Side by Side with Reykjavik - RIP (re-read Rey's message to us all #108, pg 5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Just putting a thought out there.
At the moment we have Rekjavik's Law which relates to Bucks etc, I'm hoping the Bucks stuff will eventually stop.
With a view to honouring Reykjavik I'd luck to suggest whenever anybody is being too negative we respectilly mention Reykjavik's name or "Rey time" in the thread and that's a sign to move and get over it.

Thoughts?

That's what I was hoping....just the mention of Rey's name should make people focus on just what is....and isn't important.
Legends always do that...
just look how humble and focussed we've already been today. Great words from a great man have inspired that...lets keep it going.
I'm gonna dedicate my first wave to you tomorrow Rey...normally I do that for my daughter....but for tomorrow (well 6am today actually) that waves gonna be yours.

Side by Side...they've always been special words.

Thank you all for your kind words. Though things are tough, it's amazing how often in these days that I am buoyed by the kindness of strangers. And amongst the Collingwood family, kindness is never far from the surface.

I have got a friend to help me write a bit here as a thank you. I am not much use at putting things together these days so he is due some sympathy for deciphering my intent out of the random words I can manage.

It has been a wonderful thing being a Collingwood supporter. And that is the case regardless of how many flags we have won and lost in my lifetime. A flag is great, and don't get me wrong they have been moments to savour, but in the end its just a piece of fabric. People matter, people like you. And Collingwood people are the best. When things are at their darkest is when you can truly see the stars.

I remember even though things aren't working great. I remember my first premiership in 1990, and how good it felt partly because of how much we had suffered before it. And I remember that I knew it was coming, when I watched the 1986 season which in a lot of ways seemed like a disaster. But it was the year our U19 team, who would provide the core of the premiership team, won their own cup against North and began their journey that would end in the ultimate four years later. I was a lost and alone school kid, a city kid adrift in the country and a long way from home. And my team of choice was just another thing that isolated me from my peers. But I didn't give a s**t, even when the guys determined to make my life as s**t as possible heaped crap upon my black and white army. I knew pride, even then, and I knew that was Collingwood. And in the end, in spite of their certainty in their superiority, we were destined to claim the ultimate prize long before their drought ended. Life is funny that way. Life is always funny.

Though this year looks like being a tough one too, I think at some stage in 2015, it will be possible to see the same moment, when the youngsters begin to stand up and show the qualities that will see them rise towards the heights again. As tough as it might be at times, that's worth being around for.

If I can be forgiven for ripping off Martin Luther King again, I might not have been to the mountaintop, but I think I have seen the promised land. And I think this lot will get there. And though I wont be there to see it with you, I know it will be an exciting time ahead. And if things look dark at times this year, just look up and see the stars.

Lost for words Rey. We are all thinking about you.

Hi Reykjavic

Many of us have been watching this thread with sadness, but also with amazement. Your plight has really drawn this sometimes wild but always colourful Board together, unanimous in wishing you the very best, and unanimous in our admiration for you as a poster. Your most recent post epitomises what we love about your work.

There is a life force that runs through Collingwood. We all feel it, we all know it, its more than just football games. And you represent the best of that.

We mods have been discussing ways to recognise your work on Big Footy. We have 'Rekjavik's law', which we have to invoke occasionally.:eek: Anzacday has just suggested 'Rey time', which I can see taking off.:cry:

But we also propose to name a new annual award after you, the 'Reykjavic', to be awarded each year to the most creative poster on the Pies Board. We will provide more details later about the timing, nomination process and voting.

This may be just an internet forum, but your creative input has been outstanding. You really have set the bar high, and the first recipient of the 'Reykjavic' will be truly honoured.

love and best wishes from the Mods

Thoughts are also with you Rey - also lost for words but know you're a well respected and valued member of this board and community and should you need anything, just let us know.

Sidebyside mate

Just another one of the many who are lost for words.

Hang in there my man, I'm positive your perceived personality on this forum projects through to life - as this forum is a better place thanks to your posts, I know the world is a better place thanks to your mind.

We don't know each other but your posts never cease to provoke the deeper thoughts and considerations and it's truly staggering how you have that knack, that people such as myself can only dream of. I love the English language, and am always looking to improve on my ability to engage my readers, so I take heed in your offerings and always read what you write. I look forward to many more when you're back with us.

Good luck once again. Side by side, my friend.

#sidebysidewithreykjavik

Thank you all for your kind words. Though things are tough, it's amazing how often in these days that I am buoyed by the kindness of strangers.

Every relationship we build in this world is unique.

Every relationship affects us in some way, it helps mould who we are.

And it works vice versa, with every relationship we mould the world around us.

The economists call it a transaction, the physicists call it energy transfer, the Bhuddists call it karma.

The kindness around you is merely a reflection of the energy that you bring to those around you.

Believe that the amazement that you experience is a small insight into how amazing you are to those around you.

And amongst the Collingwood family, kindness is never far from the surface.

The Collingwood family is a rich patchwork quilt. It's made precious by the huge and wonderfully diverse and colourful pattern of fabrics all sewn together with a single thread of black and white. All of our patches are on there, they will forever be on there.

I have got a friend to help me write a bit here as a thank you. I am not much use at putting things together these days so he is due some sympathy for deciphering my intent out of the random words I can manage.

