Zing bails: the counterfactual

Remove this Banner Ad

blackcat

Irving's godfather and handle
Dec 29, 2003
Beverly Hills 90210 Antifa bracket
AFL Club
Richmond
The Zing bails can stay at current weight, they just need to have a new gutter which is not the same depth, and/or the wickets with the same penetration.

the premise is, the bails v wicket design should be no different versus 5 years ago.

If Smith is out in this dismissal, the World Cup takes on a much different shape. Australia 3 down, and under immense pressure, and we saw what happened in the preliminary stages when NZ went up against the Australians in Dunedin or wherever.

esoteric curiosity: Sergei Bubka actually influenced a change in the pole vault bar versus rest-stay when he was on the board of the IAAF. or, I have read some conspiracy on this. It was mooted that the Australian red-head Steve Hooker when he was flirting with the WR and attempting it in competition, was disadvantaged v Bubka.

note: The French polevaulter took down the record in about 2013. But I dare say, Hooker may have completed a higher vault in training, just like Bubka is sure to have done higher in training, and kept doing 1cm progresses for Nike bonuses.

Anyway, zing bails, either make them feather light, the technology would exist by no need to do an expensive proposition, just make the zing bails trench more shallow. And make sure the stumps are not screwed into the wickets so they can give some. Cos smith shoulda been out.

the wind used to blow the bails off on a windy stage.
It still does sometimes.

That ball wouldnt have knocked off any bails anywhere, even if they were gently balanced on stumps with no groove at all.
It happened twice in the tournament. Do a statistical regression about its likelihood
How would that be of any use at all?

The zing bails seemed to work ok here. Can you explain that?
044231218047143037203067085010178046132060119101.gif

I once played against a school who forgot to bring bails, so instead of playing without they rested a twig atop the stumps which stuck out too far both sides. I got bowled leaving a ball because it flicked the end of the twig, which shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Anyway, I love the zing bails. Long may they reign.

Non-issue.

The ball has hit non-zing bails plenty of times with them not coming off. Just a few isolated incidents, neither time really 'smashed' the stumps.

Exactly right. I've followed the game for many years and have seen many circumstances where the ball has made contact with the stumps but the bails haven't fallen. I'm critical of a few things in contemporary cricket, but I think the Zing Bail is a winner. It really does assist the umpire in knowing precisely when the bail is dislodged.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

blackcat is right. The bails/groove is designed so it just doesn't randomly fall off. Any friction with the ball should see it drop off. Smith was out.
So why bother with the bails? Why not just say if the ball touches the stumps you're out?

So why bother with the bails? Why not just say if the ball touches the stumps you're out?
makes it easier to ascertain. and because history and the game developed with such rules intrinsic to the game.

the bails inandof themselves, are not the reason, it is the rules that are the foundation and reason. And the bails became intrinsic to understanding the game and its attendant rules.

makes it easier to ascertain. and because history and the game developed with such rules intrinsic to the game.

the bails inandof themselves, are not the reason, it is the rules that are the foundation and reason. And the bails became intrinsic to understanding the game and its attendant rules.
No tradition is you're out if the bails are removed. You're acting like this is the first time in the history of cricket that the ball has contacted the stumps without the bails coming off.

blackcat is right. The bails/groove is designed so it just doesn't randomly fall off. Any friction with the ball should see it drop off. Smith was out.

Well no, he wasn't out.

I don't see how this is a zing bail issue since it happens occasionally with traditional bails. A quirk of the game and nothing more.

Exactly right. I've followed the game for many years and have seen many circumstances where the ball has made contact with the stumps but the bails haven't fallen. I'm critical of a few things in contemporary cricket, but I think the Zing Bail is a winner. It really does assist the umpire in knowing precisely when the bail is dislodged.
I made that exact argument to you and you rubbished me for it.

I made that exact argument to you and you rubbished me for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back