Side by Side with Reykjavik - RIP (re-read Rey's message to us all #108, pg 5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you all for your kind words. Though things are tough, it's amazing how often in these days that I am buoyed by the kindness of strangers. And amongst the Collingwood family, kindness is never far from the surface.

I have got a friend to help me write a bit here as a thank you. I am not much use at putting things together these days so he is due some sympathy for deciphering my intent out of the random words I can manage.

It has been a wonderful thing being a Collingwood supporter. And that is the case regardless of how many flags we have won and lost in my lifetime. A flag is great, and don't get me wrong they have been moments to savour, but in the end its just a piece of fabric. People matter, people like you. And Collingwood people are the best. When things are at their darkest is when you can truly see the stars.

I remember even though things aren't working great. I remember my first premiership in 1990, and how good it felt partly because of how much we had suffered before it. And I remember that I knew it was coming, when I watched the 1986 season which in a lot of ways seemed like a disaster. But it was the year our U19 team, who would provide the core of the premiership team, won their own cup against North and began their journey that would end in the ultimate four years later. I was a lost and alone school kid, a city kid adrift in the country and a long way from home. And my team of choice was just another thing that isolated me from my peers. But I didn't give a s**t, even when the guys determined to make my life as s**t as possible heaped crap upon my black and white army. I knew pride, even then, and I knew that was Collingwood. And in the end, in spite of their certainty in their superiority, we were destined to claim the ultimate prize long before their drought ended. Life is funny that way. Life is always funny.

Though this year looks like being a tough one too, I think at some stage in 2015, it will be possible to see the same moment, when the youngsters begin to stand up and show the qualities that will see them rise towards the heights again. As tough as it might be at times, that's worth being around for.

If I can be forgiven for ripping off Martin Luther King again, I might not have been to the mountaintop, but I think I have seen the promised land. And I think this lot will get there. And though I wont be there to see it with you, I know it will be an exciting time ahead. And if things look dark at times this year, just look up and see the stars.

Thank you all for your kind words. Though things are tough, it's amazing how often in these days that I am buoyed by the kindness of strangers. And amongst the Collingwood family, kindness is never far from the surface.

I have got a friend to help me write a bit here as a thank you. I am not much use at putting things together these days so he is due some sympathy for deciphering my intent out of the random words I can manage.

It has been a wonderful thing being a Collingwood supporter. And that is the case regardless of how many flags we have won and lost in my lifetime. A flag is great, and don't get me wrong they have been moments to savour, but in the end its just a piece of fabric. People matter, people like you. And Collingwood people are the best. When things are at their darkest is when you can truly see the stars.

I remember even though things aren't working great. I remember my first premiership in 1990, and how good it felt partly because of how much we had suffered before it. And I remember that I knew it was coming, when I watched the 1986 season which in a lot of ways seemed like a disaster. But it was the year our U19 team, who would provide the core of the premiership team, won their own cup against North and began their journey that would end in the ultimate four years later. I was a lost and alone school kid, a city kid adrift in the country and a long way from home. And my team of choice was just another thing that isolated me from my peers. But I didn't give a s**t, even when the guys determined to make my life as s**t as possible heaped crap upon my black and white army. I knew pride, even then, and I knew that was Collingwood. And in the end, in spite of their certainty in their superiority, we were destined to claim the ultimate prize long before their drought ended. Life is funny that way. Life is always funny.

Though this year looks like being a tough one too, I think at some stage in 2015, it will be possible to see the same moment, when the youngsters begin to stand up and show the qualities that will see them rise towards the heights again. As tough as it might be at times, that's worth being around for.

If I can be forgiven for ripping off Martin Luther King again, I might not have been to the mountaintop, but I think I have seen the promised land. And I think this lot will get there. And though I wont be there to see it with you, I know it will be an exciting time ahead. And if things look dark at times this year, just look up and see the stars.

You, Sir, are a colossus!

:thumbsu::cry:

Great words from you both.
A complete stranger has just put everything into perspective and it hit me.

Lets hope some of the negative nellies read Reykjavik's words and find out what it means to be a pies man.
Hang in there Rey, the kids might just surprise themselves this year, they have before huh?

