward produced a number of impressive performances in his inaugural season and was nominated for the NAB AFL Rising Star Award after booting four goals against North Melbourne in Round 2.

In season 2013 Cameron kicked 62 goals and finished 3rd in the Coleman Medal with the highlight being his performance in round 18 against Collingwood when Cameron kicked seven goals, which to date is the highest haul of goals in a game by any Giants player.

And due to his excellent 2013 season was rewarded by
becoming the first Giants player to be named in the All-Australian team and went on to win the Kevin Sheedy Medal as the Giants’ Best and Fairest player. Cameron also became the junior ambassador for NSW/ACT AFL.

While recently Cameron was named in the Giants’ emerging leaders group prior to the start of the 2014 season.

Last edited:
Nice article on Jezza just prior to joining the Giants

JEREMY Cameron's life has been so full of new adventures of late, it's amazing to think he'll have chalked up a few more firsts by the time the under-18 national championship finishes at the end of June. And after that, the real fun begins. This time last year, Cameron was a 16-year-old playing his first full season of football, in the seniors for Dartmoor, 20 minutes from the South Australian border, population 200 ''if you're lucky,'' says his mother Kelly. Today, he is on the brink of joining the AFL's brave new world as a priority Greater Western Sydney draftee.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dream-run-20100528-wllr.html

And here is Cameron back in 2011 and has sure come a long way in a short amount of time

And here he is more recently with his starring role in Channel 7 winner of the Grant Hattam Trophy for Excellence in Sports Journalism

Also:

WITH marquee names still being pursued, Greater Western Sydney already has a budding superstar and a name to sell to the masses in Jeremy Cameron, who at 20 has taken on an ambassadorial role in the region.
With Lance Franklin and other names constantly linked with the club, Cameron's exploits this season have catapulted him forward and he is clearly the marketing magnet the second-year side craves.
With coach Kevin Sheedy yet to decide his future beyond 2013, Cameron's rise to stardom has come at the opportune time, and on Wednesday he was revealed as an AFL junior football ambassador for NSW and the ACT.
In just his second year in the AFL and in a team with just one win this season, Cameron is tied for the lead in the Coleman Medal race and right in contention for All Australian selection.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-08-21/follow-me-kids

Last edited:

Young forward Jeremy Cameron has become the first ever GIANTS player to win All-Australian honours.

Cameron, 20, who kicked 62 goals this season to finish third in the Coleman Medal, was tonight named as Full Forward in the 2013 Four`N Twenty All-Australian team.

“This is the biggest individual football achievement in our short history,” GIANTS Head Coach Leon Cameron said.

“Jeremy Cameron has had an outstanding season and thoroughly deserves his place alongside the best players in the AFL for 2013.

“He was our leading goal kicker, won the Kevin Sheedy Medal as Club Champion and now has a spot in the All-Australian team which is due recognition for a fantastic young talent.

“The most exciting thing for Jeremy and the GIANTS is there is still a lot of room for improvement and to take his game to another level.”

Cameron grew up in Dartmoor in Western Victoria and did not play football until he was 15. He made his debut for the GIANTS in 2012 and has kicked 91 goals in just 37 games.

After the same number of matches, Cameron sits in front of some of the game’s biggest names including Gordon Coventry (82 goals), Warren Tredrea (73), Wayne Carey (64), Lance Franklin (59) and Bernie Quinlan (46), Jonathan Brown (41), Matthew Pavlich (40) and Nick Riewoldt (33).

He kicked a club record seven goals against Collingwood at the MCG in Round 18 and was also appointed an AFL Junior Football Ambassador for New South Wales and the ACT.

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2013-09-16/cameron-named-all-australian

