2nds WAFL/WAFL Reserves Thread 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably not. Wouldn't mind giving him a crack as the sub, but that's it. I just think he's clearly the best prepared of our rookies right now, and playing reasonable football in the WAFL. Certainly nothing to scoff at. If there was an obvious candidate for promotion, it's him.
I agree with you DS, obviously we would like and assume that Newman will probably come on and be better than Lucas in the future (he does have potential) even though his only games at AFL level were pretty poor, but as it stands, Lucas has more experience and is game ready. Out of all our rookies, Lucas would be the most likely to get a promotion and play senior footy early IMO

I'm guessing there's been no update on how serious Newman's injury is? I'm hoping sitting out the second half was precautionary.

Sounds like he was showing promising signs early.

Probably not. Wouldn't mind giving him a crack as the sub, but that's it. I just think he's clearly the best prepared of our rookies right now, and playing reasonable football in the WAFL. Certainly nothing to scoff at.

Mate I have to agree with you. I got really sick and tired of favourites during the Woosha era. It seems some posters on this board want to ignore form and slam our players who are playing well because it makes them feel more like a keyboard warrior? Who knows, but I want players rewarded on form regardless of what their name or reputation is. Until Newman, Powell etc play better than Lucas they can't be considered before him in the pecking order - and that day certainly hasn't come yet.

Pace, experience, outside run, fitness, ability to find the football? The only one of our rookies who even looks close to having an impact at AFL level.

Sub him for round 1, his disposal won't be an issue in the limited amount of game time he'd get.
All those attributes mean jack s**t if you can't win the football of use the football ! We may as well go down to the running track and pick footballers .
As for ability to find the footy , Lucas has never averaged more than 18 possessions a game in a season .
He may have the attributes to be a tagger but he would then have to tackle .
If anything Lucas is a stop gap while we wait for our young talent to develop . I would prefer maginnity in the team and I think maginnity is a spud but at least he isn't a soft spud like Lucas

Did Lucas sleep with your dad or something?

Seriously, i won't even bother alt tabbing to find the information to tell you Lucas averages better EVERYTHING than Newman, or any other rookie on our list at AFL level, so i don't see why pointing out his disposal AVG gets you anywhere. Repeating "He's soft he's soft he's soft" over and over again is a good argument though, keep it up :thumbsu:

The only thing Lucas offers more than our other rookies is a clean bill of health and experience !
I'm not a Lucas fan at all but I also can't think of a player that I'd be more confident of Newman or Powell replacing at this stage as I would Lucas with someone like Rosa.

As such, I'd suggest that right now on output, he'd offer more.

Yes sometimes he is but unless you saw the game today you should STFU. We don't need to hear you repeat yourself ad nausseum on a rookie-listed player who is playing reasonable football atm.
Ha ha bit sensitive their mrs Lucas ! Maybe you should mind your own business and feed your son some protein

I'm not a Lucas fan at all but I also can't think of a player that I'd be more confident of Newman or Powell replacing at this stage as I would Lucas with someone like Rosa.

As such, I'd suggest that right now on output, he'd offer more.
As ER said apples and oranges . They are different players but to replace rosa we have have young mids needing game time and until all options on our senior list are exhausted Lucas won't need to be upgraded . So Lucas got 30 touches last week . His disposal was bad and was one of the reasons our forwards received poor supply .
From what I have seen this preseason Lucas hasn't deserved an upgrade and was the best performed rookie by default .
In terms of improving our side for the future Newman Powell and maginness are all much more important than Lucas who is a stop gap

Nelson and Lamb not playing today means they're gearing up to play AFL next weekend right? Here's hoping it happens!

Could Hill have just won a spot back over McGinnity? At least he has some aerial and goalkicking ability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nelson and Lamb not playing today means they're gearing up to play AFL next weekend right? Here's hoping it happens!

Could Hill have just won a spot back over McGinnity? At least he has some aerial and goalkicking ability.

Holding Lamb and Nelson back is interesting - are we just managing their workload or are they, justifiably, in the frame for Round 1.

