General motorsport news thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Guessing you went to Phillip Island imadodgyumpire ?

I only went on the Saturday.

Went through behind the pits, Got up close with Alan Jones World Championship winning car as well as the 1300 hp BMW powered Benetton. Was taking photos of the Williams while it was in it's garage from outside, A guy who was working on it told me I could come in, so me and my dad went up to it. There was kid sitting in it as I walked in. I probably could have sat in it if I asked. Pretty amazing to be around. We thought we were so special to be able to be so close to a World Championship winning car, but about 20 minutes later they wheeled it out the back so everyone call see it.. :p. The Benetton was cool too. They didn't have much of the body work in the car when we were in the garage so we could see the engine. Insane how large the turbo is. 1300 hp for a car that weighs 548 kgs. Also went in with a Tom Sneva Indycar.

Took a fair few photos. Only still learning so most of the track photos turned out s**t. Took some nice ones in the pits though. Might get around to posting them.

Alright. I forgot about writing PI, so I'll do it now because I can. Going over MagpieBogans's post. The Benetton was there, but there's a photo of it in here from previous events. AJ Williams was there (also on the m'sport photos thread). I had look at it up close with the bodyword off. Even though I know about them, I was interesting to note how little protection there was for AJ in those days. I mean, they have nothing!

There's footage of AJ having an innocuous crash for the lead of the Belgian GP. The shows AJ limping away from the car. Looking at the car up close, no wonder he was limping! It wouldn't surprise me if in those days, cars clattering against each, or continuously going over kerbs, or even driving off track, led to bruising.

The Allan Moffat demonstration wasn't a big deal. Just seeing some of his cars trundling around.

It's kind of weird seeing the V8 demonstration. They're not historic, but they are clearly outdated.

Even though I knew they were coming, I was disappointed the Group A Touring cars weren't there. But it's hard for those competitors, since they were supporting the GP the following week.

When I normally don't take any notice, it was the under 3 litre touring cars that had the best on track action. There was some pretty good battles for the win between Ford Capris and Mazda RX2s. It was good stuff.

If you want to buy a racing car (but not a Porsche) and have plenty of opportunities to race at PI, then a historic formula ford is the way to go. They were good. They're relatively cheap. You'd be able to compete in state, maybe national rounds as well. So that's 4-5 opportunities right there.

In on of the regularities. There was a Porsche, painted in red and yellow Shell colours. It was a car for Bathurst regular, Glenn Seton driver, Wayne Park won the Porsche Cup in 20 years ago. I remember him racing it was a kid. He was a gun in it. It was good to see it, even if it wasn't getting hammered.

That's all I can remember for now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's so horrible when spectators are killed. They go along for an entertaining day, and something so terribly tragic happens. Scary accident, flips up like the Mercs at Le Mans. The accident was at Flugplatz, "Flying Place".

It's so horrible when spectators are killed. They go along for an entertaining day, and something so terribly tragic happens. Scary accident, flips up like the Mercs at Le Mans. The accident was at Flugplatz, "Flying Place".

Look familiar ??
Same corner as this...

so it turns out i know a bloke who raced at Whyalla last night.
Isn't answering his phone today.....

Was the flagman that got hit. 2nd time a flagman has been hit in SA in as many seasons. Condolences to the flagman's family and the driver involved and their family.