List Mgmt. 2015 Trade, Draft, Rookie Draft and FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

How good is this guy? Daddy_Barrels

I remember hearing about this guy like 5 years ago, he was 6"5 when he started high school. (I think it was assumption college?) and his dad played for the Bears I think?

I remember hearing about this guy like 5 years ago, he was 6"5 when he started high school. (I think it was assumption college?) and his dad played for the Bears I think?
Correct weight H, Laurence Schache. Played 29 games for the Bears between '91 and '92 and kicked 64 goals. Was a big bloke himself at 194cm; could play footy.

Josh is apparently now 200cm, but was 197cm last I heard, and has a cannon of a right foot.

Think Rooey with a bit less athleticism and a bit more brute force.

Rahul and I love him.

Beat me to it mate. I'd take him at #1 at this rate.

Would set up our forward line for 10 years.

Gimme a 2020 forward line of:

HF: Lonie ~ Schache ~ Billings
FF: Saad ~ McCartin ~ Pierce?
So basically all of White, Lee, Membrey and Bruce fail as forwards? Not ideal.

Correct weight H, Laurence Schache. Played 29 games for the Bears between '91 and '92 and kicked 64 goals. Was a big bloke himself at 194cm; could play footy.

Josh is apparently now 200cm, but was 197cm last I heard, and has a cannon of a right foot.

Think Rooey with a bit less athleticism and a bit more brute force.

Rahul and I love him.

Now we just need a priority pick to get him and a mid. Will he be ready in time for our flag push though?

Just a side note, all the boys that are in the AFL Academy (most of the top prospects) will play in a curtain raiser at Etihad before our game against GWS on April the 5th. Should be a good indicator for where they are at with their football and how they'll go against men.

Do you know when it starts?

So basically all of White, Lee, Membrey and Bruce fail as forwards? Not ideal.
No, not ideal, but I'd have Membrey in that setup as well.

As for the others, Lee is touch and go, White was a pick based on stratospheric potential and I still reckon Bruce is better value as a defender.

If you want to put a positive spin on it, maybe they didn't 'fail' but McCartin and Schache were so good that they demanded the spots...

Now we just need a priority pick to get him and a mid. Will he be ready in time for our flag push though?
He's 18 this year, so he'll be 21 where we're really starting to challenge in 2018 and 23 in 2020.

If he's good enough he'll be old enough.

Do you know when it starts?
Last year it was ~3 hours before the actual match, if my memory serves correctly (that was a night match though). There should be some more information released in the next week.
He's 18 this year, so he'll be 21 where we're really starting to challenge in 2018 and 23 in 2020.

If he's good enough he'll be old enough.
Think the goal of 2018 is to keep fans excited and active with the club. Can't see us in the mix for a flag until 2020 at the earliest. But really, how much does this show the quality of this year's draft. A very strong group at the top with Weitering, Schache, Tucker, Mills, Parish, Mathieson, Weideman all at the top.

But I just want a gun freakin mid! So bad! Won't be unhappy with a gun forward, but man... I want a freak in the centre somewhere.

But I just want a gun freakin mid! So bad! Won't be unhappy with a gun forward, but man... I want a freak in the centre somewhere.
I know I've got prejudices, but for me it boils down to the fact that you can find top line mids every year... Real A+ grade big fellas are much rarer.

Unless one of the mids (I'm looking at you Darcy Tucker) really explodes from the pack and dominates, I say Weitering or Schache.

No, not ideal, but I'd have Membrey in that setup as well.

As for the others, Lee is touch and go, White was a pick based on stratospheric potential and I still reckon Bruce is better value as a defender.

If you want to put a positive spin on it, maybe they didn't 'fail' but McCartin and Schache were so good that they demanded the spots...

I would be surprised if we didn't get one good forward out of that lot. Members to me hasn't done anything to think he will be any better than the rest of them. I think we need to get all mids or the pain will continue. We really would have loved Cockatoo or another stylish, quick ball carrier last draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we took Schache who out of he and McCartin play CHF?

