Analysis Peel Thunder 2015 (TV schedule in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

No idea what commentators could be talking about. His kicking was fine.
Sometimes the amateur commentators invent stuff because they can't think of anything else to say.

They thought hannath was playing until about the 10minute mark

I thought the amalmagation of Freo & peel would be a winner but not so certain at the moment, has not produced the results & peel lost to many better players. Lot of season left but if results stay the same be interesting to see what happens.

Why does everything Freo related just take ages to get fixed? How long is our seconds team going to be allowed to be subpar? 5-10 seasons?

Dont get me wrong I love old freo but I dont want to have to go through seasons of tough times with peel as well. I have PTSD already from some of those memorable Freo seasons.

Blakely was terrific, commentators don't know jack. He really put his hand up for round 1. Lachie Weller probably got me more excited though. He was tough at the contest, tackled well and really pressured the ball carrier. That combined with his line breaking and his exquisite ball use, made one very well-rounded performance. Weller actually had 12 touches in each half, so he ran out the game well. Duffy was good up until half-time, then completely dropped off. He also did some very selfish things. Ballard and Tanner Smith's kicking was horrible. I though Barlow and Duffield were average, though that doesn't worry me too much. Danyle Pearce wasn't that great, however his stats looked ok at the end.

Apeness wasn't particularly great up forward, but his ruck work and efforts up the ground were decent. Ed Langdon looked good in his first hit-out, especially after an interrupted pre-season. His speed was very noticeable and it was quite easy to confuse him with Weller. Brady Grey was quite poor and makes some poor mistakes. Deluca did some good things in the first half, but had a poor second half. Alex Pearce understandably looks a bit underdone.

Head very little about Alex Pearce in the radio broadcast - was he injured, his stats are pretty bad for a full game, given the pressure on Peel's back-line.

First time I've seen him play live and I thought he was quite good. Took a couple of good defensive grabs and showed a glimpse or two of that nice agility with the ball he has for a big guy. I don't remember him doing too much wrong.

Sounds like D Pearce did enough to get himself picked in round 1. Duffied sounded better in the second half? Lachie Weller is going to be terrific by the sounds of it. Ballard went very well considering his lack of match practice.
Agree with this. Duffield played on the ball in the last qtr, I suspect he will still be considered for selection next week despite an average performance today.
Understandably AP wasn't at his best but he improved as the game went on. I think if it came to the crunch and we had to call on one of our developing defenders at some point this year, AP would get a call up before Tanner (ignoring the rookie situation). He seems to me to be a better player at this stage of their careers.
Grey started with a flurry of spoils and tackles but then went out of the game. Weller was quite good but I thought it strange that on 3 occasions he chose a 25m hand pass over a kick, especially as his kicking is excellent. One of those handpasses nearly put Duffy (I think it was Duffy) in hospital. I can't believe anyone could criticise Blakely's kicking based on today's game. He missed some handpass targets in traffic but he'll get better in that area. Hughes continues to impress, although some of his disposal by hand and foot was a bit iffy. I particularly liked the way he put some good body contact on in marking contests. Langdon and deluca were encouraging.

Was a bit distracted with kids running wild, but did enjoy bits of it. Agree on Blakely and Weller, both look like A graders. Have not been this excited about first year players since seeing Nat Fyfe debut.

Ales Pearce looks like a footballer body-wise, but obviously a bit short of a run. I think he could be quite something based on the couple of times I have watched him. Apeness looked much better when he had a run on the ball in the last, put his hand up and really worked hard. Prior to that he was bog average and did not look like taking a grab.

Unfortunately I don't see Peel improving much. If that's what they dish up with all those Freo players in the team I hate to think what they will be like without. It just looks like a bunch of footballers who hardly know each other - kind of like the Indigenous All-Stars, lots of great talent but still beaten by the Eagles.

Sigh.

My observations from game:

1. I am now officially a member of the I-Cannot-Believe-Blakely-Lasted-To-Our-Second-Pick club. Oozes class.
2. Weller played very well. Has a turn of speed and real skills.
3. Serviceable games from Barlow, Pearce D and Duffield. Good warm ups for next week.
4. Duffy started well but got a bit greedy at times. Not noticed after harf time. Wont play for Freo next week methinks.
5. Griffin killed em in the ruck.
6. Apeness competed hard and took one good grab but just seems to have hard hands at the moment. Will get there.
7. I quite liked Alex Pearce. Did not stand out but looked more accomplished than Tanner.
8 Ballard was quite serviceable
9 Deluca Langdon Grey were thereabouts but need more time in the WAFL.
10. Umpires did South Geraldton a few favours.
11. The two dreadful turnovers by Smith and Duffield in the 1st quarter proved the difference in the end.

