Review NAB Challenge Game 2 - Brisbane Lions def. Sydney Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Lester's positioning and game sense were good his execution was patchy though. And again it's just a scratch match, but he can grow into the role.

With our new contested ball ability and running options we can get something out of chaos balls out of our back-half... It's not ideal but we shouldn't rue the mistakes as much as we have in previous years.

Am actually pretty damn excited TBH... haven't felt like this since the new Martin made his début with us last season. Everything the Swans done we had a way to counter it. We got pressured we didn't turn the ball over and always had a way our of situations. Skills need to be cleaned up especially when we get easy ball on the outside... no excuse to at least hit a target and dropping sitters.

It is Lester's handballs that are the worst. If he could clean that up he would be a lot more effective. They are at the feet or behind, just never quiet flush to a receiver, which impacts the quality and speed of their next disposal.

Our improved midfield should see our back 6 under a bit less pressure this year. Better midfield with bigger bodies hopefully equates to us winning more of the ball at stoppages and in contested situations, which hopefully means fewer trips into our def 50 and more into our fwd 50. The early signs certainly suggest we'll be better in that area.

Like the look of Dawson. Not sure how much he’ll play this year, but he didn’t look out of place at all to me and looks a nice long term prospect.

Some definite positives from tonight. Not getting too carried away, but it's nice to have a positive vibe about the team as we approach the season proper.

Yeah, Ironmonger - Merrett was great. Fantastic timing on those spoils and he was a real presence. Reckon he's worked out how to use the skill set he has once again.

So far, my best three players who look like improving our team in 2015 are:

1. Bewick
2. C.Beams
3. Merrett

All for different reasons, but all vital for our youngsters (and the team) to improve :thumbsu:

Obviously D.Beams, Christensen and Robinson will improve our team immensely, but really impressed with the way the above trio have worked on their weaknesses :cool:

Disappointed we don't have a game next week.

It is Lester's handballs that are the worst. If he could clean that up he would be a lot more effective. They are at the feet or behind, just never quiet flush to a receiver, which impacts the quality and speed of their next disposal.

Only 22, so my comparison may seem harsh...but just has a touch of the Polkinghorne's about him; does nothing at an excellent level and his worst traits are well below AFL standard.

Just can't see him being a regular moving forward.

Only 22, so my comparison may seem harsh...but just has a touch of the Polkinghorne's about him; does nothing at an excellent level and his worst traits are well below AFL standard.

Yeah I agree.... Lester isn't impressing me so far. Plenty of endeavour.... But ugly disposals. He makes me nervous when he's getting it or got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I agree.... Lester isn't impressing me so far. Plenty of endeavour.... But ugly disposals. He makes me nervous when he's getting it or got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Along with Close, I want to shake them and tell them to stop being softc**** and just play on instinct, rather than over-think the situation they're in.

I'd rather them get angry and smack a bloke into next week and cop 6 weeks if it meant we get their careers going; instead of the vanilla ice-cream they've been dishing up thus far.

Along with Close, I want to shake them and tell them to stop being softc**** and just play on instinct, rather than over-think the situation they're in.

I'd rather them get angry and smack a bloke into next week and cop 6 weeks if it meant we get their careers going; instead of the vanilla ice-cream they've been dishing up thus far.
I think we must have watched a different game. When he did get near the ball, l saw him agressively tackling the guy and trying to impact. He dropped off in the game but in the 1st half, he was taking marks and handballing it off. Tbh, l think he doesn't know how to get seperation from his opponent and/or doesn't know where to lead to get into the right spots.
Maybe he would be better as a defender where he can just follow his opponent, but i would rather we persist with him as a forward as we have no better option atm.

I think they'd do 6 weeks and return the same players... not sure that is a recognized method for "kick starting" a career. LOL

I think they'd do 6 weeks and return the same players... not sure that is a recognized method for "kick starting" a career. LOL
Browny did alright ;)

I think we must have watched a different game. When he did get near the ball, l saw him agressively tackling the guy and trying to impact. He dropped off in the game but in the 1st half, he was taking marks and handballing it off. Tbh, l think he doesn't know how to get seperation from his opponent and/or doesn't know where to lead to get into the right spots.
Maybe he would be better as a defender where he can just follow his opponent, but i would rather we persist with him as a forward as we have no better option atm.

No, I see him as a forward too, but he's 1.96cm and 95kg, but looks, at times, to be scared to use his frame. Close has the skills, fitness base etc. but I'd love him to take just one game by the scruff of the neck and I think we'd see a totally different player from there on in...

Just a bigger version of Cheynee Stiller I reckon. :(

Some interesting TOG stats:

Merrett 100%
C.Beams 88%
Clarke 85%
Paparone 84%

Leppa seems to have settled on the majority of his back 6, considering Gardiner played 75% and Rich 77% :thumbsu:

At the lower end was D.Beams (51% but with 19p), Leuey (52% with only 3p) and Staker with 33% for 2 possessions.

A bit strange to see Rocky go a match without registering a single tackle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back