Opinion Beams deal reviewed - incoming players (bumped, see post #672)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beams, 24 year old. Over a 100 games experience, Copeland Trophy winner, Premiership player.
Played finals football every year at Collingwood (expcet 2014).
Whos know's whether we really had much choice, But based on his playing history so far, Do we still think we got a good deal out of the trade. I don't. Just my opinion on this thread that's all.

Beams, 24 year old. Over a 100 games experience, Copeland Trophy winner, Premiership player.
Whos know's whether we really had much choice, But based on his playing history so far, Do we still think we got a good deal out of the trade. I don't. Just my opinion on this thread that's all.

We probably not got what we wanted but we got the best available trade we could do

It is not what has happened in the past that matters, it is what happens in the future that will determine whether we got a good deal. In five years time we may well reflect back and conclude that both clubs did well out of this trade. Any opinions about how we did is based on assumptions about what will happen in the future. What really matters is what actually happens.

That will play out over the next 3-5 years. In the meantime everyone should just sit back and relax.

If all threads were about "will we win the premiership in the next 2-3 years" Bigfooty would be pretty boring. Why cant we analyse the trade and continue to analyse it over time?

It's a good point. You have my permission....but only 3 posts a week for the next 10 years and then you'll have to stop. I think that's fair.

he has played one great season so far in his career. Same as Greenwood!

he has played one great season so far in his career. Same as Greenwood!
He's played one exceptional season where he won the best and fairest, and had several more good seasons too.
The fact that Beams has managed to play 36 more games than Greenwood in the same amount of seasons, even with his 'injury' in 2013, is pretty indicative of their respective careers. Beams has Levi easily covered at this stage, i just hope that we haven't recruited a one season wonder.

Wondering whether it was a good deal or not is irrelevant. It is what it is and only time can tell. Was Beams as upfront and honest with the club as they deserved is a more interesting question to me. Premiership player, Copland Trophy etc is partly reward for the opportunity he got a Collingwood but if he shafted us, then good riddance.

He's played one exceptional season where he won the best and fairest, and had several more good seasons too.
The fact that Beams has managed to play 36 more games than Greenwood in the same amount of seasons, even with his 'injury' in 2013, is pretty indicative of their respective careers. Beams has Levi easily covered at this stage, i just hope that we haven't recruited a one season wonder.

Yes it was a tongue in cheek comment. Greenwood is the steakknives, Crisp is the bearnaise sauce. The real test will be how De Goey goes. And whether Beams suffers any more "quad injuries"

Wondering whether it was a good deal or not is irrelevant. It is what it is and only time can tell. Was Beams as upfront and honest with the club as they deserved is a more interesting question to me. Premiership player, Copland Trophy etc is partly reward for the opportunity he got a Collingwood but if he shafted us, then good riddance.

You hit the mark there. Post more often please!

Ecxept when half missed half a season with a "quad". But yes i was being a bit cheeky but regardless Greenwood and Beams are 1-1 in "outstanding seasons". And Greenwoods is more recent:)
Outstanding yes BEST and Fairest. Club CHAMPION. Greenwood is yet to do that. Won't be happening this year either.

Outstanding yes BEST and Fairest. Club CHAMPION. Greenwood is yet to do that. Won't be happening this year either.

What did you expect them to do with Beams?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You hit the mark there. Post more often please!
Thanks, jmac70 - I usually need to get agitated before I feel the urge however I suspect that this coming season might have agitation in abundance.

I'm quite confident we havnt recruited a one season wonder. He's shown that in the first 3 games before he got injured he's going to be a quality in who always leads the way in putting his head over the ball. Despite the early pantsing he got from bont in the bulldogs game he was one of our better players.

The thing is, people need to stop talking about dayne beams like he's nothing. Fact is he's left the club. And fact is he's an exceptionally good player, players like him don't come often otherwise we would have another 5 on our list. He's definitely more than a one season wonder. Greenwood will never reach his heights, I'm not saying de goey won't, but I'd be pleasantly surprised if he did.

Beams when fully fit is one of the best midfielders in the comp, he could never be replaced in just one trade. Time will tell how well we do out of this unfortunate trade but some things are tough to replace and his impact of leaving will be exaggerated somewhat by Greeenwoods injury which many like Kingy will jump on and milk it as far as he can.

Beams when fully fit is one of the best midfielders in the comp, he could never be replaced in just one trade. Time will tell how well we do out of this unfortunate trade but some things are tough to replace and his impact of leaving will be exaggerated somewhat by Greeenwoods injury which many like Kingy will jump on and milk it as far as he can.

Then what Happens IF De Goey become 1 of the Best Mids in the AFL when he is in his Prime?

Then what Happens IF De Goey become 1 of the Best Mids in the AFL when he is in his Prime?
Well no doubt we'll be very happy with the end trade but we can't work on hypotheticals. We work with what we know and that's Beams an AGrade highly decorated player and DG is yet to kick a ball in anger.

Pointless trying to predict otherwise

Well no doubt we'll be very happy with the end trade but we can't work on hypotheticals. We work with what we know and that's Beams an AGrade highly decorated player and DG is yet to kick a ball in anger.

Pointless trying to predict otherwise

and Shows you can’t Grade the Trade for at least another 5 Years

And if it does you can always revert to the standard, "yes but that only happened because we are s**t" argument. The same argument you are already using to talk down Crisps preseason form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back