News Phil Walsh - New AFC Coach and Art Critic

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.sen.com.au/audio it's currently no 8 (can't direct link) and the Adelaide chat starts about 14:30

Thanks for the link.

Interesting to hear that he finds 'Ground Ball differential' as his most important stat and one he has been focusing on with the group. Mentioned that in our worst quarter of footy (1st quarter v Gee) this preseason - we lost that stat to Geelong by 9.

Interesting to note that the West Coast Eagles were number 1 in "Ground Ball get differential" in 2014. Walsh would have had a fair bit to do with that considering he was the strategy and innovations coach from 2009-2013.

Brother just sent me a ripping link. Not totally about what makes a great coach -> but definitely some key aspects in here that Coach Pop brings to the table that make him a great coach.

Ripping read for all Australians regardless.

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/03/25/patty-mills-australia-san-antonio-spurs-bala-gregg-popovich

Thank you of sharing that - one of the best articles I have read. Brilliantly done.

A couple of interesting points;

• Pop is a brilliant coach. Mills would have run through a wall for Pop after that. If you want respect as a coach you earn it and you earn through your players knowing you have their interests at heart. Sando didn't understand that, Walsh does.
  • The treatment of our Indigenous people has been appalling and many probably don't understand just how bad and how recent it was (and continues to be esp when idiots like Abbot are in charge). As a country we do not come across good at all.
  • Eddie McGuire gets smashed and rightly so. He did not come out of this well at all.
  • I find it interesting that it took a journalist from America to be able to express just how incredible Mills' story really is. The odds of him emerging in to an NBA player and having that kind of impact on a NBA championship with his background is astronomical. As a country we should be celebrating this as one of the great stories of all time. It also says a lot about the journalists here in Australia.
  • Having said that, there is one great basketball writer in Australia - Boti Nagy. I really hope he writes a book on Patty - it would be terrific.
  • I will be looking to watch the documentary - can't wait.
  • I hope Patty is able to find his best again and enjoys a long and very successful career. He is an outstanding role model.
  • Why is Mabo day not our National holiday? Screw Queens birthday.

Very good, especially having the guy from Champion Data explaining the difference between contest ball winning and winning it as a ground ball, and how we were so reliant on Jacobs tapping it down to our mids to win contested possessions last year.

Explains why Jacobs rucked 90% of game time and 100% of the ground while doing it.

Thank you of sharing that - one of the best articles I have read. Brilliantly done.

• Pop is a brilliant coach. Mills would have run through a wall for Pop after that. If you want respect as a coach you earn it and you earn through your players knowing you have their interests at heart. Sando didn't understand that, Walsh does.
  • The treatment of our Indigenous people has been appalling and many probably don't understand just how bad and how recent it was (and continues to be esp when idiots like Abbot are in charge). As a country we do not come across good at all.
  • Eddie McGuire gets smashed and rightly so. He did not come out of this well at all.
  • I find it interesting that it took a journalist from America to be able to express just how incredible Mills' story really is. The odds of him emerging in to an NBA player and having that kind of impact on a NBA championship with his background is astronomical. As a country we should be celebrating this as one of the great stories of all time. It also says a lot about the journalists here in Australia.
  • Having said that, there is one great basketball writer in Australia - Boti Nagy. I really hope he writes a book on Patty - it would be terrific.
  • I hope Patty is able to find his best again and enjoys a long and very successful career. He is an outstanding role model.

Great article, and well said. Couldn't agree more with your points

Let's hope Phil is building a culture that will engage our own Patty, for his own reasons, like Pop has with Patty Mills

Pleasure - quality post yourself.

On your last point - its the vibe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pleasure - quality post yourself.

On your last point - its the vibe.

We've seen some very important changes in this short transition period for our club. We've had a new CEO, Coach, and Captain. I feel that making Mills our new number 1 ticket holder aligns with the vision and strategy of our club and honours a great Australian.

Seriously, this should be a no brainer.

I agree 100% and I also put Buckley in that category.
dodge-5687659.jpg

I think there are question marks over a number of players of that era (wasn't Woewodin also 'friends' with Charter?)

I don't normally quote myself, especially when it was posted in the wrong thread to start with, but today just seems to good an opportunity to miss.

So two ex-friends of Charter, two coaches, two clubs with players taking PEDS. Coincidence?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back