The Guardian on footy, Aussie Rules aka AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
This UK based organ is loved by the politically correct ideologues, so its not surprising to see our game referred to as AFL, but I was pleasantly surprised to see an article by Russell Jackson ( not familiar with his work) http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/mar/27/afl-10-players-to-look-out-for

Joe Daniher
Angus Brayshaw
Adam Treloar
The Bont
Nat Fyfe
Tim Broomhead
Mitch Clark
Josh Green
Gaz Jnr
Paddy McCartin

Journo Jackson is clearly not a regular from Melbournes AFL media mafia.

Our game is Aussie Rules, the AFL Commission is the official governing body of the Australian Football League (AFL), the elite national Australian rules football competition.
Do soccer players play EPL?
Are Essendon the Essendon Australian Football Club, dont think so ... ash??

You are marching to a PC chorus line, so its a given The Guardian is a cheerleader.
Where does the article refer to the sport as AFL?

All I see is references to these players being in the AFL.

AFL season 2015
10 players who are expected to light up the AFL in 2015
It’s hard to confirm this but Adam Treloar seems like one of the biggest sledgers in the AFL
Broomhead stepped up to AFL level and just immediately looked like he knew what he was doing

Where does the article refer to the sport as AFL?

All I see is references to these players being in the AFL.

AFL season 2015
10 players who are expected to light up the AFL in 2015
It’s hard to confirm this but Adam Treloar seems like one of the biggest sledgers in the AFL
Broomhead stepped up to AFL level and just immediately looked like he knew what he was doing

See the sport listing, not the article.

I was drawn to the article via Google News & posted as I saw it. I am always peeved by the PC journos/media yet found it to be good reading, yes, it suited my point of view, hello, hello !
I can draw your attention to the response above (tongue in cheek that you may be):
Isn't it called AFL?

Our game is Aussie Rules, the AFL Commission is the official governing body of the Australian Football League (AFL), the elite national Australian rules football competition.
Do soccer players play EPL?
Are Essendon the Essendon Australian Football Club, dont think so ... ash??

You are marching to a PC chorus line, so its a given The Guardian is a cheerleader.

EPL season 2015
10 players who are expected to light up the EPL in 2015
It’s hard to confirm this but Adam Treloar seems like one of the biggest sledgers in the EPL☑
Broomhead stepped up to EPL level and just immediately looked like he knew what he was doing☑

Hmm odd, it looks as if they could replace the AFL any other sports league in the world and it works exactly the same, see my evidence below. Again, why would you call it anything other than what it is, the AFL?

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2013/12...er-league-talents-20132014-mid-season-report/
http://www.therichest.com/sports/soccer-sports/top-10-epl-players-to-watch-in-2014-2015/
http://www.just-football.com/2014/0...-young-players-the-10-series-2014-15-januzaj/

See the sport listing, not the article.
OK, I'm totally lost.

I get that the sport is called Australian Rules Football, and that AFL is the top league in the sport.

Is your complaint about the category that the Guardian filed the story?
EG: Home>Sport>AFL?

No offence, but you sound like a crazy person.

That said, I do hate how the Guardian calls soccer "football" when writing in Australia. They have an Australian edition, IMHO they should respect the local language conventions which mean that "football"/"footy" is Aussie rules in the south and rugby league in the north, and soccer is "soccer" everywhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That said, I do hate how the Guardian calls soccer "football" when writing in Australia. They have an Australian edition, IMHO they should respect the local language conventions which mean that "football"/"footy" is Aussie rules in the south and rugby league in the north, and soccer is "soccer" everywhere.

Not offended, I've been called worse. Whats worse for you, I agree with your view of the soocer, footy, AFL/NBL descriptor.

It's not just The Guardian! Again, every media outlet now does this. Look at the number one footy paper in the country:

upload_2015-4-1_15-27-37.png

What about the number one sports channel:

upload_2015-4-1_15-28-15.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back