News Early lessons learned

Remove this Banner Ad

A taste of senior football during the NAB Challenge meant Jordan De Goey knew exactly how to approach Thursday’s VFL practice match.

The 19-year-old was one of Collingwood’s best in its 118-point win over a Richmond side that was admittedly lacking in AFL experience.

But it was AFL experience that made all the difference for De Goey, who averaged 10.0 disposals and 2.0 tackles in his brief senior foray against Hawthorn and Carlton.

“My role was to play through the midfield, so I got good time in there, learned a lot of stuff and just got to work on some of the small things that I struggled with at the AFL level in the NAB Challenge,” De Goey toldcollingwoodfc.com.au after the match.

I can tell the early Signs are good and more Experience and he should just keep getting better and better.

I reckon he should play RD 1 in the Seniors even IF it is as a Sub

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2015-03-28/early-lessons-learned

Will he develop more playing a quarter as a sub or in a full VFL game?

Absolutely no rush to get De Goey in the team, Freeman is the next young kid in line
I may be wrong and happy to be corrected, but VFL doesn't start until the week after does it? So it could be a case of game vs no game. I wouldn't have freeman or de goey in my round 1 side regardless but just thinking

I may be wrong and happy to be corrected, but VFL doesn't start until the week after does it? So it could be a case of game vs no game. I wouldn't have freeman or de goey in my round 1 side regardless but just thinking

That's a good point but I'd expect them to have a VFL practice match anyway if the VFL hasn't officially started.

VFL Round 1 begins on the weekend of AFL Round 3 (April 19th).

Two practice matches between now and then though: April 4th (the day of our Brisbane game) and April 11th (a double header to the AFL game later in the day).

This is yet another example to be found in this forum of Dave's irrepressible desire to create threads.;):p:rolleyes:
Usually id agree with you but your missing the big picture.50,000 posts is the target and nothing is gona stand in daves way of reachin said target before end of round one.The romantic in me would like to see dave's 50,000 post describing grundys first goal for the season comin against lions in openin minutes to get our season underway.:p

Usually id agree with you but your missing the big picture.50,000 posts is the target and nothing is gona stand in daves way of reachin said target before end of round one.The romantic in me would like to see dave's 50,000 post describing grundys first goal for the season comin against lions in openin minutes to get our season underway.:p
Your fanciful wisps of sentiment do not alter the cold hard facts. Dave opens threads more often than I do cans of beer.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dave, you don't need to capitalise and bold every time you write the word 'if'. Just keep it plain like the rest of them.

Personally I like TD's use of IF. It's his trademark.

Will he develop more playing a quarter as a sub or in a full VFL game?

Absolutely no rush to get De Goey in the team, Freeman is the next young kid in line

Well, what I seen over the Pre-Season. De Goey is way ahead of Freeman at the Moment and Also helps that De Goey is not injured where Freeman just had a Tweak with his Hammy on Tuesday

Well, what I seen over the Pre-Season. De Goey is way ahead of Freeman at the Moment and Also helps that De Goey is not injured where Freeman just had a Tweak with his Hammy on Tuesday
I suspect that Freeman is going to be another Ben Reid, here one week, gone the next 8. That is what my pessimistic little mind is telling me following Freeman's debut year and his inauspicious start to this year.

I suspect that Freeman is going to be another Ben Reid, here one week, gone the next 8. That is what my pessimistic little mind is telling me following Freeman's debut year and his inauspicious start to this year.

Well I hope that is not the Future Freeman

No reason Freeman and De Goey can't play round 1 with De Goey as sub anyway.
Freeman? What has he done to deserve a game other than injure a hammy! The season start is next week - you are aware of that, I assume? Hasn't escaped your best 22 calculations? Of course, if you don't care about the facts getting in the way .......... .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back