Unofficial Preview Round 1, Pies V Lions, Sat evening @6:20pm Qld / 7:20pm Vic (Thread closed, see Game Day thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is a huge match to be honest!

It's huge in the sense that I think it will set the tone for the rest of the year. If we play like we did in round 1 last year against Fremantle then I'm quite fearful that this year could be an ugly year but if we actually display some passion, desire and commitment to win the contest then that's enough for me that this side will be okay this year but will obviously have its ups and downs as a young unit.

If we play like we did against the Bulldogs two weeks ago then we'll get flogged however I'm expecting the players to really lift their intensity for this game. The Lions have quite a good midfield especially with the additions of Beams and Christiansen but their key position players are no good and this is where we need to exploit them if we're going to win this.

The forward line set up is hugely important here and if our forwards are able to perform here then we're a huge chance to win this. The defenders shouldn't be have a difficult night ahead of them with the lack of strong forwards for the Lions! In the midfield if we're able to nullify the influence of Rockliff and Beams the Lions will struggle massively in my opinion.

I'm quite pessimistic heading into the season but nevertheless I'm excited about footy returning! This is going to be massive!

Cloke is a big, big key to this match (no surprise), this preseason Brisbane's defense hasn't faced one major key forward, there was no Reiwoldt in the St Kilda match, no Buddy or Tippett in the Sydney match, and no Lynch or Dixon in the GC match.

With Patfull leaving in the offseason, their defense is as raw and under-prepared as it's been for a while, we may get less inside 50's but if Cloke can fire up, he could be an absolute colossus for us, and if he can get his confidence up and running early this season, he could set himself up for a huge year.

I think this is a huge match to be honest!

It's huge in the sense that I think it will set the tone for the rest of the year. If we play like we did in round 1 last year against Fremantle then I'm quite fearful that this year could be an ugly year but if we actually display some passion, desire and commitment to win the contest then that's enough for me that this side will be okay this year but will obviously have its ups and downs as a young unit.

If we play like we did against the Bulldogs two weeks ago then we'll get flogged however I'm expecting the players to really lift their intensity for this game. The Lions have quite a good midfield especially with the additions of Beams and Christiansen but their key position players are no good and this is where we need to exploit them if we're going to win this.

The forward line set up is hugely important here and if our forwards are able to perform here then we're a huge chance to win this. The defenders shouldn't be have a difficult night ahead of them with the lack of strong forwards for the Lions! In the midfield if we're able to nullify the influence of Rockliff and Beams the Lions will struggle massively in my opinion.

I'm quite pessimistic heading into the season but nevertheless I'm excited about footy returning! This is going to be massive!

Whilst a loss will be disappointing I don't think it will necessarily spell disaster for the rest of the season.

I think we need to steady ourselves for a big game from Beams against us. Most quality opposition midfielders cut us to threads, even more so when Caff isn't around to curb there influence. I still think we should get over the top of the Lions, for me really depends on the line up we take in, but I do expect Beams to have a massive game.

I think we need to steady ourselves for a big game from Beams against us. Most quality opposition midfielders cut us to threads, even more so when Caff isn't around to curb there influence. I still think we should get over the top of the Lions, for me really depends on the line up we take in, but I do expect Beams to have a massive game.
Beams might not cope with the huge expectations of him - from both teams:D

Beams might not cope with the huge expectations of him - from both teams:D
We really forget how good Beams is once he's left. He's a quality midfielder, big loss but just a prick of a guy!

He'll play good footy this year at Brisbane and rack up some big numbers.

Because the success he wants is premierships. Thatsgold might be negative in his approach but he is a Collingwood supporter with high expectations of this club, expectations that haven't been met in the last few years.
That has nothing to do with TG changing his assessment of other sides on the fly to suit his argument.

Whilst a loss will be disappointing I don't think it will necessarily spell disaster for the rest of the season.
Agreed but I doubt that common sense like that will get in the way of a board meltdown!

How we play and how we win/lose is important. We shouldn't be beaten on fitness or desire. I couln't care less how Beams plays, very interested in whether our forward line can look dangerous though.

We really forget how good Beams is once he's left. He's a quality midfielder, big loss but just a prick of a guy!

He'll play good footy this year at Brisbane and rack up some big numbers.
I'm not doubting his skill as a footballer, but he may not cope with being in the spotlight - the pressure and awkwardness of facing his old team - especially in the first game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not doubting his skill as a footballer, but he may not cope with being in the spotlight - the pressure and awkwardness of facing his old team - especially in the first game.

So Him saying he wanted to get away from the Limelight from living in Melbourne and playing for Collingwood.

Makes you think he could Choke in RD 1?

Agreed but I doubt that common sense like that will get in the way of a board meltdown!

How we play and how we win/lose is important. We shouldn't be beaten on fitness or desire. I couln't care less how Beams plays, very interested in whether our forward line can look dangerous though.

Totally agree. We may not get over the line but we need to give a good account of ourselves. There will be plenty of errors made and the boys will be blowing pretty hard. I think we will steadily improve as the season wears on so I am not too worried if we lose.

Totally agree. We may not get over the line but we need to give a good account of ourselves. There will be plenty of errors made and the boys will be blowing pretty hard. I think we will steadily improve as the season wears on so I am not too worried if we lose.

2nd That. As long as there Desire/Effort is there. I could accept us getting knocked off

2nd That. As long as there Desire/Effort is there. I could accept us getting knocked off

There will be some in here who go off the deep end but most of us realise that it is a long season. I think we are a genuine chance to claim a finals berth this year and I think we will be firing towards the end of the year. The list is well placed, despite what some may think.

There will be some in here who go off the deep end but most of us realise that it is a long season. I think we are a genuine chance to claim a finals berth this year and I think we will be firing towards the end of the year. The list is well placed, despite what some may think.

The Reason why I went Nuts after the Dogs game because there was lack of Desire/Effort in the NAB 3 game. That just Pisses me off

The Reason why I went Nuts after the Dogs game because there was lack of Desire/Effort in the NAB 3 game. That just Pisses me off

From our perspective it does but we must remember that the players have different priorities in this games. It really is all about getting some match fitness and preparing for round 1. I am confident we will see a very different attitude from our boys in round 1.

From our perspective it does but we must remember that the players have different priorities in this games. It really is all about getting some match fitness and preparing for round 1. I am confident we will see a very different attitude from our boys in round 1.

Well - Without the Club saying. It was hard to know what we wanted out of the Game

Well - Without the Club saying. It was hard to know what we wanted out of the Game

I think we are all so desperate for footy that we place far too much emphasis on these practice games. They really are pretty meaningless.

I think we are all so desperate for footy that we place far too much emphasis on these practice games. They really are pretty meaningless.

That is to a Point. No Footy for so Long and we just want to get back into it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back