Review NAB Challenge Game 2 - Brisbane Lions def. Sydney Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Random thoughts:

Merrett was great. Reminded me of the good ol days of 2011 (never thought I'd say that) when he was under every high ball. Seems to have found some confidence knowing he'll be playing permanently down back.

Rich and Bewick seemed to swap places in that sweeping half back role. Not sure if that was exactly what was going on but they were certainly both very effective in that part of the ground at different times.

Taylor and Green were both excellent, and combined beautifully.

Staker and Close, on the other hand, did very little. If they're our first choice key forwards, then we'd better hope for plenty of goals from the smalls.

I was a little disappointed in Mayes' game. Didn't have a lot of it, had a tendency to throw it on the boot without looking when he did get it.

That was my first look at Dawson, and I was blown away. Good size, good speed, good skills, great footy smarts. Took a few marks just by being in front at the right time.

Lester seems to have gained a bit of toe. But was shocking with the ball.

Paparone looked pretty comfortable down back.

The Swans started to pick up the intensity in the third quarter and it was pleasing that we matched it. But apart from that, they were very ordinary opposition.

Two weeks off now before Gold Coast. I assume we'll go in with our full strength team again, and the Suns probably similar. It'll be interesting to see how we look in that one.

Some good habits forming. Our tackling appears to have gone to another level (it needed to). Ball use seems smarter and more precise. Better stoppage setups.

Forget the result given it's a scratch match but there's a base there for an improved season.

Gee that backline makes me nervous when they have the footy though. Clarke, Merrett, Paparone, Lester all struggle.

After watching tonight, here is your best 22 for round one, lock it in!!!

Gardiner Merrett Lester
Beams Clarke Rich
Adcock Redden Bewick
Zorko Close Robinson
Green McStay Taylor
Martin Rockliff Beams

Aish Leuenberger Mayes Paparone

Go Lions!!!
Paparone over Lester for me. Rest looks good.

Can anybody give me a brief rundown of how the lads played this evening? Any stand outs? Cheers

After watching tonight, here is your best 22 for round one, lock it in!!!

Gardiner Merrett Lester
Beams Clarke Rich
Adcock Redden Bewick
Zorko Close Robinson
Green McStay Taylor
Martin Rockliff Beams

Aish Leuenberger Mayes Paparone

Go Lions!!!
Looks good.

I would probably include Christensen for Lester.

Fair call. I thought Lester was solid, ran off his opponent well to help on the last line of defence. Handballs were solid, kicking needs a lot of work though.
I think you're being a little generous. His overall ball use was borderline terrible. I don't use that word often, but he would probably tell you that himself. One of his handballs to Merrett put him under pressure and resulted in a turnover and goal for Sydney. In a night that they scored very few goals, that stood out for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Christensen?

Yeah I agonised over that decision. He needs to have a good uninterrupted hit out against Gold Coast to have a good chance.

I am hoping he will, but I'll understand if he needs another few weeks. Would have him in over Mayes.

Regardless of who plays in round one, Leppa is going to have many selection headaches and it is great to see!

If you're asking because of Supercoach reasons, he'll be fantasy gold this year if he has more midfield time. 7 tackles is just an indication of what he's capable of.

Yes I was, defenders are a nightmare this year, Adcock playing in midfield would be indeed welcomed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back