Resource Saturday Sporting Globe

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 7, 2005
melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawthorn
the Saturday Sporting Globe was an institution in Melbourne, known as the pink paper, it ran from the mid 50's i beleive until the end of 1979, after that, the Saturday Sporting Globe ceased, and the Sunday Press newspaper was started in 1980.

The Saturday globe carried in depth details of all the 6 football games played earlier that afternoon, with quarter by quarter reviews of each game, and also carried all the Saturday racing results as well, and would preview the Sunday VFA games to be played the following day.

I am trying to obtain old copies of the Saturday globe for seasons 1977-1979 only, there are several issues for sale on ebay, but not for the years i am looking for.

A couple of places in Melbourne have them, such as Gardenvale collectables, Abra cardabra roycroft in Kew, and Camberwell antiques, cookson st, Camberwell.

If anyone has any old issues of Sporting Globe for these years, i would love to hear from you, in my opinion, it was a better paper than inside football.

the Saturday Sporting Globe was an institution in Melbourne, known as the pink paper, it ran from the mid 50's i beleive until the end of 1979, after that, the Saturday Sporting Globe ceased, and the Sunday Press newspaper was started in 1980.

The Saturday globe carried in depth details of all the 6 football games played earlier that afternoon, with quarter by quarter reviews of each game, and also carried all the Saturday racing results as well, and would preview the Sunday VFA games to be played the following day.

I am trying to obtain old copies of the Saturday globe for seasons 1977-1979 only, there are several issues for sale on ebay, but not for the years i am looking for.

A couple of places in Melbourne have them, such as Gardenvale collectables, Abra cardabra roycroft in Kew, and Camberwell antiques, cookson st, Camberwell.

If anyone has any old issues of Sporting Globe for these years, i would love to hear from you, in my opinion, it was a better paper than inside football.

Good luck with finding any issues for those late 1970s years. Not a Melb resident myself but Carnegie Collectables in Camberwell was a place I've visited in past and seen some SG issues.

As far as I know the Sporting Globe began in about 1922 and has much footy in it from then on. Issues up until end of 1954 are due to be loaded onto the National Library's Trove site over the next 12 months. https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper

Good luck with finding any issues for those late 1970s years. Not a Melb resident myself but Carnegie Collectables in Camberwell was a place I've visited in past and seen some SG issues.

As far as I know the Sporting Globe began in about 1922 and has much footy in it from then on. Issues up until end of 1954 are due to be loaded onto the National Library's Trove site over the next 12 months. https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper

Carnegie Collectables were in Ormond, and they closed down earlier this year. I have contacted them on several occasions about old issues of the globe, but they have never got back to me.

The Melbourne State Library should have microfilm of the Sporting Globe for 1977 to 1979. Not as good as owning your own copies but you can print pages off or save them onto a memory stick.

The Melbourne State Library should have microfilm of the Sporting Globe for 1977 to 1979. Not as good as owning your own copies but you can print pages off or save them onto a memory stick.

i must get to the State Library one day, i just never seem to have the time, bloody work! :)

Great news (but patience still required).

The National Library Trove newspapers website has started to prepare the Sporting Globe for reading access.
More than 10,000 articles from 1954 so far.

It'll be a little while before the first articles become "live" but in the meantime you can start to capture
the dates and page numbers needed for your project or items of interest.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/result?l-state=Victoria&l-title=875&q=

The Saturday Herald also used to go to press about 5.30pm and would have match reports on the day's games and race results.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got copies of that and the replacement from 1985 the Weekend Herald, which was a tabloid.

Hey Pazza

I have managed to get to the state Library twice in recent months now, and managed to copy for myself on a USB, sporting Globes 1978 and 1979, Hawthorn match reviews, as well as Saturday evening herald, Hawthorn match reviews for 1982-1983, its a long process, but worth it.

Am i getting the sporting globe mixed up with another newspaper ?, but i remember it primarily as a horse racing guide ?, was it pink in colour.

perhaps i am thinking of the truth ?

fabulousphil

Sporting Globe was pink - horse racing primarily with a bit of other sport

I don't remember it as a Saturday paper, was there a mid week edition ?, remember reading it as a kid, but midweek.
The Truth was a mix of horse racing form and softcore pr0n.

Yep, was pretty good :), i remember reading Jack Dyers column ......... Dyer here ( ?) maybe ... Dyer ere

The Sporting Globe in most years of publication was made up of a Saturday (evening) edition and a mid-week one, only becoming a "mid-week" weekly in last few years i.e. late '80s (?) into the 1990s. It would be a major source for football research from 1922 to about 1985 I suspect.

The Saturday's edition not only including senior VFL & VFA matches, but also a fair chunk of Reserves matches (including team lists !). The Wednesday edition would include general stories, plus from about 1956 to 1985 the weekly votes (3-2-1) for the Bunton Medal: http://sportandhistory.com/footballawards/bunton.html

A senior match report would often include the quarter by quarter compilation of individual scoring shots, and for finals at least from mid-50s onwards the kicks marks & frees for each player in a match.

During the 1930s, a person named "Dave Stewart" I think, also compiled k, m, frees, and shots for goal for one match per round.

The Globe also has numerous player, admin & umpire reminiscences.

The Sporting Globe in most years of publication was made up of a Saturday (evening) edition and a mid-week one, only becoming a "mid-week" weekly in last few years i.e. late '80s (?) into the 1990s. It would be a major source for football research from 1922 to about 1985 I suspect.

The Saturday's edition not only including senior VFL & VFA matches, but also a fair chunk of Reserves matches (including team lists !). The Wednesday edition would include general stories, plus from about 1956 to 1985 the weekly votes (3-2-1) for the Bunton Medal: http://sportandhistory.com/footballawards/bunton.html

A senior match report would often include the quarter by quarter compilation of individual scoring shots, and for finals at least from mid-50s onwards the kicks marks & frees for each player in a match.

During the 1930s, a person named "Dave Stewart" I think, also compiled k, m, frees, and shots for goal for one match per round.

The Globe also has numerous player, admin & umpire reminiscences.

i am hoping we hear about the Shinboners before 1935 from this publication

Great news (but patience still required).

The National Library Trove newspapers website has started to prepare the Sporting Globe for reading access.
More than 10,000 articles from 1954 so far.

It'll be a little while before the first articles become "live" but in the meantime you can start to capture
the dates and page numbers needed for your project or items of interest.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/result?l-state=Victoria&l-title=875&q=

UPDATE:

Looks like another 100,000 articles from the 1940s & early 1950s have been loaded for initial searching (but not reading yet).

had a glance at the 1945 set - seems that the paper might have only published a mid-week edition for latter portion of WW2 as I cannot yet see any issue datelined on a Saturday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back