2015 QAFL

Deelightful

Debutant
Jul 6, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
You know more than me probably. I've heard they have lost a few to the Logan Suns and I know dienjes and Rolfe brothers returned to broadie. Fenton retired. I've heard numbers on the track are good but mostly younger fellas. Long year for the dees.
Surfers have always had a strong junior development program, from what I hear second hand is they will be a young side, with very good coaching staff. Don't think they will play finals but will not be the whipping boys either. I'm tipping they get better throughout the season.

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Surfers have always had a strong junior development program, from what I hear second hand is they will be a young side, with very good coaching staff. Don't think they will play finals but will not be the whipping boys either. I'm tipping they get better throughout the season.

Agree the dees have had strong juniors and have some good young players coming through like Fraser and mutu but having said that young players need a group of older experienced heads to help develop and make sure their competitive. From what I see unless surfers get a good run with players coming back from southport they just will not have the strong bodies to be competitive. Time will tell.

Im in for a tipping contest LAB.

There is precious little info about player movements in Brisbane. Any news?

I see that the comps below the qfa nth and South seem to be losing teams. Nth down to 7 when originally 10 were put in there when the original restructure was announced. With questions over the NEAFL is qld footy in for yet another restructure in 1-2 years?

http://www.aflq.com.au/index.php?id=5&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=2336&tx_ttnews[backPid]=4&cHash=527b3285a4

The Sth comp also down to 9 from 10.

Thoughts?
Did the powers get it right?

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Tough one I reckon 2010 - have always believed that the strength of the code is not in pure numbers of clubs but the relative strength of those clubs that do exist. The inclusion of womens footy with some clubs has stiffened them up financially I imagine but at the end of the day clubs will find their point that suits their club. I think that the QAFL could easily be made into 8 teams increasing the overall strength of this comp (in much the same way that the reduction of Qld teams in the NEAFL increased the strength of the 3 remaining ones) and putting a couple of good clubs into the QFA Nth and South comps. But hey there are some pretty average comps existing in places like Victoria so I'm not sure we should feel entitled to playing in a comp where bottom could beat top on any given day.

pinocchio

Senior List
Apr 7, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Im pretty excited about the up and coming QAFL season,
1. Morningside
2. Broadbeach
3. Labrador
4.Mt Gravatt
5. Wilston Grange
6.Palm Beach
7.Western Magpies
8.Surfers
9. UQ
10 Sandgate

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
How have UQ gone over the summer recruiting wise? Obviously their coach comes with a good background but anyone else roll into the club that will make a difference to their playing stocks? Thought they might have been higher than 9th, maybe 7th.

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Labrador
Morningside
Mt Gravatt
PBC
Broadbeach

Wilton Grange
Western Magpies
UQ
Surfers
Sandgate

Pretty close I reckon LAB call me biased but I see my cats finishing a little higher. Finished 4th at end of home and away last year and we are no doubt stronger this year. But everyone else is too.

For mine
Mside
Lab
Cats
Mt g
Palmy
----------
Magpies
Grange
UQ
Dees
Sandgate

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Have Mount Gravatt recruited blokes?

Seems to be rated highly, despite from what I understand - they have lost some quality and recruited nobody new?

Juch

Draftee
Jan 6, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
1. Morningside Panthers
2. Broadbeach Cats
3. Labrador Tigers
4. PBC Lions
5. Mt Gravatt Vultures

6. Wilston Grange Gorillas
7. Surfers Paradise Demons
8. Universty Red Lions
9. Western Mapies
10. Sangate Hawks

or is it possible that it could all just fall into alphabetical order ? We'll see. Looking forward to season 2015

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
1. Morningside Panthers
2. Broadbeach Cats
3. Labrador Tigers
4. PBC Lions
5. Mt Gravatt Vultures

6. Wilston Grange Gorillas
7. Surfers Paradise Demons
8. Universty Red Lions
9. Western Mapies
10. Sangate Hawks

or is it possible that it could all just fall into alphabetical order ? We'll see. Looking forward to season 2015

Now you point out the alphabet thing it could happen, one for the stats guys, has the ladder in afl/ vfl ever finished alphabetically?