Isn't McCartin the "traditional" full forward type?
Schache is a couple of inches taller and a monster kick; he's a true CHF.
Karl brown from the cannons kicked 8 any info size ability player type?
192cm 90kg with a December birthday.

Daddy_Barrels, do you think Schache would complement McCartin in terms of playing style?

And would you still pick him if he was say, a 50/50 for the number 1 spot with a gun mid like Tucker?
Absolutely; McCartin could then play from the square, which is probably his real strength. He's strong enough to wrestle, but he's got amazing hands and a great first few yards of speed to get separation on a defender; he's a leading machine.

Schache is more of a mobile target up the ground.

I hate comparing kids to current or former stars, but if I have to provide a comparison, then Schache is to Cloke or Cameron what McCartin is to Barry Hall or Plugger.

As for whether I'd take him over Tucker that's a very tough decision; I love my big fellas, but I'm a massive Tucker fan. I said last night, and I maintain that view, that you take gun talls over gun mids unless the gun mid is something really out of the box; they're a rarer commodity whereas gun mids are available every year.

I'd hate to have to choose.

Last edited:
I hacked into Barrels' computer and found his dream best 22:

FB: Dempster Delaney Fisher
HB: Goddard Bruce Roberton
C: Riewoldt Gilbert Lee
HF: Membrey White Schache
FF: Longer Hickey McCartin

R: Pierce Holmes Payne

Int: Murdoch Markworth Simpkin

:D

Make that best 21.

I hacked into Barrels' computer and found his dream best 22:

FB: Dempster Delaney Fisher
HB: Goddard Bruce Roberton
C: Riewoldt Gilbert Lee
HF: Membrey White Schache
FF: Longer Hickey McCartin

R: Pierce Holmes Payne

Int: Murdoch Markworth Simpkin

:D

Make that best 21.
Acres is over 190 too...

some impressive football in the WAFL yesterday. Shane Yarran 5 goals again. class above, should be playing AFL.

some young dockers and eagles very impressive. Blakely 30 touches, Weller 25. Duggan and Waterman very good again by all accounts. Langdon first game did okish.

going over the stats now and will post them to the D&T board

KM just realised his draft thread on yei day for those who didn't see

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...draft-profiles-and-discussion-thread.1091303/

He has balic at 3!!!! I hate this now, I liked him when no one rated him or knew about him :D. But I'm still backing him to finish as the concenus number 1 once the champs come along if he's injury free.

Schache listed at 6 coming in at 197.2cm
Read it last night... We get:

#2: Jacob WEITERING - Western Jets
- 195cm 90kg* (KPP/KPD)

#20: Keiran COLLINS - Dandenong
- 192.5cm 90.6kg (KPD)

#38: Matthew STILLMAN - Calder
- 180.8cm 75.7kg (mid/def)

#56: Bailey RICE - Dandenong
- 183cm 81kg (inside mid)

#74: James COGHLAN - Bendigo
- 180.2cm 70.7kg (tagger)

*correct according to afl.com.au

It's essentially meaningless because it's so early in the season, and there's no reference point for trades or delistings, but I'd be bloody floored if we drafted that way in any event.

Nice romance angle with the two father/son picks though.

Last edited:
Floored you mean?

Yeah why the hell would we draft two key position players when what we need are mids?

Floored you mean?

Yeah why the hell would we draft two key position players when what we need are mids?
Yep. Autocorrect fail that.

As for the picks, Weitering is certainly worth it, he's a gun, but Collins is a bit of a reach and I just don't see it with Coghlan (sorry Frankie...).

Km on balic

Balic in the grand final preview last year really put on a show so I'm hardly the only one who will be talking about him this year. Along with another really 6-8 guys, Balic is one of that group who at this stage could plausibly prove a potential number one overall selection with a strong season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back