JEZZA'S JOURNAL #1

I can't believe it's less than a month until the regular season kicks off; the summer has flown by, and I can't wait to play for premiership points again. This has been my third pre-season with the club, and I have no doubt it's been the toughest thus far. I reckon the intensity has probably almost doubled this pre-season, compared to my first summer at the GIANTS. I put this down to a few reasons. There's a reasonably big chunk of players who are in their third year - guys like myself, Dylan Shiel, Toby Greene, and Adam Treloar - and while your first couple of pre-seasons are such a massive shock to the system, especially considering you're quite fresh out of school, by pre-season three you're ready to take on a heavier workload. Another factor contributing to the toughness of this pre-season is the fact we've had some mature recruits who've come into the club: Heath Shaw, Dylan Addison, Jed Lamb, Josh Hunt, and Shane Mumford, and they've really pushed the younger boys on and showed the way with their professionalism and work ethic. Finally, the addition of the new coach Leon Cameron. Leon has been brilliant since coming on board, and in the short time he's been at the club he has made a really positive impact; particularly with promoting the value of hard work during the pre-season, which should stand us in good stead to finish games more strongly this year. There have been a lot of really strong performers over the pre-season, which should really encourage GIANTS fans going into season 2014. The group of third year players I mentioned, who I think are really key to our performance this year, have pretty much all completed 85 per cent or more of the block of training, which is a great sign. Outside of those guys, our new number two draft pick Josh Kelly has been absolutely flying, as has Tom Scully, who I think is set for a really big year. NSW boy Jake Barrett is another who has been eye-catching. He's a very hard in-and-under player, and with a pretty robust frame and a background in Rugby League he's one of the hardest tacklers at the club too. But I've been really surprised by his tank! Jake has been up in the top three or four runners all the way through the pre-season, and it's exciting to think he'll only get fitter the longer he's in a professional AFL environment. The excitement levels are through the roof around the club; especially considering we've moved into our brilliant new facility at Sydney Olympic Park, which is a fantastic place to come to every day. The boys don't have to travel around as much between training, recovery, and other club commitments considering the more central location, and that's raised everybody's spirits. We're into the NAB Challenge now, and it's great to be a part of bringing the game to regional areas who don't get the chance to experience high level football very often. I'm feeling really good - free of injuries - and I'm champing at the bit to take on the Swans on March 15 at Spotless Stadium. - See more at: http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2014-02-24/jezzas-journal#sthash.tLdl6NvE.dpuf

JEZZA'S JOURNAL #2

By Jeremy Cameron

This is it! Only a few days until ‘Battle of the Bridge,’ and the mood around the club is one of pure excitement.

This will be one of our biggest games of the year, we’ve been really happy with our pre-season form, and I’m confident we’ll put in a really good showing in front of what I’m sure will be a big crowd.

It’s the first time we’ve played the derby at Spotless Stadium, so that adds a little bit of extra incentive for the group, as it’s on our home turf.

The coaches were really happy with our hit-out in the practice match against Adelaide at Blacktown on Friday, but for me personally it wasn’t ideal, as I sustained a bit of an injury to my ankle.

I was only going to play the first half, and the injury happened just before half-time, which was a little unlucky. It was quite an innocuous injury.

I went up for a mark, trod on Phil Davis’s foot when I landed, and there was an immediate sharp pain, as I twisted my ankle significantly.

I will have a fitness test on Friday to hopefully prove myself right, as I desperately want to take on Sydney. I have done everything in my power to give myself the best possible chance to play.

I haven’t really injured my ankle before, and it can be a tricky thing to hurt, as the pain can hang around for a while, but I’m staying really positive.

Nobody is 100% sure of the make-up of the side to face Sydney.

Leon Cameron has said it will be very difficult for the coaching staff, as a lot of guys have put their hands up for selection with strong pre-seasons. We played with 29 against Adelaide, and that’s obviously got to get down to 22 for Saturday. A lot of the boys went and watched the NEAFL side play last weekend too, and there were several stand outs in that game too, so I’d hate to be one of the coaches picking the side!

On Sydney, they are no doubt one of the premier teams in the competition, very professional, with a lot of quality players. But we love playing them, and we’re feeling good, having pushed them in the NAB Challenge a few weeks ago.

Jed Lamb and Shane Mumford have been really helpful in giving some insight into the Swans’ camp, and we can’t wait for 4:40 on Saturday evening!
http://www.aflnswact.com.au/index.php?id=5&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=2404&cHash=1df75abd49

JEZZA'S JOURNAL: #3

By Jeremy Cameron

After just missing out on a win against the Saints last weekend, the whole club is ready and raring to go, as we take on the Demons at Spotless Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

It's going to be great to return to our home ground - and the scene of the Round 1 win against Sydney - and it would be brilliant to get the support of as many fans as possible there; the crowd was a big reason for our win against Sydney.

The game against the Saints was tough to lose, and we were really disappointed, especially considering we had our chances, but there were a lot of positives to take from it.

St Kilda beat us by more than ten goals last year, so in that sense our performance was a big improvement, but we still want to run out games better than that.

I think our focus has shifted a bit from last year in terms of what we want from every game.

While we went into every game wanting to win last year, the focus was more to play well quarter by quarter, whereas this year it's about the full four quarters; we know we can play well over a while game and give ourselves the best chance of winning.

I think it's safe to say I didn't have my best game last week.

