EXPANDING the SANFL - PROMOTION and RELEGATION ... its time!

Should the SANFL adopt promotion + relegation?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

With a Gawler team you might find a similar scenario to Bendigo Bombers. More people were interested in their local team eg South Bendigo or Kangaroo Flat than the Bendigo VFL team.

Bendigo problems was that there was a name change every few years and people lost interest. That's the difference between a league mainly comprised of AFL reserves, and a SA league with only 2 AFL reserves. A Gawler team comprised of players from the Gawler/Barossa League and nearby NOrth Eastern and Adelaide plains leagues, all of which have talented players who would easily be competitive. Same with a Hills team.

A hills based team may well be competitive on field, but would garner very little support outside of friends and family of those involved. I'd imagine most people in the area already have an AFL, SANFL and HFL team they support, and there are only so many hours in the weekend. Yes, personally I would have a 'soft spot' for any hills team and follow them casually, but attending is another matter.

Centrals would never let a Gawler team happen.

exactly. the BLG league is THE feeder for centrals. wouldn't happen.

maybe sturt shifting to mt barker as was thrown around a few years ago was 1 option to expand to some degree, not that it adds a team..

Sturt at Mt Barker won't happen. No one would travel up there in winter. The talk of expansion is just that, talk and something not even discussed by the league. There's enough financial and structural challenges in State footy that need sorting out before frigging expansion. Introduce a transfer system where state league clubs get remunerated properly for developing players and then we can discuss future plans. I reckon SANFL clubs got better remuneration for player going to the VFL in the 80's than what they get now. It's a joke.

I would make sense to trial a few 'new' teams in the SANFL reserves before moving them to League.. I bet the likes of TTG or Mt Barker Districts would clean up!

Not unless the AFL does it first - it's either all in (aka English soccer divisions) or none at all.

After the trial game between Port Adelaide and Goodwood I think relegation simply won't work. Gulf is huge.

In other thoughts here is my fantasy SANFL league.

1. Port Adelaide Magpies
  2. South Adelaide Panthers
  3. Norwood Redlegs
  4. Woodville-West Torrens Eagles
  5. Sturt Double Blues
  6. North Adelaide Roosters
  7. West Adelaide Bloods
  8. Glenelg Tigers
  9. Elizabeth Bulldogs
  10. Adelaide City Crows
  11. Victor Harbour Penguins
  12. Mount Barker Kangaroos
  13. Tea Tree Gully Wolves
  14. Gawler Lions
  15. Broken Hill Nuggets
  16. Mount Gambier Lakers
  17. Port Lincoln Sharks
  18. Murray Bridge Bunyips

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After the trial game between Port Adelaide and Goodwood I think relegation simply won't work. Gulf is huge.

1. Port Adelaide Magpies
  3. Norwood Redlegs
  5. Sturt Double Blues
  7. West Adelaide Bloods
  8. Glenelg Tigers
  9. Elizabeth Bulldogs
  10. Adelaide City Crows
  14. Gawler Lions
  15. Broken Hill Nuggets
  16. Mount Gambier Lakers
  17. Port Lincoln Sharks

THIS WOULD BE AMAZING!! :D

Surely the gap wouldn't be that different from the AFL 1st + 18th.. look at the gap in some of the games over the weekend..

1. Port Adelaide Magpies
  3. Norwood Redlegs
  5. Sturt Double Blues
  7. West Adelaide Bloods
  8. Glenelg Tigers
  9. Elizabeth Bulldogs
  10. Adelaide City Crows
  14. Gawler Lions
  15. Broken Hill Nuggets
  16. Mount Gambier Lakers
  17. Port Lincoln Sharks

replace Broken Hill with the Spencer Gulf Dolphins. Whyalla, Port Augusta and Port Pirie have a combined pop of well over 50,000 - way above Broken Hill

Sturt at Mt Barker won't happen. No one would travel up there in winter. The talk of expansion is just that, talk and something not even discussed by the league. There's enough financial and structural challenges in State footy that need sorting out before frigging expansion. Introduce a transfer system where state league clubs get remunerated properly for developing players and then we can discuss future plans. I reckon SANFL clubs got better remuneration for player going to the VFL in the 80's than what they get now. It's a joke.

Mount Barker (32.7km from Victoria Square) isn't really that much farther to travel than Elizabeth Oval (27.4km) or Hickinbotham Oval (30.8km) is for most supporters. It's probably more of a direct drive, too, due to most of it being freeway driving. Granted, the weather up there is terrible in winter, but it's usually just a harsher reflection of the city weather anyway. Considering the vast expansion of housing and population that has occured there over the past 15 years, it'd have to be a prime candidate for a team if SANFL expansion ever did occur.

A relegation system won't work. If a foundation club gets relegated it will be the death of them.

Don't mind adding two clubs, preferably one from Mount Gambier. Footy there has gone backwards since the big Victorian clubs left the WBFL. Talented kids need a higher level.

I don't think the level would drop personally.

If they recruit well then there is no reason why a new club or two city couldn't be competitive. Plenty of talent and potential talent across the state and intrastate from both SANFL and non SANFL backgrounds and clubs that would no doubt be interested in new opportunities, and new clubs always provide these.

Could league expansion work with AFL reserve sides? As you expand the level of play inevitably drops but the reserves teams stay at the same level.

So the AFL reserves sides set the bar - sounds good to me! :)

There is plenty of untapped talent playing in Mt Gambier + the Iron Triangle region that would immediately compete at SANFL standard.. or even set the bar higher. Just look at the SA country v SA city score at the end of the curtain raiser for Port v Sydney.

Back