Ruffles00

Debutant
Nov 19, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Been some talk about Labrador throwing some coin around. What's their financial position at the moment? Must be fairly good if the chatter is true.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Been some talk about Labrador throwing some coin around. What's their financial position at the moment? Must be fairly good if the chatter is true.
One must not forget, they have lost 5 or 6 very good players that would of been on good coin in 2014. And the players they have recruited for 2015 just might mean they haven't spent any more money on players compared to 2014.
from what I see, I don't think their list will be any better then last seasons.In saying that, They should still be a major player in the comp and finals.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Any news on Mt.Gravatt. player losses/player gains.?
Their improvement last season was remarkable,,, got better every game and their finals appearances where sensational.( like they only just missed out on making the big one).

Dezario

All Australian
Dec 14, 2011
QLD
AFL Club
Geelong
Any news on Mt.Gravatt. player losses/player gains.?
Their improvement last season was remarkable,,, got better every game and their finals appearances where sensational.( like they only just missed out on making the big one).

The semi final isn't just missing out on the big one. Gotta get to the prelim to be close.

Mind you their late season surge was very impressive

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm enjoying the little qafl club previews that the website is putting up. I was worried that with Beth Newman moving on that the media side would be poor this year, but a positive start.

Only 37 days until the start of the season....

pinocchio

Senior List
Apr 7, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
One must not forget, they have lost 5 or 6 very good players that would of been on good coin in 2014. And the players they have recruited for 2015 just might mean they haven't spent any more money on players compared to 2014.
from what I see, I don't think their list will be any better then last seasons.In saying that, They should still be a major player in the comp and finals.
Totally agree stuyd1, the tigers have lost a fair few from the Grand Final team. The two that stood out for me Seddon and Niklaus will be big losses, and Baxter and Clarke from Southport good ins. Palm Beach I found to be the interesting one, the coach said they have picked up 20 recruits?? They might be a lot better than what people are saying, Bryant back they might be right up there again. Broadbeach have in my opinion picked up the best player for the season in Ryan Pantic,absolute gun ,Dienjes and Matt Dillon will also be good for the cats. Morningside will still be the team to beat and back to back is a realistic achievement, Shelton,Upton, Brown and power are massive losses but they just seem to have picked up some quality players and have great depth.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Totally agree stuyd1, the tigers have lost a fair few from the Grand Final team. The two that stood out for me Seddon and Niklaus will be big losses, and Baxter and Clarke from Southport good ins. Palm Beach I found to be the interesting one, the coach said they have picked up 20 recruits?? They might be a lot better than what people are saying, Bryant back they might be right up there again. Broadbeach have in my opinion picked up the best player for the season in Ryan Pantic,absolute gun ,Dienjes and Matt Dillon will also be good for the cats. Morningside will still be the team to beat and back to back is a realistic achievement, Shelton,Upton, Brown and power are massive losses but they just seem to have picked up some quality players and have great depth.

REF;Palm Beach..... 20 recruits means nothing if there not senior players, and don't tell me these recruits will be that.
After reading the AFLQ report on Mount Gravatt, they look like they will be stronger in 2015 and I feel will be a real contender come 2015.
The AFLQ report on my Broadbeach, forgot to mention that we have Mitch Brewer back ,,, a huge plus for us.

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
REF;Palm Beach..... 20 recruits means nothing if there not senior players, and don't tell me these recruits will be that.
After reading the AFLQ report on Mount Gravatt, they look like they will be stronger in 2015 and I feel will be a real contender come 2015.
The AFLQ report on my Broadbeach, forgot to mention that we have Mitch Brewer back ,,, a huge plus for us.

Big Mitch has decided not to play. His knee still isn't great

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I see some fringe PBC senior players moved onto Broadbeach as well.

That gun kid I was talking about last year, who in my view should have played Senior footy for PBC all year has been cleared to Broadbeach - keep an eye out for him - Jacob Guise. Will step up another level again imo.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I see some fringe PBC senior players moved onto Broadbeach as well.

That gun kid I was talking about last year, who in my view should have played Senior footy for PBC all year has been cleared to Broadbeach - keep an eye out for him - Jacob Guise. Will step up another level again imo.

Agree, and we have picked up Dillion from PBC, whom is a good player .,

Back