Opinion Butcher

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
BUTCH

If he can fling himself around in the forward line like he did running with the flight of the ball in his freak soccer goal highlight, that'll be huge for our forward line.

How can you not like this guy. He's had a lot of poo flung at him- over the past couple years- if there's one guy I want to see make it, it's him.

Well done. However, Butch is entering his 6th season...
Yikes, I counted that one out wrong. My mind just thought 2010... 2015. 5 years. Der.

You're both right.

Because of his back/hips he didn't so much as competitively train in his first 6-9 months at Albetr0n, let alone play.

He might've played a game or two for the Magpies late in 2010, I can't remember, but he may as well have stayed in Maffra until the 10/11 preseason.

You're both right.

Because of his back/hips he didn't so much as competitively train in his first 6-9 months at Albetr0n, let alone play.

He might've played a game or two for the Magpies late in 2010, I can't remember, but he may as well have stayed in Maffra until the 10/11 preseason.

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone with a worse injury/sickness history than Butch.

(not including blokes with ACL problems)*
(Gumby no longer plays)**

People need to get used to Shulz playing a different role now that we have more good options in attack.

Especially for teams with only one good key defender like the Crows.

Expect Shulz to lead Talia on a merry dance and us to kick to Westhoff, Ryder and Butcher more and more.

Just because he doesn't get the raw numbers doesn't mean he isn't playing a good team game.

I feel like I'm losing a bit of my BigFooty identity with all the recent widespread support for Butch :)

You'll have to start a Sam Gray fan club or something. I miss my identity as the 'Hitchcock isn't a total spud you guys' poster. I can only piggyback off of 'I loved Tom Jonas before it was cool' for so long.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'll have to start a Sam Gray fan club or something. I miss my identity as the 'Hitchcock isn't a total spud you guys' poster. I can only piggyback off of 'I loved Tom Jonas before it was cool' for so long.
Can you imagine how smug I'll be if Butcher has a good season.

I'll be unbearable.

Can you imagine how smug I'll be if Butcher has a good season.

I'll be unbearable.

Top ten key forward realises the potential everyone who supports this club and has a clue about football has seen since day one. That doesn't prove you were right about him last season :p

You wait until I start quoting posts.

I'll agree there's been some people who have been...how should we say...robust about their negative estimation of John. I've always said that he needs one game to feel like he's an AFL player - but that game wasn't last year for whatever reason. Just because some people didn't agree with the "play a third tall at all costs" mantra when there may have been weaknesses in John's defensive game that we weren't aware of as mere spectators doesn't mean they didn't want Butcher to succeed.

The others though...who belittled one of our listed players and said he will never make it...they deserve everything they get.

I'm not going to argue that people didn't want Butch to succeed. I'm going to argue that they made bad arguments about Butcher's immediate and long term future.

Remember that a lot on this forum would have delisted him last season if given the chance, leaving us with a very green Mason Shaw and Mitch Harvey as our backups should Schulz or Westhoff get injured.

But we still have a long way to go before I can be smug about anything.

Butch is a bonus esp without Ryder.
His field kicking is better than passable
feed off him like McGuiness did to Rehn
there's something zany 'bout this Dude
He's exciting coz I don't know what to expect
and he usually delivers.

Wait I thought we were done with Butch.
43334-megan-fox-bitch-get-out-gif-yBSu.gif

Will be super serious.

Even if Butcher shows zero improvement, it'd be a terrible list management decision to delist him considering the age of our current key forwards.

Shaw/Harvey/Dougie kicking a bag of goal at AFL level would change things but right now Butcher is still a pretty big piece to our future. Worst case is that we use him as a stop gap forward.

I don't subscribe to the idea that Butcher's got to play a lot of AFL or he'll be delisted. I don't think anyone here has that idea but Chris McDermott seems to think he's got to play about 20 games this year or else. He's got some pretty good players to get past no matter how well he plays. And then there's always the question of team balance. I'd be satisfied if he gets 5-10 games, does OK in the AFL and is one of the best in the SANFL .

I don't subscribe to the idea that Butcher's got to play a lot of AFL or he'll be delisted. I don't think anyone here has that idea but Chris McDermott seems to think he's got to play about 20 games this year or else. He's got some pretty good players to get past no matter how well he plays. And then there's always the question of team balance. I'd be satisfied if he gets 5-10 games, does OK in the AFL and is one of the best in the SANFL .

Yeah look, he'll still be just 24 in July. And Schulz didn't seriously come good until 25 and a half.

A club like Hawthorn could afford to move on from the likes of Beau Dowler and Mitch Thorp relatively quickly because they literally held pocket aces in Roughead and Franklin.

Given our circumstances there's more than enough evidence to hold onto JoBu for some time yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back