Oppo Camp 2015 non-Geelong match and general football discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the Cricket heads out there....just how good is Starc. Its seems he has elements of Johnson but with something else as well.
He has all the tools, he's tall so gets great bounce, bowls 150k, swings it... he has enormous confidence with the white ball and can decimate teams... his yorker is leathal

Yet when they put him in the test side he is a different beast all together... doesn't have the range of deliveries I don't reckon

Johnson has a few more tricks up his sleeve I reckon but can also be erratic.. but when Johnson is 'on' he can destroy any team in the world in any format of the game

vinum coupe

Cancelled
10k Posts Ruby Geelong Cats - Travis Varcoe 2012 Player Sponsor
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team
For the Cricket heads out there....just how good is Starc. Its seems he has elements of Johnson but with something else as well.
I don't know where its come from.

He's actually a bit like a decent bottle of bordeaux that magically comes good.
He's never been a dud.
But as I was explaining to my 7 year old. It's like he can now put the ball on any spot he wants at will.

And he never used to be that quick.

And I should add, johnson never used to be quick.
When he was dropped from the test team he was a 143, 144 type bowler.

Maybe its a bit like AFL. Get a few years injury free and you build strength, get faster, and have more control.

He's never been a dud.
But as I was explaining to my 7 year old. It's like he can now put the ball on any spot he wants at will.

His speed is relevant to his confidence and how he is feeling. Remeber when he struggled in the test side this summer, he went back to the big bash and blasted a team out with scorching yorkers,... looked a completely different bowler

vinum coupe

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team
His speed is relevant to his confidence and how he is feeling. Remeber when he struggled in the test side this summer, he went back to the big bash and blasted a team out with scorching yorkers,... looked a completely different bowler
And right after Warne said he needed to stop coasting.
Or similar.

And right after Warne said he needed to stop coasting.
Or similar.
He said he needed to harden up didn't he lol... seems to have worked!

vinum coupe

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team
Well, they are in a world of hurt right now.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong

He's never been a dud.

And I should add, johnson never used to be quick.
When he was dropped from the test team he was a 143, 144 type bowler.

Maybe its a bit like AFL. Get a few years injury free and you build strength, get faster, and have more control.

Im not sure pure pace is the be all , it seem it come out of Johnson's had in a slippery fashion. In regard to Starc he seem like a bit of Johnson and and a bit Mcgrath.... heard some one say his figures compare very well to some Indian/Pak bowler can not remember who but he was a legend type, so maybe he is better than I thought he was was.

vinum coupe

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team
And they haven't been in this position all tournament
No not really.

They did get into some trouble vs sth africa.
But not to the same level.

They have the problem I was talking about when we played India.
Slow scoring.

Wickets are now compounding it.

I actually hope they at least make 250.
It would be such a let down.

vinum coupe

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team
Im not sure pure pace is the be all , it seem it come out of Johnson's had in a slippery fashion. In regard to Starc he seem like a bit of Johnson and and a bit Mcgrath.... heard some one say his figures compare very well to some Indian/Pak bowler can not remember who but he was a legend type, so maybe he is better than I thought he was was.
Pace is deadly if you have it, and don't always use it.

No not really.

They did get into some trouble vs sth africa.
But not to the same level.
And McCullum had lay a great platform in no time for them that game

I'll stand by this. He won't be a successful test bowler.

In ripping white ball form though it has to be said.

Simply brilliant professional job by the Aussies in the field there.
Maxwell has a cannon for an arm, that was a brilliant run out.

Now nothing stupid needed, our batsmen just need to put the bad balls away and take no risks.

I do worry how Finch/Warner go if tied down, wouldn't be surprised if one teed off early to try completely rip the game away

If he can take wickets he will be - he's taken the most this tournament. And he doesn't concede many runs.
I'm going to channel some Partridge here. He needs to prove it, so far there's been little to no evidence he can.

His red ball performances are pretty ordinary. Don't think he will tbh.

SleazySimon

Club Legend
May 23, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm going to channel some Partridge here. He needs to prove it, so far there's been little to no evidence he can.

His red ball performances are pretty ordinary. Don't think he will tbh.
Fair enough. I just think the gap between test and ODI is overstated. There's much more test players who have failed in the short form than vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back