The keyboard and and the language may have become difficult for you to drive, but that hasn't obscured that your sharp mind behind those things remains very much intact. And behind the scenes I've had the good fortune to see that you haven't lost any of your wicked sense of humour either ;)

Take it one game at a time. First up Brisbane at the GABBA.

Make sure you get your tips in.

Last edited:
Not one of your own, but just seen this and am very touched by the story. Wishing you all the best in your fight Reykjavik. It's not about the size of the fight, it's about the size of the fight in the man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi there Reyk, very sorry to hear of what you're going through but congratulations on your ability to focus on the positives. I loved your post 108 in this thread (written with help from your friend).

Your post made me realise that win, lose or draw we can take a lot provided the boys give their all. Same with us supporters, eh?

Keep giving your all to your fight and know we are #sidebysidewithreykjavic

Thank you all for your kind words. Though things are tough, it's amazing how often in these days that I am buoyed by the kindness of strangers. And amongst the Collingwood family, kindness is never far from the surface.

It has been a wonderful thing being a Collingwood supporter. And that is the case regardless of how many flags we have won and lost in my lifetime. A flag is great, and don't get me wrong they have been moments to savour, but in the end its just a piece of fabric. People matter, people like you. And Collingwood people are the best. When things are at their darkest is when you can truly see the stars.

I remember even though things aren't working great. I remember my first premiership in 1990, and how good it felt partly because of how much we had suffered before it. And I remember that I knew it was coming, when I watched the 1986 season which in a lot of ways seemed like a disaster. But it was the year our U19 team, who would provide the core of the premiership team, won their own cup against North and began their journey that would end in the ultimate four years later. I was a lost and alone school kid, a city kid adrift in the country and a long way from home. And my team of choice was just another thing that isolated me from my peers. But I didn't give a s**t, even when the guys determined to make my life as s**t as possible heaped crap upon my black and white army. I knew pride, even then, and I knew that was Collingwood. And in the end, in spite of their certainty in their superiority, we were destined to claim the ultimate prize long before their drought ended. Life is funny that way. Life is always funny.

Though this year looks like being a tough one too, I think at some stage in 2015, it will be possible to see the same moment, when the youngsters begin to stand up and show the qualities that will see them rise towards the heights again. As tough as it might be at times, that's worth being around for.

If I can be forgiven for ripping off Martin Luther King again, I might not have been to the mountaintop, but I think I have seen the promised land. And I think this lot will get there. And though I wont be there to see it with you, I know it will be an exciting time ahead. And if things look dark at times this year, just look up and see the stars.

What a post Rey.

So pleased that you were one of us who experienced 1990 as their first Premiership after the years of pain.

Sometimes when I see the Dogs, Saints or Dees supporters trudge out of the ground after a loss, I think... 'I am so grateful to have experienced that moment in my lifetime - every footy supporter deserves it at least once'. 2010 and any flags that may follow will always be a bonus but nothing will ever quite capture the experience of the drought breaker. So glad you experienced it too.

Last edited:
Dear Reykjavic

Have come to this thread a number of times to post and haven't known what to say. What do you say to someone who you don't know but whose plight affects you. Despite not knowing you, each time I come onto BF it is the first thread I look at hoping all is still okay.

Not sure if it is the shared.... no not common interest, as supporting the Pies is more than an interest..... but the shared passion that bonds us that support this club, that leaves me sad.

Without knowing how you are, my hope ranges between this thing going away through to life giving you everything you want, need, deserve in the meantime.

I have shared your story with my family... a strangers story that has lead to an extra hug a day between my kids, wife and I. A strangers legacy to four strangers to you. Best wishes from the four of us, to you and those that love you.

Go Pies!!!

Words escape me Rey. All I can think of to say is Side by Side with you mate!

Reykjavik, I'm sorry not to have posted in this thread sooner, and now having seen it and I am doing so, I apologize for its inadequacy. I just don't have the ability to express what I'm feeling right now.

You have always been one of my favorite posters, I always pause and take the time to read your well-considered opinions which are insightful and so often tinged with just the right amount of humour.

What you're currently experiencing goes so far beyond football and the interwebs, it feels rude and presumptuous for me to imply that I could understand, but I feel the gravity of your words and wish that there was more that we could do to help you. You certainly are facing your lot in life with a boatload of class and you have my admiration and respect.

Rekyavik, I don't know your age, so cannot judge the perspective from which you are experiencing your illness.
What are your feelings, fears and insights into your own life now?
Have you learned something new about yourself or life?
Can you tell us anything that will help prepare us for the final journey?
If you feel like sharing any further thoughts with us the privilege would be ours entirely.:):D

Thanks for all your posts Rey, they make me feel as though your a friend I'd like to have. They're wonderfully written, left field, positive, cheeky, thought provoking and most of all witty. When, usually late at night after a sneaky few, I press the off button and go off to bed, I find myself smirking and even chuckling at something you've posted. The beloved safely assumes I've been up to no good. I blame you. They ask who, or what the hell is Reykjavik! You have brought me, and obviously many others much joy with your contributions. Thankyou. May there by lots of great victories, disappointing losses, and tumultuous goings on at the Pies ahead of you.
Reykjavik. Reykjavik, why the hell Reykjavik I've thought to myself. Icelandic? Nautical? Volcanologist? Why so locale specific and yet obscure?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back