My observations from game:

1. I am now officially a member of the I-Cannot-Believe-Blakely-Lasted-To-Our-Second-Pick club. Oozes class.
2. Weller played very well. Has a turn of speed and real skills.
3. Serviceable games from Barlow, Pearce D and Duffield. Good warm ups for next week.
4. Duffy started well but got a bit greedy at times. Not noticed after harf time. Wont play for Freo next week methinks.
5. Griffin killed em in the ruck.
6. Apeness competed hard and took one good grab but just seems to have hard hands at the moment. Will get there.
7. I quite liked Alex Pearce. Did not stand out but looked more accomplished than Tanner.
8 Ballard was quite serviceable
9 Deluca Langdon Grey were thereabouts but need more time in the WAFL.
10. Umpires did South Geraldton a few favours.
11. The two dreadful turnovers by Smith and Duffield in the 1st quarter proved the difference in the end.
And the 3 fifty metre penalties we gave away didn't help either.
good post thanks
I'm also pleased it put an end to the Crozier or Duffy thing.

And the 3 fifty metre penalties we gave away didn't help either.
good post thanks
I'm also pleased it put an end to the Crozier or Duffy thing.

we may have no choice if crozier is injured. surely duffy has had the coaches in his ear that he doesn't earn brownie points for being selfish and peppering the goals?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we may have no choice if crozier is injured. surely duffy has had the coaches in his ear that he doesn't earn brownie points for being selfish and peppering the goals?
Last I heard Croz just rolled an ankle and will be fine. Has anything else come through?
The problem with Duffy (still) is if you are going to be selfish, you have to kick them and very often on the run or by a snap shot he doesn't. I expect his kicking will become more consistent as the season goes on.

Last I heard Croz just rolled an ankle and will be fine. Has anything else come through?
The problem with Duffy (still) is if you are going to be selfish, you have to kick them and very often on the run or by a snap shot he doesn't. I expect his kicking will become more consistent as the season goes on.

we're keeping our cards very close to our chest with injuries leading up to round 1, so it's hard to say. i hope it's just minor, we will need him to cover ballas if ballas cannot get up.

i'm just parroting what someone else has said, that it would be ideal for him to be played further up the ground while he is developing; we can use his creativity in our attack, and it will lessen his temptation to be greedy for glory. does he have a tank to be played higher up the ground?

i'm just parroting what someone else has said, that it would be ideal for him to be played further up the ground while he is developing; we can use his creativity in our attack, and it will lessen his temptation to be greedy for glory. does he have a tank to be played higher up the ground?
I've always seen him play forward and go through the midfield at times, so I can't answer that.

The trouble is, he is such a talent. Has genuine x factor.

I really want him to succeed.
I think its a good trait to have being selfish as a forward - shows confidence.

It should probably be noted, not that its an excuse, but all the freo players train with a sherrin, however the Burley is used in the WAFL which is a slightly different shape (not as pointy). It is noticeable when kicking the two.

Just a few points from the game .
Firstly the personal then the team set up and finally on the coaching .
I was disappointed with Ballards game . I was expecting to see some improvement but it looked more like a step in the wrong direction slightly sideways .
Apeness will have to improve not only his marking but his leading patterns as well . His rucking was just passable against WP 's second ruckman
Duffy was trying but needs to work on the defensive part of his game . He got caught out of position when WP were bringing the ball out of defence
Peel had no forward structure and other posters have criticized his attacking the goals (hunger ) but he had no one else for support .
Danyle Pearce was just plain not match fit , his kicking and hand passing terrible and it didn't improve all day . His only saving grace was that he was getting into contests and getting the ball only to turn it over at every opportunity .
Barlow in my opinion is way off match ready and if selected in the first's will struggle .If Suban is fit Mick will have to wait .
Tanner Smith was just plain terrible .He got caught out of position all day , his disposal extremely poor , his efforts to defend shocking and he didn't man up
all day .
Sylvia was cut from the team before they ran out onto the arena .