I didn't make the most of my opportunities, and I'm looking forward to a better showing this week.

I know there were some big raps on me after the Swans games from former players, but I don't read into that sort of thing at all, as far as I'm concerned I've done nothing of note in the AFL yet compared to past greats.

While I don't read my own press, I do read up and study current players.

I want to become the best combination of a range of players in the competition; taking the best attributes of a handful and working them into my game.

For example I might look at Nick Riewoldt's running patterns, Lance Franklin's agility, the way Travis Cloke uses his body one-on-one, and also the way in which someone like a Josh Kennedy tackles and puts on so much pressure.

I think the defensive side of playing as a key forward is becoming more and more important, in fact I think it's the future of the position.

Talking of great defence, Phil Davis being released from hospital is fantastic for the club.

He has been really up and about around the place since he got out; not feeling sorry for himself, and just really happy to be around the GIANTS again.

We all wish him a speedy recovery, and I reckon his new nickname, 'Captain Courageous' will stick with him for the rest of his career, and rightly so.

The signings during the week of Josh Kelly, Cam McCarthy, Jake Barrett, and James Stewart were massive for the club.

The fact they committed after being at the GIANTS for such a short amount of time is testament to the fantastic culture which has been built at the club; people want to stay and be part of a club which is going places.

The influence of Craig Lambert on the young guys entering the club is immense.

Craig literally takes the guys under his wing; into his house, and looks after them brilliantly, along with his wife Mel.

I know for me personally Craig played a big part in helping me settle into the club.

It's tough living away from home and Craig was and still is a father figure to me.

I had my birthday a couple of days ago - turning 21 - and I went over to Craig's house where he and Mel put on a great cake with candles for me, which was a really nice touch.

Aside from that my birthday was really quiet.

I had a sleep in, got some clothes, Devon Smith got me a bunny rabbit, and I received a new fishing reel which I'm itching to test out, but by far the best present would be a win this weekend, and I'll do my very best to make that happen!

http://www.aflnswact.com.au/index.p...6fa&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Last edited:
JEZZA'S JOURNAL #4

By Jeremy Cameron

I’m really looking forward to what is a big game for us this weekend against the Crows in Adelaide on Sunday afternoon, and I know the team is ready and raring to go.

We’ve started the season win, loss, win, loss, so following that trend we should get a win on the board this weekend!

It'll be great to get onto Adelaide Oval, I’ve heard the stadium looks fantastic, and it will be extra special for me as I have a lot of my family and friends coming along to watch.

My home town is pretty much exactly halfway between Adelaide and Melbourne, it’s about five hours to either city, and my family and friends try to get to as many games as possible.

I normally play pretty well when they’re in the stands, so fingers crossed I can contribute on Sunday afternoon!

The mood around the group has been really good, and the coaching staff on the whole were really happy with how we went against the Bulldogs, as our Key Performance Indicators like tackles and contested possessions were positive.

Unfortunately our work rate just dropped off in the last ten minutes of the game and we couldn’t get over the line, but it was a really good learning experience.

At the risk of sounding overly philosophical, I think as a club we’re almost at a stage where we’re learning more from losses, and there have been a few really good insights from our couple of losses this season so far.

We will have an eight-day break in between games, after playing the Bulldogs last Saturday, and it’s always nice to get that extra little bit of rest.

We’re still a very young team, and any extra opportunity to relax and get the body right we take full advantage.

It’s been quite a light week on the track so far, but today we’ll ramp it up and have a hard main training session.

When we’ve had that extra day’s break we will almost always include 10-15 minutes of match simulation in our main training session, as well as other targeted work based on the type of football we want to play that weekend.

The players enjoy the match simulations at training, and obviously while you don’t run through anyone when they’re exposed to be hit, you do attack the football hard and tackle with real force.

Outside of games, training is the only chance you get to impress the coaches, and with plenty of guys playing well in the NEAFL and knocking on the door of senior selection, an outstanding training session could get them over the line into the team.

Personally, I still train as hard as I ever have, despite the fact I have been with the club a few years, and have had a reasonably good start to my career.

I really appreciate each time I get named in the team, and it’s always an honour to pull on a GIANTS jumper.

I know football can be a very ruthless game, there’s always another person behind you wanting your spot, so I don’t take any game for granted.

It was really nice to kick my 100th goal on the weekend, though I had no idea about the milestone until I saw it on twitter afterwards (follow me: @Jezzacameron), where people were congratulating me.

Buggy (Thomas Bugg) has been getting into me about delivering a lace out pass onto my chest for me to kick the goal, but the truth is he was having a shot for goal and shanked it; we all know Buggy couldn’t kick the top off a custard tart!