Hill needs consistency in his game before he should be considered for selection - 1 good game shouldn't be enough, he needs 4 weeks or more of solid performances before he should even be on the table. McGinnity at leaves gives a reliable level of effort despite his limitations so would be in front of Hill. Both of them, however, should be very close to the end of the queue for selection so hopefully we aren't looking at either to fill the last spot in the 22.

(In response to the Lucas discussion)
To be honest none of our rookies are best 22. Any spots open in the side I would like to see given to the Fantastic Five (Duggan, Lamb, Nelson, Cava, Waterman) who I view as the most likely to benefit from AFL experience.

If one of our rookies does play it'll be to fill in for injuries etc, and realistically some of our mids are going to get injured this season which is why I would agree that Lucas is the best (or only) option for elevation despite me not being a fan of him as a player.

Powell hasn't played WAFL league yet and so won't be able to fill in our KPP problems anytime soon, needs WAFL form. Same could be said of Macguinnes. Newman on the other hand I think has more potential than Lucas but hasnt played footy in over a year and probably needs to get himself settled before going back to AFL. Sure you could give him games for development but like I said I'd rather do that with the 2014 draftees and make our rookie upgrade a bit of a safety/backup player for our side which right now Lucas as the only Afl experienced option seems to fit the bill.

Hill needs consistency in his game before he should be considered for selection - 1 good game shouldn't be enough, he needs 4 weeks or more of solid performances before he should even be on the table. McGinnity at leaves gives a reliable level of effort despite his limitations so would be in front of Hill. Both of them, however, should be very close to the end of the queue for selection so hopefully we aren't looking at either to fill the last spot in the 22.

This exactly - am so so sick of Josh Hill not stringing together games or even quarters in a row. At least McSpuddity is a constant presence (albeit not a very damaging one). Then hopefully by the end of the season Muzza or someone can replace them both and we can use their spots on the list to draft Gary Ablett and Patrick Dangerfield 2.0

Regarding Lucas, even if he has been playing well in EP colours, like most people, I'd rather us give some experience to the young guys first in any case before considering him, don't really really see him influencing results anymore then them. He also typically played well in the VFL last year while not playing with Carlton. Overall, I wouldn't bother promoting any rookies until we become truly desperate with injuries.

Not sure how Hill won his spot back today??? 1 spectacular looking mark, but it was going in one handed, avoiding body contact. Another goal was a blatant hands in the back, over the top, rebound passage.
Lucas impressed me about as much as Riggio impressed me.......

Main, Adamson and Barrass are the only three named in the reserves extended squad for the weekend...

Shanahan, Wilson, Ameduri are alll named in that extended reserves squad. Not really a fan of Wilson, there just isn't a whole lot to his game and he's undersized height wise.

Interested to see if Ridley is elevated to play league so early for swannies.
Should be elevated, in place of Riggio, IMO. Ridley and Daniels are the 2 I want to see at league level, and Shand, to see how he goes.

Unfortunately we need Hill to play, We need that one player or at least one player that oppositions don't really know what he will do on the day but are mindful he can do a freaky thing now and again, most of our other player's you can read like a book and know exactly what they will bring, like a boxer telegraphing his punches !

Not sure how Hill won his spot back today??? 1 spectacular looking mark, but it was going in one handed, avoiding body contact. Another goal was a blatant hands in the back, over the top, rebound passage.
Lucas impressed me about as much as Riggio impressed me.......
Fair call, didn't get to see the game so was merely commenting based on stats. He definitely needs to show consistency before being considered for a spot.

Thanks Dark Sharks for filling in as ❤️Kane Lucas❤️ sponsor for the weekend while I've been away.

Good signs from Liam, did also see that Weller/Blakely were best BOGs so it might be a really strong draft year.

Hopefully last weekend was an aberration.

Unfortunately we need Hill to play, We need that one player or at least one player that oppositions don't really know what he will do on the day but are mindful he can do a freaky thing now and again, most of our other player's you can read like a book and know exactly what they will bring, like a boxer telegraphing his punches !
I very much doubt the opposition spend much time on Hill.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back