Preview AFL Round 1 - Hawthorn v Geelong, MCG, Monday April 6 3.20PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because out of the other 17 remaining clubs they know we are one of the few that can get them. Us, Swans and Port. That's it.
I think North would have to be on that list too. No doubt we still send a few shivers up Hawks fans spines, you don't lose 10 or 11 or whatever games in a row against a team and not fear them deeply in your soul....If Hawks fans have souls.

Talking about Cyril v Motlop I'm really looking for Mots to go to another level this year, especially with his consistency. Really he should be impacting most games this year.
Pass, there is nothing to suggest this year will b Rioli v Motlop. Mots is class in the here & now, Cyril was class that needs to produce again,

Hawk up n about early on lake will mean big time pressure on frawley v mitch ? Who do u back in ? Talk has been the what if's w hawthorns strengths, the superlatives are if the likes of motz, caddy & duncan are up creating n finishing what sel is inspiring.

I think North would have to be on that list too. No doubt we still send a few shivers up Hawks fans spines, you don't lose 10 or 11 or whatever games in a row against a team and not fear them deeply in your soul....If Hawks fans have souls.

North can get them.
And someone else always emerges.

I hate to be a grammar Nazi but it's "Norf". Thanks guys.

Talking about Cyril v Motlop I'm really looking for Mots to go to another level this year, especially with his consistency. Really he should be impacting most games this year.

Yep -last year his season got wrecked by injuries-if he is fit- big plus for us.

Was about to say what romeoh has just outlined. Mots had knee issues towards the end of 2013, played in the Aussie team in Ireland, came back and rested his knee over summer then had an op in late January. He didn't get back playing until May. I don't think he really hit top gear last season (he said he'd bulked up a bit and that can take a while to get used to) but he's looking pretty sharp this preseason.
I hope he can show more consistency, as you've said, and probably any improvement in his defensive play wouldn't go astray, either.

Hawk up n about early on lake will mean big time pressure on frawley v mitch ? Who do u back in ? Talk has been the what if's w hawthorns strengths, the superlatives are if the likes of motz, caddy & duncan are up creating n finishing what sel is inspiring.
Whoever Frawley goes to, isolate him deep in attack!

Whoever Frawley goes to, isolate him deep in attack!
If we can do that its a big +1 they have to think about, and if our 3rd marking or rolling fwd - beit buckets walker or kirsten can draw space away from hawk n clark itz even more of a worry for them, don't forget stokesy being front n square....he was aa contension last yr b4 he went down

Was about to say what romeoh has just outlined. Mots had knee issues towards the end of 2013, played in the Aussie team in Ireland, came back and rested his knee over summer then had an op in late January. He didn't get back playing until May. I don't think he really hit top gear last season (he said he'd bulked up a bit and that can take a while to get used to) but he's looking pretty sharp this preseason.
I hope he can show more consistency, as you've said, and probably any improvement in his defensive play wouldn't go astray, either.
Yeah I know he had knee issues, it came at the worst time as he seemed to be taking off toward the end of 2013. I just want to see the match winner version of Motlop bob up more this year especially when the match is on the line. I know he has it in him.

Yeah I know he had knee issues, it came at the worst time as he seemed to be taking off toward the end of 2013. I just want to see the match winner version of Motlop bob up more this year especially when the match is on the line. I know he has it in him.
You aren't alone, BC :) We're with you all the way on that!
Can't wait to see more of those wonderful checkside goals of his- he really is an exciting young sure to watch. :)
Here are some of his highlights:

Unfortunately he doesn't tend to be a big goalkicker against the Hawks- averages only 0.5 goals per game, though his overall average is 1.3. Hopefully with his knees all A-OK now and with the rumoured increased fitness, we will see better output from him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha! Oh mate, you should go and have a look at the corresponding thread over on the Hawks board. For a team that has just won 2 flags they're an insecure bunch, that's for sure. All I did was suggest that Motlop is a better player than Rioli and the whole thread went into melt-down! :D

Their supporters just aren't capable of conversing with opposition supporters it seems. I can only imagine what they would be like after a 3-peat! :eek:
No mate, I had a quick look before. And sorry, I didn't read all your posts.

