The on topic thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, those are pretty impressive numbers - Toon only have a fraction over 1.5m.

The club isn't very proactive though on the social media front - another example of Ashley not caring too much about the club or wanting to raise it's profile. The polar opposite to the Tiges who are arguably the best in the AFL with their multimedia offerings. :confused:

Just from personal travels throughout Asia, their following is massive. Absolutely massive. Have spent a few years living and traveling through Asia, and off the top of my head I would say they are most popular in:

- Thailand (United and City not far behind)
- Vietnam
- Malaysia (Chelsea seem very popular here too)
- The Philippines

Have seen plenty of support for them in India and China too, probably on par with Arsenal and United there. Taiwan was mostly Chelsea although I don't remember much, was too drunk.

Hong Kong is predominantly United but with Liverpool not too far behind. Singapore and Indonesia seem to be Arsenal. Thaksin's reign at City still sees them very popular in Thailand.

Only been a handful of times to Sri Lanka and Pakistan, but again Liverpool have a marked presence there.

But overall, they have a huge global following but perhaps not the club isnt active enough on social media to reflect this.
Yeah this is all true. My post was purely in jest. :p

Maybe they're not as big as we think they are?

giphy.gif
I wonder how many bites this will get, haha.

It is strange though how Liverpool have nowhere near the numbers of United (and even Chelsea & Arsenal) on social media.

United: 63.5 million (Facebook likes)
Chelsea: 41
Arsenal: 32
Liverpool: 24.6

Didn't someone here say that Ronaldo was better than Messi because he had more facebook likes?

Facebook likes not an accurate way of measuring support IMO..

Plus it was so long ago that we were successful, most of our supporters are probably pensioners now - and aside from my Nan, I don't know many octogenarians that use Facebook.

Just from personal travels throughout Asia, their following is massive. Absolutely massive. Have spent a few years living and traveling through Asia, and off the top of my head I would say they are most popular in:

- Vietnam
- The Philippines

Have seen plenty of support for them in India and China too, probably on par with Arsenal and United there. Taiwan was mostly Chelsea although I don't remember much, was too drunk.

Hong Kong is predominantly United but with Liverpool not too far behind. Singapore and Indonesia seem to be Arsenal. Thaksin's reign at City still sees them very popular in Thailand.

Only been a handful of times to Sri Lanka and Pakistan, but again Liverpool have a marked presence there.

But overall, they have a huge global following but perhaps not the club isnt active enough on social media to reflect this.

The Philippines are pretty big on basketball (NBA) I think though from what I've read, football is growing there which is awesome.

South Korea would be another country with a big EPL following I would have thought? Park Ji Sung predominantly (can recall people saying Man Utd only signed him for the commercial benefits it would create for merchandise sales) plus a few of their next gen Yun Suk-young and Ki Sung-yueng at QPR and Swansea.

Didn't someone here say that Ronaldo was better than Messi because he had more facebook likes?

Facebook likes not an accurate way of measuring support IMO..

I think both Messi and Ronaldo have more 'followers' than even on United on facebook; so by that logic, both are bigger names/entities than all of the EPL clubs! :eek:

Huh?

Chelsea and Arsenal have a bigger global fan base than Liverpool.

seh6p.gif
Aresnal is huge in America.
Chelsea is huge in the Ex-Soviet sphere of influence. eg. Russia, Ukraine, Mongolia (there's a dedicated Chelsea pub next door to Ikea in Ulan Baatar!)

- Vietnam
- The Philippines

I thought United seemed the most popular in Malaysia, that may have been because of the marketing for some potato chip company having images of Rooney etc plastered all over the place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you need to look beyond "my club is bigger than yours" to get anything out of those stats. But when you do you can get some interesting info out of them.

Crowds - they've given each club a ranking for the average attendance this season, and then a ranking for each clubs record attendance. By combining the two rankings they've determined a ranking for each club. So as an example, Hull may have a lower attendance than West Ham or Southampton this season they have a higher record attendance so are ranked higher.

Personally think thats a bit of a pointless exercise particularly when historic attendance statistics are available. I'd just determine the average attendance for each team over time and rank each team accordingly.

Global fanbase - there isn't a lot more you can do than things like twitter/facebook. Maybe you could look at things like TV viewing audiences but that can vary depending on the game, opponent and time of the game. So twitter/facebook figures are interesting, and like most I was surprised that Liverpool were so low. ADL makes a good point about foreign language accounts, I know City have around a dozen or so. The numbers can also reflect the quality of the content provided, so maybe if Liverpool were still lagging after adding in their foreign language accounts that might indicate that their twitter/facebook content needs improving rather than their global fanbase diminishing.

I wouldn't underestimate Chelsea's global fanbase either, it's pretty huge and growing.

Trophies
- It is what it is. You can argue all day about what trophies should be included and what weighting should be given for each. Personally if I was putting something like this together I would include the charity/community shield (with a low weighting) and probably semi-final/final appearances and runner up/3rd placings as well.

Average league finish
- seems pretty straightforward

Player quality - Keane, Henry, Vieira, Bergkamp, Giggs, Ronaldo, Cantona. All named in the Telegraphs top 10 players in premier league history. None count for anything by this metric. Joey Barton, Carl Jenkinson, Frazier Campbell, John Flanagan, Steven Caulker, Jay Rodriguez, Matt Jarvis all count for something. Enough said.

Pretty hard to quantify player quality, personally I'd scrap it and just go with average league position. Surely thats a better assessment of the quality of a team.

Income - pretty straightforward

Nah that's normal because your ticket is valid for the rescheduled match. Hull have no obligation to refund but may do so if asked nicely.

If that's the case then fair enough, seemed that a few Liverpool fans were pretty outraged though, so I guess we'll see what happens.

My biggest criticism of that kind of statistical survey is that it gives equal weighting to the amount of facebook and twitter fans a club has to the amount of trophies won in their history.

If that's the case then fair enough, seemed that a few Liverpool fans were pretty outraged though, so I guess we'll see what happens.

Same thing. I bought tickets to Blackpool away back on boxing day 2010. Match rescheduled because of severe winter weather after I was leaving to head back to Australia. Luckily for me I was able to resell them amongst family / friends. I'm sure the fans complaining could easily offload the tickets but are complaining they can't attend the postponed game at all. Bad luck in that case.

I thought United seemed the most popular in Malaysia, that may have been because of the marketing for some potato chip company having images of Rooney etc plastered all over the place.

Yep quite possibly true, was only judging from what I had seen.

Rooney flogging potato chips hey? Very apt ;)

My biggest criticism of that kind of statistical survey is that it gives equal weighting to the amount of facebook and twitter fans a club has to the amount of trophies won in their history.

I think thats why I see more value out of the individual rankings than the summary.

I think you need to look beyond "my club is bigger than yours" to get anything out of those stats. But when you do you can get some interesting info out of them.

Trophies
- It is what it is. You can argue all day about what trophies should be included and what weighting should be given for each. Personally if I was putting something like this together I would include the charity/community shield (with a low weighting) and probably semi-final/final appearances and runner up/3rd placings as well.
Erm, but making a semi final, or final or finishing second or third does trophy win not. That category is called trophies. I wouldnt put the Community Shield in there either. It's a glorified friendly that nobody cares about.

Also social media like Twitter, Facebook is a bad way to judge global fanbase. Im a huge Liverpool fan as we all know. But I dont have Twitter. Twitter to me seems like something just for famous people and I have no use for it. So then that is one less huge Liverpool fan who isnt following them on Twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back