I have never seen a more dysfunctional football team at any level or grade .
West Perth is rebuilding their team and South Fremantle took them apart in the first round . They have a lot of kids trying to make their way in WAFL football .
Today I watched 22 individuals playing for themselves ,not for their team , the jumper or the Club .
West Perth on the other hand were playing as a TEAM . Their is no I in team for a very good reason and I saw that demonstrated today by WP .

Today felt sorry for Cam Shepherd and the job he has undertaken . I went out onto the ground at the end of the first and third quarters .
He was instructing the players on how he wanted them to play and he was telling them what tactics he wanted them use .
At quarter time it was all about lowering eyes when kicking , man up when Peel didn't have the ball , pressure the opponent when they had the ball .
At 3\4 time RTB had had enough of Fremantle players not performing and not playing to the game plan they have been learning all preseason .
Cam finally got to say a few words to the huddle of players just before the game re started .
If Ross wasn't happy with how the players were playing or how the coach was coaching then he should have spoken to the COACH IN THE COACHING BOX .
If he was unhappy with a player then that message should have gone to the assistant coach in charge of the player before the quarter time break .Not direct to the player on the ground in front of everyone . He has undermined ALL of the coaching staff .

Now I have called for Cam Shepherd head before . He is not a good coach and he couldn't inspire a storm trouper to charge at an open door of a PUB .
We had no forward line and players who haven't trained together for more than a week TOGETHER .

This has to change and quickly .I was at Freo on Friday and normally the Players who will be playing in the WAFL this was no where to be seen .
The Peel league team and some reserves must train with the main squad at Fremantle at least one a week if not more .
The alignment with Peel will be a disaster if nothing changes and quickly .

I was disappointed with Ballards game . I was expecting to see some improvement but it looked more like a step in the wrong direction slightly sideways .
Apeness will have to improve not only his marking but his leading patterns as well . His rucking was just passable against WP 's second ruckman
Duffy was trying but needs to work on the defensive part of his game . He got caught out of position when WP were bringing the ball out of defence
Peel had no forward structure and other posters have criticized his attacking the goals (hunger ) but he had no one else for support .
Danyle Pearce was just plain not match fit , his kicking and hand passing terrible and it didn't improve all day . His only saving grace was that he was getting into contests and getting the ball only to turn it over at every opportunity .
Barlow in my opinion is way off match ready and if selected in the first's will struggle .If Suban is fit Mick will have to wait .
Tanner Smith was just plain terrible .He got caught out of position all day , his disposal extremely poor , his efforts to defend shocking and he didn't man up
all day .

West Perth is rebuilding their team and South Fremantle took them apart in the first round . They have a lot of kids trying to make their way in WAFL football .
Today I watched 22 individuals playing for themselves ,not for their team , the jumper or the Club .
West Perth on the other hand were playing as a TEAM . Their is no I in team for a very good reason and I saw that demonstrated today by WP .

Today felt sorry for Cam Shepherd and the job he has undertaken . I went out onto the ground at the end of the first and third quarters .
He was instructing the players on how he wanted them to play and he was telling them what tactics he wanted them use .
At quarter time it was all about lowering eyes when kicking , man up when Peel didn't have the ball , pressure the opponent when they had the ball .
At 3\4 time RTB had had enough of Fremantle players not performing and not playing to the game plan they have been learning all preseason .
Cam finally got to say a few words to the huddle of players just before the game re started .
If Ross wasn't happy with how the players were playing or how the coach was coaching then he should have spoken to the COACH IN THE COACHING BOX .
If he was unhappy with a player then that message should have gone to the assistant coach in charge of the player before the quarter time break .Not direct to the player on the ground in front of everyone . He has undermined ALL of the coaching staff .

Now I have called for Cam Shepherd head before . He is not a good coach and he couldn't inspire a storm trouper to charge at an open door of a PUB .
We had no forward line and players who haven't trained together for more than a week TOGETHER .

This has to change and quickly .I was at Freo on Friday and normally the Players who will be playing in the WAFL this was no where to be seen .
The Peel league team and some reserves must train with the main squad at Fremantle at least one a week if not more .

The sad thing is that this post is not an overreaction.

But they didn't lose by much in the end. It's not the end of the world.

all day .

:( Not what I wanted to hear....

WTF is up with Sylvia.....Cut from Peal Jesus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back