Preview AFL Round 1 - Hawthorn v Geelong, MCG, Monday April 6 3.20PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Crawley will get ripped apart. For me it's what hawthorn does, or geelong doesn't do, when the ball hits the ground.

And I'm worried about losing centre bounces. We could get murdered on the ground in your forward liberal.

Yeah our forward line pressure and run off half back are probably the two biggest components to our game that Im sure that cats will be aiming to thwart, you are normally very good at limiting our run and forcing us to blaze aimlessly into the forward line.

Yeah our forward line pressure and run off half back are probably the two biggest components to our game that Im sure that cats will be aiming to thwart.
It's the key.
But we've lacked midfield pressure to make that easier to achieve.

If we beat you, we are top 4 worthy.
If we lose by 6 as I expect, 6th is about right.

It's the key.
But we've lacked midfield pressure to make that easier to achieve.

If we beat you, we are top 4 worthy.
If we lose by 6 as I expect, 6th is about right.

I think the cats will be top 4 again, people always say this will be the year they will drop but it never happens. Great recruiting and player development at Geelong top club.

I think the cats will be top 4 again, people always say this will be the year they will drop but it never happens. Great recruiting and player development at Geelong top club.
Give it a few weeks. Then we'll know. It's a fine line.
Development vs what you can actually achieve.

One thing that will be fairly damning on opposition coaches in the AFL this season is if they haven't by now figured out how to dissect Clarksons game plan. Usually top teams in the modern era have had their game plan dissected (to some degree at least) by opposition coaches which limits their ability to have premiership success in consecutive seasons let alone three in a row. First Geelong was meant to be unbeatable following 2007, Clarkos cluster tore us apart in the 2008 Granny before that was torn apart by opposition coaches in 2009/10, then (despite their ultimate lack of premiership success) StKilda was up there with Ross Lyons defensive game plan, Collingwood's forward press was meant to be unbeatable following 2010, before our physical long kicking gamestyle was able to defeat it in 2011. The Hawks have been playing a similar disciplined crowding the contest winning the ball before spotting up targets with short sharp kicking in to the forward line style for 3 years now with 2 flags to show for it but it seems nobody has really been able to tactically dissect it yet....Maybe Hinkley did a bit in last years prelim with Ports breakneck speed football. Anyway for mine that will be an interesting subplot of the 2015 season.

Last edited:
Mine? I'm trying to redeem myself for my unpopular views on Blitz. :thumbsu:
No need to feel that way. You're entitled to whatever opinion on Blitz you like:thumbsu:

And on here there are plenty of different views on him.

Lets keep it on topic. R1 2015. Anything else is sort of redundant and not for this thread really.

Hawks are their peak , Geelong is in rebuild with a deficiency in midfield players at the right age and experience. Still sides can be beaten by sides less than them but all things being equal most would pick Haw to win most games this year , no matter who they play and we are no different.
And don't their supporters know it-out of control on main board! We really must put them back in their box. Comon Geelong.

Mine? I'm trying to redeem myself for my unpopular views on Blitz. :thumbsu:
Don't be afraid to have an unpopular opinion mate. There's nothing wrong with that. Speaking for myself only, I just don't like it when somebody goes on a personal crusade to denegrate a player whom they don't like, for whatever reason. But by all means, call it as you see it! :)

And don't their supporters know it-out of control on main board! We really must put them back in their box. Comon Geelong.
I really blame our lack of fitness in second halves last year as the main reason we were beaten by the Hawks. If you look at our last two games against them we were 6 goals up on them in round 22, pretty much level with them in the first final before on both occasions they overran us. I don't think we'll see fade-outs like that this year from the Cats, it definitely seems like our conditioning has improved. In short I wouldn't be anywhere near as cocky if I were them.

Don't be afraid to have an unpopular opinion mate. There's nothing wrong with that. Speaking for myself only, I just don't like it when somebody goes on a personal crusade to denegrate a player whom they don't like, for whatever reason. But by all means, call it as you see it! :)
I guarantee I wasn't doing that with Blitz, although I can see why it may have come across that way. I want him to be the player many think he'll be but all I was trying to say is I don't see it. :D

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really blame our lack of fitness in second halves last year as the main reason we were beaten by the Hawks. If you look at our last two games against them we were 6 goals up on them in round 22, pretty much level with them in the first final before on both occasions they overran us. I don't think we'll see fade-outs like that this year from the Cats, it definitely seems like our conditioning has improved. In short I wouldn't be anywhere near as cocky if I were them.
Yep agree - we already look in better shape this year, think the players' body's look a little leaner-have we got a new fitness guy? And really -how long can the Hawks peak last? Hodgey, Burgoyne, Mitchell, Lake-sooo old! They have had an excellent run-time to run them down!

Key match ups Lake on Hawkins Frawley on Clarke should be two ripping contests that could go a fair way to deciding the outcome.
You disregarded a previous post but dream on here, Mitch C will treat Danny boy with contempt. More important matches, good luck!

Haha! Oh mate, you should go and have a look at the corresponding thread over on the Hawks board. For a team that has just won 2 flags they're an insecure bunch, that's for sure. All I did was suggest that Motlop is a better player than Rioli and the whole thread went into melt-down! :D

Their supporters just aren't capable of conversing with opposition supporters it seems. I can only imagine what they would be like after a 3-peat! :eek:

I'm not sure of that, we would be pretty cocky with two in the row.

They are a know commodity.Even just today I heard us called the biggest X factor of the season. Just what will Clark do for us. Cockatoo will do minimal really but he may add the odd sparkle here or there. The big factor on how we go will be how fit we are, how fit we stay , how many of the non-names step up and and having a decent run with injuries.

I think we did well in the 07-11 years with injuries but since then its like the Footy genie has been squaring the ledger. If Cowan, Vardy and Menzel stay fit all year it would be a huge mental lift within the club , no matter how many games they play. If we actually get games from them my gues it would be a huge lift.

Haha! Oh mate, you should go and have a look at the corresponding thread over on the Hawks board. For a team that has just won 2 flags they're an insecure bunch, that's for sure. All I did was suggest that Motlop is a better player than Rioli and the whole thread went into melt-down! :D

Their supporters just aren't capable of conversing with opposition supporters it seems. I can only imagine what they would be like after a 3-peat! :eek:

you are lucky to still be posting.

Hahah you are a brave man. Nobody is allowed to question Cyril's worth! I like him a lot, great to watch but they'd have him bog in last year's GF -zero perspective.

Hahah you are a brave man. Nobody is allowed to question Cyril's worth! I like him a lot, great to watch but they'd have him bog in last year's GF -zero perspective.
Talking about Cyril v Motlop I'm really looking for Mots to go to another level this year, especially with his consistency. Really he should be impacting most games this year.

Because out of the other 17 remaining clubs they know we are one of the few that can get them. Us, Swans and Port. That's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back