Until next time, have a very happy Easter, and Go GIANTS!
http://www.aflnswact.com.au/index.p...7d9&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Greater Western Sydney star forward Jeremy Cameron will miss the rest of the season, requiring surgery on a troublesome left ankle.
The Giants on Tuesday said the 2013 All-Australian will go under the knife "immediately" and is expected to be ready for pre-season training from November.
"Unfortunately Jeremy has had an injury interrupted season, firstly with his right ankle, a perforated eardrum and then his left ankle which he injured against Brisbane," general manager of football, Graeme Allan, told the club's website.
"We have now received medical advice that he needs to undergo surgery on his left ankle.
Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...emy-cameron-20140722-zvpi7.html#ixzz39yPD6lQp

Cameron re-signs until 2020 :thumbsu:

THE GWS Giants have re-signed superstar forward Jeremy Cameron.
The All Australian key forward will instantly join the AFL’s rich list on a five-year deal which will earn him more than $4 million.
Cameron rejected the overtures of a host of Melbourne clubs who were circling and an offer from the Adelaide Crows which was even bigger than the one he signed with GWS. The deal, reported in today’s Daily Telegraph, was announced by the Giants at 11am. The club also announced goalkicking midfielder Devon Smith had signed a two-year contract extension.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...n-five-year-deal/story-e6frf3e3-1227249965124

Jeremy's pocket profile, couple of classics in there;
t's one of the most popular parts of the AFL Record and now each week we will bring you all you never knew you wanted to know about your favourite GIANTS players.

Pocket Profile - Jeremy Cameron

- See more at: http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/20...-jeremy-cameron#sthash.yYZ4ceQP.waRJYIfO.dpuf

Do you have any strange phobias:
I’m scared of Rhys Palmer’s right foot

Most useless thing you have bought:
A friendship bracelet for Tom Boyd

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a GIANT in all of us
GIANTS star forward Jeremy Cameron and eight-year old Lincoln Summons from Kellyville in North West Sydney are the faces of the club’s new brand campaign – titled There’s a GIANT in all of us – launched today in Sydney’s west.

The campaign focuses on the GIANTS’ passage from humble beginnings to a recognisable force representing the communities of Western Sydney and Canberra.

The campaign encapsulates the shared passion between players and fans with the centerpiece being the synergy between GIANTS forward Jeremy Cameron and young GIANTS supporter Lincoln Summons as they both prepare for game day.

The campaign tells the story of the unique bond between Jeremy and Lincoln, a friendship built several years ago following a chance meeting at a club night in Blacktown.

This led to Lincoln quickly signing up as a GIANTS member and even taking it upon himself to present Jeremy at show-and-tell at Beaumont Hills Primary School last year.

The campaign’s tag line There’s a GIANT in all of us is central to the club, its fans and the Western Sydney and Canberra communities.

With the new brand campaign comes a new hashtag #NeverSurrender. The line has an obvious and close alignment to the club and our supporter base through the team song, which is an integral part of any AFL club.

It is a strong statement for our fans to get behind and believe in and we want them to know that our team will #NeverSurrender.

GIANTS Chief Executive Officer David Matthews said the relationship between Jeremy and Lincoln was an authentic and representative focal point for the campaign.

“The story of Jeremy and Lincoln is real and it’s a great example of the connections the GIANTS are building with the local communities of Western Sydney and Canberra,” Mr Matthews said.

“We are lucky enough to have some of the most passionate supporters in Australia – many of them coming to our game for the first time – and we will always put our fans first as we seek to break new ground.”

Cameron, 23, said he felt a strong connection to the campaign having been one of the original players to join the club in 2010 ahead of the GIANTS entry into the competition in 2012.

“I see it as a privilege to be part of the club’s new brand campaign, it’s something I’m really proud of,” Cameron said.

“This is a real story about our club’s relationship with the community which has always been the cornerstone of our growth since we entered the AFL.

“Lincoln is a great young kid and I think he really enjoyed being part of this campaign.

“I love the finished product and feel that it represents the passion that our members and supporters have for the GIANTS.

“We’re a club that has come from humble beginnings but we know we’re building something really unique and very special.”

Lincoln, who plays for the Kellyville Rouse Hill Magpies, said taking part in the campaign was a dream come true.

“Having Jezza come to school was pretty cool but being in a commercial with him was even better.

“I love the GIANTS and I want to play for them, next to Jeremy, when I’m older.”

GIANT-Slider2.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back