Sustainable Power

Remove this Banner Ad

Our corporate commercial income is now at record levels. The increased revenue will be spent on football operations to make sure the premiership window can be flung open.

Kochie says
“We’re entering a period of opportunity for our team, they need to be resourced properly and we need to be a club that resources them so they can reach their potential,” Koch said.
“Two years ago we were number 15 in terms of football department spend, this year I think we will be eight-to-sixth.
Kochie says

Did I hear correctly that Kochie said that he expects Port to be a contributor to the AFL's equalization fund next year, not a benefactor recipient?

Last edited:
Why wouldn't that be a target of ours and in addition it should be an achievable target.

It makes me think back to John James and his short reign where it was about attracting the youth market. Maybe some of his hard work is paying off now.

Did I hear correctly that Kochie said that he expects Port to be a contributor to the AFL's equalization fund next year, not a benefactor?

1 part truth, 1 part spin imo. He aims to be, but the truth is he more than likely just wanted to spread the word to further increase our profile and dispel the 'have nots' theory. In reality, we probably will be a benefactor for a bit yet, but who knows - we have seen some incredible results, but the SANFL and SMA still linger.

We will and we should. We are in one of the strongest football holdings states in Australia. It should be able to sustain 2 teams with a profit if the structure is established correctly.

Our national strategy and plan has been magnificent and executed brilliantly all the board needs a slap on the back.

From news.com.au

The Power this season will attract a record $13 million in corporate backing - more than double the $5.5 million in 2013 when the Sydney-based Koch started...

Just shows how remarkable our turn around has been. I wonder how much more corporate revenue we can attain in the next 2-3 years.

Can we attract another joint major sponsor?

This is literally KT at family day these days brother:

24xidyx.jpg

First though when I saw this it was about Wave Power -its the only 24/7 sustainable power I know. $13mil hasn't been locked in just yet but its obviously a very achievable budget figure.

Our engagement with our corporates is as good as that with our fans. Thats the key - and as Keith said on Thursday night its about Knowledge, Care and Trust between each other. We have another big one coming next week and hopefully a seed that was planted - pun intended - at the season launch, we have another one coming in a month or two's time, at the lower level, but its still another one.

If we assume the $13mil is achieved , where does this place against the other 17 teams?? (apologies if this has been asked and answered somewhere else).
Go to the footy industry board and see the Wookies thread on the 2014 clubs annual report thread. He has done a breakdown of clubs major revenue and expense items. But not all clubs report the same way so you will get an indicative guide rather than definitive answer.

Why wouldn't that be a target of ours and in addition it should be an achievable target.

It makes me think back to John James and his short reign where it was about attracting the youth market. Maybe some of his hard work is paying off now.
Remember in the first Power years the players hit the primary schools with visits, packs, clinics & the like. Thought back then this was an excellent strategy, hit them when they're young & impressionable. These kids are all grown up with incomes now and perhaps remember the effort from those earlier days.
You reap what you sowp & you get what you deserve.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did I hear correctly that Kochie said that he expects Port to be a contributor to the AFL's equalization fund next year, not a benefactor?
Well contributor and benefactor would be synonyms in this context. Perhaps beneficiary rather than benefactor? But the expectation is we'd be putting in rather than taking out.
Fate is weird, potentially the first time we will make a profit in forever and the new rules mean we have to hand some over. I wonder if the fact we have a lot of debt to begin paying off gives us any right to hold a few notes back? I'd have thought the equalisation formula would have considered that?

Last edited:
Well contributor and benefactor would be synonyms in this context. Perhaps benefactor rather than beneficiary? But the expectation is we'd be putting in rather than taking out.
Fate is weird, potentially the first time we will make a profit in forever and the new rules mean we have to hand some over. I wonder if the fact we have a lot of debt to begin paying off gives us any right to hold a few notes back? I'd have thought the equalisation formula would have considered that?
True. I'll go with recipient then.

#malcom

Can we attract another joint major sponsor?

As REH points out, there's only room for two.
Above-the-line corporate sponsorship revenue conduits are finite.
Value goes up or down depending on on-field performance and off-field persona, promotion and overall image.

What is seriously needed to secure long-term sustainability is less obvious below-the-line alternative revenue streams... and this is where Power Community Limited come in.
PCL (separate thread) is where in turn the new GM, Andrew Hunter, and his job description come in.
It's happening. Less spectacular, but it's happening. KT used the word 'traction' in his speech on Thursday.

If we assume the $13mil is achieved , where does this place against the other 17 teams?? (apologies if this has been asked and answered somewhere else).
If you haven't found the thread that RussellEbertHandball directed you to, thanks to The_Wookie:

Sponsorship and Marketing
  • Collingwood - $19,326,637, down from $19,650,141
  • Essendon - $17,690,850, up from $16,837,899
  • Sydney - $17,089,855, up from $14,645,407
  • Geelong - $16,251,281, down from $17,039,348
  • Hawthorn -$15,093,510, down from $15,226,374
  • Carlton - $13,602,675, up from 12,217,695
  • Brisbane - $11,207,630, down from $11,225,023
  • North - $7,856,770, up from $7,431,89
  • GWS - $7,808,396, down from $9,195,289
  • Bulldogs - $7,519,934, up from $7,183,310
  • West Coast - $7,498,870, down from $7,656,558
  • Melbourne - $6,970,924, up from $6,368,135
  • Gold Coast - $6,620,920, up from $5,839,834
  • St Kilda - $5,560,928, down from $7,081,080
  • Richmond - $4,700,000 (net)
  • Fremantle - $4,523,207, up from $4,354,881
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2014-annual-reports-and-media.1079199/

Last edited:
To give you a comparison with Adelaide, (2014 accounts arent available on line) the crows probably added $3mil to their corporates in 2014 to the 2013 numbers below, may be even $4mil and will add another $1-$2mil you would think in 2015 given the success of AO and being able put up fees etc. I havent heard they have picked up any 2nd tiered new sponsors.

upload_2015-3-28_16-12-29.png

Thanks guys. Will better familiarise with the search function and this thread.

If you go to the main board ie the AFL - The Australian Football League , they have several sub boards that directly relate to the AFL and you dont see if you hit the forums button. You only see the link to AFL - The Australian Football League. The sub forums are as per below

upload_2015-3-28_16-16-2.png

Thanks guys. Will better familiarise with the search function and this thread.
Ohps I didnt realise you were a newbie when I first responded. My phone Bigfooty version doesnt display member info like my computer version does.

Ohps I didnt realise you were a newbie when I first responded. My phone Bigfooty version doesnt display member info like my computer version does.
All good you answered my question and then some. Given me some reading options before the footy season kicks off. Thanks again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back