But you banged on for 4 pages.
I have no idea how you survived. Write a book on it.

Just need a few of these and she'll be right!
vMY0V3.gif

No mate, I had a quick look before. And sorry, I didn't read all your posts.

But you banged on for 4 pages.
I have no idea how you survived. Write a book on it.
Haha! I didn't bang on for 4 pages. I was just responding to the posters that were quoting me, which I'm quite entitled to do. What I will say is that it made me realise that our board is much more tolerant of opposition posters than what theirs is. I know that for a fact now.

North can get them.
And someone else always emerges.

North aernt much good - i cant believe a team that got totally demolished by 80 points in a PF - are being so hyped up on the back of signing a 32 year old - and Higgins who looks like hes lost a yard

As for Geelongs chances - i read some where that Birchall ( injured) could miss this game that would help our cause - however i give the Cats virtually zero chance - maybe 5-6% chance at best - rain would help our cause - biggest problem playing current Hawthorn side - is overcoming their possession game - getting the ball off them when theve got it - they can start it from deep in defence - those 4 or 5 little kicks-passes - and its the same players - Hodge - Burgoyne - Mitchell - Birchall when hes fit - how do you stop that - very difficult - Fremantle ( who are a pretty good side ) found that out in an early game last year - they just could not get the ball back off them - and got annihilated

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading a bunch of the Hawks thread over there, they are well into themselves. And B2B they should be I guess.

That said, lets punch them in the throat. Play the 3 big Forwards. In reality, is Mruda really gonna to add that much stopping them for running it out? I don't know.

Lets just roll the dice and get them on their weakest point.

Give it to them with both barrels and let them adjust to us.

Go Catters

After reading a bunch of the Hawks thread over there, they are well into themselves. And B2B they should be I guess.

That said, lets punch them in the throat. Play the 3 big Forwards. In reality, is Mruda really gonna to add that much stopping them for running it out? I don't know.

Go Catters

The way forwards create true pressure is kicking goals and Walker's no slouch anyway. I don't see the issue, he's carrying good form as well.

Go Catters

The result is not as important as the way we play. Consistent effort , threatening play , some signs that we have potential to cause havoc etc. They are the much more settled line up , we are considered a concoction too old, too young and circus act.

The result is not as important as the way we play. Consistent effort , threatening play , some signs that we have potential to cause havoc etc. They are the much more settled line up , we are considered a concoction too old, too young and circus act.

Play and lose?.... We can't play out of form players for the sake of an old game plan, you got to evolve and develop other patterns..... My two bobs.

Last edited:

Go Catters
I'm not convinced. If big forwards was the key to stopping them then I reckon Sydney would be premiers.

I was watching a bit of the GF recall at the gym the other morning. It seemed like every time the Hawks had the ball on their half back the player could look up and see another Hawks running into space to kick to. They just ran really hard and lost their opponent. It really looked like the game plan that we have been trying to implement over the past 2 years. Win the ball and then have players up forward running hard into open space. The amount of times they were able to take 4-5 kicks from their back half into their forward 50 was insane, each time a kick to a player that was in space and could take the uncontested mark. The uncontested possession stats for the game was 300-163 in the Hawks favour.

This is why I reckon we're putting players like Blicavs and Smedts in the backline this year, to specifically counter this strategy. You need blokes who can run all day and with a big tank who can go with the Hawks half forwards so that they're not running out into space like that all day. Pressure their backs and half backs with players like Murdoch and Lang into having to kick to contests, get the ball to ground and then try to rush it through the corridor either to Hawkins/Clark or rely on our speedy forwards to beat their defenders back towards goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back