Potential father-sons watch thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree sydney getting both academy and f/s is a bit rich, but the proposed bidding system for father sons is a joke.

The father son rule is great the way it is, at absolute best you get a 10-12 pick upgrade, but that would happen to each club once every 10-20 years and good luck to them. But generally the current rule gives clubs a 5 or so pick discount which is nothing and good for the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So FS is just about discounts ? You still have dibs on any kid u want. No one else can take them if u pay up.

So FS is just about discounts ? You still have dibs on any kid u want. No one else can take them if u pay up.

Under the new system proposed by Eddie and your president, it is much more likely that father sons don't end up at their club, reading over this thread the majority of you agree it's a great rule many even suggesting the games played be lowered back to 50, effectively making it easier for father sons to get to your club.

I feel newbold is just trying to cut sydney down as they are your biggest competitor, but this or a short term view. He will have serious egg on his face if/when you miss out of the son of a legend because you don't want to give up your first 3 picks for them.

Under the new system proposed by Eddie and your president, it is much more likely that father sons don't end up at their club, reading over this thread the majority of you agree it's a great rule many even suggesting the games played be lowered back to 50, effectively making it easier for father sons to get to your club.

I feel newbold is just trying to cut sydney down as they are your biggest competitor, but this or a short term view. He will have serious egg on his face if/when you miss out of the son of a legend because you don't want to give up your first 3 picks for them.

The new system is being proposed by the AFL. Eddie and Andrew have been advocates for an overhaul of the old system to produce fairer results for all other clubs - yours included. They have not proposed or devised the system with which bidding will be determined, the AFL has. If you feel that strongly that this system will adversely affect father son prospects reaching your club, then as a member, it is your right to contact your club and tell them that you do not endorse this system and ask they don't endorse it as well.

Furthermore - Hawthorn has not selected Tom Curran, and Harry Dear in recent times- both sons of premiership players. In the event that a club thinks that a father son is good enough to be on their list, and fits into the list model - then the system as proposed will provide for that, providing that clubs don't misuse the system, which is hard to do. But other than pick 1 and 2 - it is really hard for the points that are allocated to have some far reaching affect on you- and if your father son is considered to be worthy of one of the first two picks- then having your first 3 picks altered is of little consequence if you get your trading and free agency period right.

This system, as proposed by the AFL, is set to happen on draft night. Not prior to the trade period. So - if you know your father son is going be a first rounder, which most would have a feel for based on what we know to date, then you might change your strategy somewhat to collect some extra picks. EG you might trade out an early pick and players to get a handful of second round picks in a group. Picking up these extra picks mitigates your risk in that system. If a club bids high, then you have them there to absorb most of the points and you will retain your other already allocated picks. If a club doesn't bid high, then you have improved your draft position. Quite honestly - a team that plans well, won't have any issues with this system. I just don't see how it is prohibitive to players getting to the clubs. Really good players will cost you, and ladder position will determine the extent to which you have to 'fork out' - meaning, this is a much fairer system for clubs at the bottom of the ladder, than it is for those at the top.

Relax, the father son rule is not dead, even if you think it is.

Father sons will STILL get to the Club if they are good enough, but now the Club will have to pay a fairer price. G.Ablett Jnr was taken with Pick 40. Under the new system, the Cats would have had to taken him with their first rounder at that time (Pick 8) or a shuffle of picks later on in the draft. This is a much fairer system AND the father son tradition lives on.

People are too quick to lash out at new rules. Let them come in, lets see the results, then we can judge.

He will have serious egg on his face if/when you miss out of the son of a legend because you don't want to give up your first 3 picks for them.
Giving up first 3 picks is an extreme example when you finish on top and the son is ranked close to the top.
Even then I would happily grab the second best draftee for picks 18, 37 and whatever the last one in the Swans example was.
The only way we will miss out on the son of a legend is if he is not good enough.

You have convinced me somewhat, still...it is change and I am afraid of it!!!

I think you'll find that an eight year old kid by the name of Crawford (who has a big tank and is a bit lippy on the field) just signed up to play in his local U/9's. I fully expect him to be taken as a F/S in the 2025 draft....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you'll find that an eight year old kid by the name of Crawford (who has a big tank and is a bit lippy on the field) just signed up to play in his local U/9's. I fully expect him to be taken as a F/S in the 2025 draft....
Front page news in tomorrows paper. Remember though I saw it here first ;)

How many father son picks have Hawthorn taken that 'made it'?

Will Langford was an NSW academy not a father-son I think.

I'm thinking based on our past we'd be better off having the FS rule abolished wouldn't we? At least we'd have a chance getting a Geelong son...

I'm thinking based on our past we'd be better off having the FS rule abolished wouldn't we? At least we'd have a chance getting a Geelong son...
Small sample size. I don't think their is any systemic reason for lack of success. IF footballing ability is in anyway genetic, and given the great amount of talent that has passed through our club in the past 30 years, you would expect that we would have more successful clubs. Statistics suggest results will regress back to the mean which is to say we can look forward to a bumper crop of Father sons to even things out :)

If you look at the last 30 years, not one of the players picked up under the father son rule has made it to 50 games in the brown and gold.

Elijah Anderson is reportedly eyeing off a spot in the midfield.

140203_famday14.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back