I don't know you. The extent of our interaction has been a couple of likes back and forth over the last few years. But what you've written above is not only the greatest single post I've ever seen on this site, but one of the most beautiful pieces of writing I've ever had the privilege of reading. It's rare you read something with such heartfelt emotion and startling clarity. It's something I'll carry with me forever.

Though we've never met, we're forever united by a common passion. Good Old Collingwood Forever. I wish you nothing but the absolute best, Reykjavik.

Eternally side by side,
Tim.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow. Perspective. Side by Side always guys. Reykjavik , thinking of you as I am sure everybody is.:cry:

I was going to write a Haiku but that won't cut the mustard I'm afraid although I'd like to get poetic.

Reykjavik I don't know you personally and what you are going through but I'd like to say you always cut through to me with your fine humanity and wit. I'd like to think you are the type of man I'd meet at a bar and talk with long into the night and about a lot of things.

Your passion for the club is touching and means something to me as I'm sure it does for the other guys posting on this forum - like a bad movie, football is just theatre but its a theatre of human relations and we should never forget that.

Take care my man and hang on.

Have been thinking about this since the thread started and haven't known whether to post it or not for fear of big noting or whatever other negatives people may think.
A number of years ago I saw Dr Charlie Teo remove an inoperable tumour from a lady when no-one else would do it and was completed won over by the guy.

I now make regular donations to Cure Brain Cancer Foundation, (http://www.curebraincancer.org.au/page/27/about-us) off the back of that amazing man and just literally found another example of his work http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...ers-brain-tumour/story-fni6uo1m-1226786798477

There's links on the website for people to donate if they wish or if the BF community decides to take up a collection I have the foundations bank account details.

Sometimes these things are done in honour of someone and they are not aware of it as they have unfortunately passed, in honour of Reykjavik I will think of you each time I donate now.

Been staring at the screen for 20 minutes, no idea what to say.

Reykjavik i would like you to know you aren't just a random internet dude that makes me laugh. You are one of the rare ones that break through, i hope you feel that.

What you are going through is bigger than any footy thing, and i wish you all the best. Having just read about your condition i know it looks bleak but whatever way it goes, please know you certainly had an impact and a great one at that!

Thanks mate

Rey your post has had a profound impact on me (and I'm sure many others). The wisdom and clarity of what you wrote have choked me up, and have made me wonder at the justice of it all. We've never met mate but you sir are a magnificent soul. Jim

Keep Fighting the Good Fight Reykjavik :thumbsu:

I'm just so lost for words i dont know what to say. The only i can say is keep fighting mate dont ever give up :thumbsu:

After reading your message tonight Reykjavik i want you to know that Reykjavik's Law will forever have two meanings for me.
The inevitable mention of Buckley's coaching ability, and now, and more importantly, a reminder that life is so much more than a poor game of footy, or a team not going so well.

I hope you're comfortable and I'm sure you're surrounded by many who love you, along with all the love and best wishes from your Big Footy Collingwood family

We are all thinking of you

Hey Rej. What a post. I was going to say something pithy about flags and fabrics then I actually read again what you wrote. Wow, profound. Just realised , maybe for the first time, flags aren't everything. They are pretty good mind you. But being part of side by side is better. We are united with you , not just by our footy side but by our feeling and I thank you for crystallising that tonight. We are lucky to be part of the biggest , most feeling and united group. We are Collingwood and we are bound by the forces and strength your post unleashed tonight as it has been unleashed by all our generations before us. We know you by knowing our footy team and that's why you have our life and strength behind you. Maybe we can't change anything but maybe we can. Suffice to say where ever this journey takes you you will be taking a bit of the BF Collingwood community as company. Still reckon wherever it goes it has a real chance of being a hell of a ride. Take us with you, things have probably only just begun. Keep the faith.

Just putting a thought out there.
At the moment we have Rekjavik's Law which relates to Bucks etc, I'm hoping the Bucks stuff will eventually stop.
With a view to honouring Reykjavik I'd luck to suggest whenever anybody is being too negative we respectilly mention Reykjavik's name or "Rey time" in the thread and that's a sign to move and get over it.

Thoughts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back